Reasons not to get Foxtel

Guest Woody and Jane

Guest Woody and Jane

When we moved into our rental house we thought we'd stump up for Foxtel as we were used to having SKY+ back in England and once you're used to pausing, rewinding and series linking programs you can't go back to watching normal telly.

We started watching programmes and series linking things that were "New to Foxtel" thinking they were the latest series and they weren't, they were 1 or 2 series old. All of the new programmes are actually on normal TV/Freeview.

Having the new series' on channels 7, 9 and 10 wouldn't be a problem with SKY back in the UK but Foxtel doesn't actually broadcast them so you can't watch or record any of the good programmes you want to without flicking your TV back to Freeview or normal TV but then you can't record them.

Now with six months left on our Foxtel contract we are moving into our new home, no more renting yay! So I ring Foxtel to tell them we're moving and they said that they will charge us $100 to send an engineer round to the new house to plug the box in. I told them I didn't require their assistance to plug the box in as it's a simple matter of plugging cables into the existing sockets on the wall. After getting nowhere and being told it's a standard charge that everyone has to pay I was also told that if I plug it in I will void its warranty (seriously!!!???). After a few more minutes of me telling them how ridiculous they were I resigned myself to the fact I would have to pay the $100.

After getting off the phone and speaking to a colleague I was told that if the wall connection is there and you have a valid card in the box you should just start receiving the signal as normal. Does anyone know if this is true? If so I'll plug it in on the day of the move and cancel the engineer who is booked for the day after.

If we weren't locked into a 12 month contract I'd have ditched Foxtel long ago. I hope any potential Foxtel customers out there find this usefull.

Woody.

Guest ade&emma

I like having foxtel but...... the thing that really annoys me is when the footballs on and they have multiple games on one channel, unless your team are the featured game you cant record it. Even if you turn it on to the game you want then press record it still wont do it. Really annoys me.

Guest Woody and Jane
I could not do with out foxtel there is so much stuff on it that is not on free to air tv. My tv is never on free to air.;)

We watch a lot of American stuff like Lost, 2 and a Half Men, House, How I Met Your Mother, Supernatural, V, Entourage and The Big Bang Theory to name but a few. All of which have the lastest series on free to air.

When you pay as much as you do for Foxtel you'd think they'd stump up some cash for some new programmes and not just concentrate on their sports channels.

Can you tell I'm a bit peeved with Foxtel at the mo? I think I'm hiding it really well. :)

Guest Woody and Jane
Lol.... theres a foxtel advert at the bottom of the page!

You're right! Now they are just mocking me. I won't be surprised if they ring me up in a minute to inform me that my Mother is a hamster and that my Father smells of elderberries.

Use the stuff on the advert against them. I did and got a free upgrade from standard Foxtel to Foxtel IQ. I just asked them how they could justify giving all that free stuff to new customers who have never paid them a cent and they wanted to charge me $100 to upgrade my service. That was a bit much for the customer service chap I was talking to and he put me through to "someone with more authority than him" (probably the "common sense" department). Didn't realise how good Sky were till I got Foxtel!! Having said that, we wouldn't be without it as the free to air stuff is 75% rubbish.

We had alot of probs with Foxtel when we moved the staff were rude,cut our services 2 weeks before we moved and after waiting in all day at the new house for us toget reconnected we found out they went to our old house:nah:. After many phone calls I did get my $100 back as a sweetner!!

We get the 'normal'channels as Foxtel comes through a cable here but when we had the dish we couldn't.

Also if you do have Foxtel check every now and then about there packages we have just changed our package got lot more channels (still nothing on them) for an extra $2:D

Guest Woody and Jane
we got foxtel through cable and we can watch 7,9,10 etc through the foxtel and are able to series link and record all new stuff, so we never have to switch to standard tv, they def try and tuck you up there, sure we didnt pay any engineer fees when we moved.

I really wish they'd told me that because we'd need a dish we won't be able to watch 7, 9 and 10. Although they do put a lot of rubbish on (like Hey Hey It's Saturday, how does it get so many viewers?) they do get all the new stuff first. Maybe I'd be better off with a TiVo.

