Latest instalment in the cat saga...

Diane

After posting up the other week about our lovely aussie cat Smudge getting run over, and how devastated we all were, I thought I'd just update the story a little.

Firstly, thanks so much for all the messages of support I got on here, I was really touched. Felt pretty stupid being so upset about a pet, but it made me feel I wasn't the only daft one anyway.

I spent a week missing Smudge pretty much all the time - in the morning when I walked the dog, she wasn't there to come with us, or to greet us on our return. The dog couldn't understand why I started crying everytime we got home - just barked at me! At night I couldn't sleep because she always slept on me (mostly on my head - she was wierd like that!) so I missed that and couldn't stop thinking about her.

By the end of the week I couldn't stand it anymore and started looking on Gumtree at kitten ads, and calling up the rescue centres.

This Sunday, we drove down to Lonsdale RSPCA (gosh, it's scary that far south!) and picked up our new kitten, Ducati ('Duke') - another beautiful grey one, but this time a male (in the hope I won't constantly be comparing him to his predecessor), who is already proving to be such a character. He has somehow made it less painful for us to remember Smudge and talk about her. Perhaps we should have waited longer, but I don't like being sad, or seeing the kids sad, and this seems right for us.

For anyone looking for a cat, kitten, puppy or dog, the RSPCA is wonderful - they are helpful, friendly and lovely people there and I'd recommend them totally. I'll try and post up a pic of Duke soon for any other cat people out there. If you're not a cat person, please disregard my ramblings!

After posting up the other week about our lovely aussie cat Smudge getting run over, and how devastated we all were, I thought I'd just update the story a little.

Firstly, thanks so much for all the messages of support I got on here, I was really touched. Felt pretty stupid being so upset about a pet, but it made me feel I wasn't the only daft one anyway.

I spent a week missing Smudge pretty much all the time - in the morning when I walked the dog, she wasn't there to come with us, or to greet us on our return. The dog couldn't understand why I started crying everytime we got home - just barked at me! At night I couldn't sleep because she always slept on me (mostly on my head - she was wierd like that!) so I missed that and couldn't stop thinking about her.

By the end of the week I couldn't stand it anymore and started looking on Gumtree at kitten ads, and calling up the rescue centres.

This Sunday, we drove down to Lonsdale RSPCA (gosh, it's scary that far south!) and picked up our new kitten, Ducati ('Duke') - another beautiful grey one, but this time a male (in the hope I won't constantly be comparing him to his predecessor), who is already proving to be such a character. He has somehow made it less painful for us to remember Smudge and talk about her. Perhaps we should have waited longer, but I don't like being sad, or seeing the kids sad, and this seems right for us.

For anyone looking for a cat, kitten, puppy or dog, the RSPCA is wonderful - they are helpful, friendly and lovely people there and I'd recommend them totally. I'll try and post up a pic of Duke soon for any other cat people out there. If you're not a cat person, please disregard my ramblings!

Great story Diane, it will not replace the cat you lost just help with the mourning process we found it did when we lost Mr B.

Secondly i cnt believe they let you into the south....:jiggy:

HG

Was sorry to hear about your cat but I think you've done the right thing especially for the kids. Cats are great pets so full of fun and affection.

Our cat has been missing since last Thursday she's gone missing before and we've always got her back as she is microchipped. I got a call from the Vet this morning to say she'd been handed in and was in a bit of a mess she has a wound on her front leg and was covered in wet moss like stuff and was in shock, they had to give her an anesthetic so they could fix her wound which they think is bite from something and she is now on fluids for the night. I went into visit her and she looks so sad. I should hopefully get her home tomorrow but now I feel really bad cause in a few weeks we are going to start to have to look for a new home for her as unfortunately we can't afford to bring her with us.

Sorry for rambling and hijacking this thread just wanted to share with someone.

Jo :sad:

Guest JoTanCalOwen
I went into visit her and she looks so sad. I should hopefully get her home tomorrow but now I feel really bad cause in a few weeks we are going to start to have to look for a new home for her as unfortunately we can't afford to bring her with us.

Sorry for rambling and hijacking this thread just wanted to share with someone.

Jo :sad:

Hi jo,

Don't feel sad, she is still alive, and she will cope, it will give you time now to find the perfect loving family home for her, knowing what your future is. She will be fine, as long as she has love, food and a cuddle she will adapt. :cute:

xx

Oh Jo, you poor thing. Thank goodness she was found though, there must be nothing worse than not knowing what's happened. It is really tough having to leave her behind too, but we did that with a cat in the UK - I left her with a friend of ours and to be honest, it's the best thing that could have happened - both the friend and the cat (Grace) are totally besotted with each other, so I'm sure your one will settle happily with whoever you leave her.

Diane

xx