We started watching programmes and series linking things that were "New to Foxtel" thinking they were the latest series and they weren't, they were 1 or 2 series old. All of the new programmes are actually on normal TV/Freeview.

Sorry to seem rude and to the point, but that statement is way off the mark.

I watch Relocation Relocation every day, selling houses Australia every Wednesday etc....where are they are FTA? You shoud lahve said, some programmes that are new on Foxtel are shown on FTa first. however FTA has more adverts.....Foxtel also don't delay live sport for us in SA.

As for Viewers Choice and recording, you will be able to in the future, I am assured.

Guest Woody and Jane

Sorry for using a broad generalisation I forgot there may be pedants reading this. I should have been more specific and said that most of the programmes we watch were on Free to Air long before Foxtel picked them up. Of course Foxtel has some exclusives but in my opinion the quality and quantity of them doesn't warrant the price tag.

Not being a Freeview customer, what extra channels do they have? Comparing it to any STB or Built in Digital tuner.

Freeview is not comparable to Foxtel. It all depends what you want, the fact you (or anyone else) doesn't need it is fine, but the OP was wrongly stating a reason not to get the service, which was more than a tad misleading IMO.

Guest Woody and Jane
Anyhow, before you signed up why didn't you check the foxtel website (TV Guide) or read the paper to see what they have? Maybe I am missing something, but surely you would have looked before you buy?

Now that would require common sense. :confused:

Guest needtogonow

It does seem ridiculously overpriced for what it broadcasts.

We were looking at getting it and having second thoughts due to the fee but thanks for that, you have made the choice easier and we will be 100 dollars better off each month!

We couldn't see any point in having Foxtel. Poor value for money & not as good as the choice on Sky. We have Freeview, get HD broadcasts, and a Sony PVR to record stuff (which we brought from the UK) so we can skip through the adverts. The remainder we get from iPlayer. For movies, we buy the DVD's of the movies we want to watch when they have dropped in price. There are plenty of sports on Freeview too. Miss British Eurosport though for the World SBK & British SBK.

Poor value for money & not as good as the choice on Sky.

As the OP in your opinion it's not value for money, in mine its worth every $. Of course there isn't as good choice as BSKYB, UK has 60million people Aus 22m. Comparing one country to another is not worth it IMO, it just confuses the brain and the mind. And that's not just the case for Foxtel, in all things.

Cricket, Football, tennis, golf etc...if you love watching them (LIVE!!!!) you will be disappointed with FTA

Guest Guest75

Alright,alright,alright boys and girls!!:wideeyed:

I think it's clear we all have our own views on Satellite TV.

Can we keep it civil + be careful of slagging off large commercial companies as the site can be sued:unsure:

My personal opinion is that "Satellite TV" is OK, a lot of the UK stuff can be a year or two old but when you have been here a while it is new to you.

A lot of terrestrial tv is just bilge to me but some posters here like it.

We are all different.

As the OP in your opinion it's not value for money, in mine its worth every $. Of course there isn't as good choice as BSKYB, UK has 60million people Aus 22m. Comparing one country to another is not worth it IMO, it just confuses the brain and the mind. And that's not just the case for Foxtel, in all things.

Cricket, Football, tennis, golf etc...if you love watching them (LIVE!!!!) you will be disappointed with FTA

In my house Foxtel is worth every $!!!! All the sport...and the great programmes on UKTV..

Currently watching Jonathan Ross Show which is only a few weeks behind...

Only follow a couple of things on 'free' TV...

Majority of viewing is on Foxtel...wouldnt be without it...;)but we are a family of 6 who have different viewing choices...so suits us all

My personal opinion is that "Satellite TV" is OK, a lot of the UK stuff can be a year or two old but when you have been here a while it is new to you.

Tyke, this is so true....I dont really care if i am watching something that is a couple of years old...having been here for 5 years...its all new to me!

We have Foxtel with all the trimmings,$145 pm for 2 tvs.Personally i can take it or leave it,spend most of the time when watching it viewing such as Eggheads,Antiques Roadshow and the Car rebuild programmes.Never thought beforehand that it would be like this!It is over rated IMO,but my wife enjoys having Foxtel,so we are all different,even in the same house.Live and let live.:)