What is it with tradies?

suzer

Seriously, what gives? I find when I need a job quoted I need to contact at least twice as many tradies as I actually want a quote from. Many either don't show or never get back to me with an actual quote, despite follow ups. I hear this from loads of people in Oz. Is it just that there are that many jobs out there that you're at their whim?!

When I do get someone good I make sure I pass the recommendation on to others any chance I get!

Guest Gina & Alan

Hi Suzer just read your thread, well we have been in adelaide a couple of months now and i speialise in floor sanding/polishing and wood floor installations.

Taffordbark (martin) is a friend of mine as we are in similar line of business and a very good lad, has helped me a lot.

But if you know anyone that needs timber floors renovating, i,m your man and will turn up

regards Alan

0415 767600

www.profloorsanding.com

Hi Suzer just read your thread, well we have been in adelaide a couple of months now and i speialise in floor sanding/polishing and wood floor installations.

Taffordbark (martin) is a friend of mine as we are in similar line of business and a very good lad, has helped me a lot.

But if you know anyone that needs timber floors renovating, i,m your man and will turn up

regards Alan

0415 767600

www.profloorsanding.com

Thanks Alan. We're very happy with Martin. And in a few years time, will need our 2 front rooms (hardwood floors) completely re-done, sanded & stained etc so will remember you then.

The Tradies are really unreliable. Also it's a good idea to get a few quotes. When we had our cottage built the first quote for site clearing was $8500. The second one was $2000 for the same specs!

When we needed some rendering... Ian, a tradie from this site was there at the arranged time and the quote was received promptly. We also got good service when we needed a kitchen renovated. I think that Shane the kitchen fitter also has an ad on this site.

I guess that you get good and bad service everywhere.

Tamara

Guest Libby1971

I'm not entirely sure that it is fair to generalise. Many of my dearest friends are tradies and I have nothing but the deepest respect for the professional manner in which they conduct their business which is, after all, their livelihood.

I'm not entirely sure that it is fair to generalise. Many of my dearest friends are tradies and I have nothing but the deepest respect for the professional manner in which they conduct their business which is, after all, their livelihood.

I didn't - read it again Libby.

Guest Guest75

We have had lots of "fun" with tradies.

Wild quotes,folk not turning up.

It does seem to be the norm here.

Eventually you can build a network of contacts.

Good to keep an eye out in here as well.

We have had lots of "fun" with tradies.

Wild quotes,folk not turning up.

It does seem to be the norm here.

Eventually you can build a network of contacts.

Good to keep an eye out in here as well.

True - this is generally the 1st place I look for recommendations.

Guest Guest75

Give them a recommendation on here Libby.

It would be good to know there are some good tradies out there :):)

Give them a recommendation on here Libby.

It would be good to know there are some good tradies out there :):)

I had a friend who was an electrician, and mainly did the electrics for domestic and industrial air-conditioning, but did other electrical jobs when things were slack. When he was busy, if asked for a quote he would quote an outlandish price, and sometimes people would accept it! If that happened, he would drop other potential quotes/jobs for the more lucrative ones. That's the greedy world we live in I suppose. Oh. and some customers seem to have more money than sense.

Guest Guest75
I had a friend who was an electrician, and mainly did the electrics for domestic and industrial air-conditioning, but did other electrical jobs when things were slack. When he was busy, if asked for a quote he would quote an outlandish price, and sometimes people would accept it! If that happened, he would drop other potential quotes/jobs for the more lucrative ones. That's the greedy world we live in I suppose. Oh. and some customers seem to have more money than sense.

I know someone in another trade that does exactly the same Bill.

Had em' try it on me but they don't get far - I'm from Yorkshire .......which explains everything:biglaugh:

I know someone in another trade that does exactly the same Bill.

Had em' try it on me but they don't get far - I'm from Yorkshire .......which explains everything:biglaugh:

LOL

I had someone give me a roofing quote that was twice as much as another one I'd received - bloody ridiculous, particularly as we're very familiar with what things cost, given the in-laws are builders. Of course, have now had 2 people told us they would come to give quotes and not show, and another show and not give us a quote...

Guest glitter

I have been in Australia for 5 years now and have had so many problems with tradies its not true. Yes it is funny sometimes but other times its quite stressful when they just dont turn up. I found a website

www.serviceseeking.com.au

the idea is that you post the job you have and tradies pay to receive your email address or phone number to quote. They also have to pay to be on the site (you as the customer dont). They apparently are more likely to turn up and try seriously for the job if they have paid etc. I have a concreter coming out on Sunday after using the site so I will let you all know if he doesnt turn up and take back the recommendation!!!!

My Dad has just moved out here from the UK, he is a Joiner, had his own business for 30 years. He cant believe the stories I tell him about workmen here so there is no way he would slip into that mode. Give me a PM if anyone wants to contact him. Im keeping him busy at mine at the moment but Im only paying him in beer so he'd appreciate some dollars!!!!

Guest Woody and Jane

I find Jim's services to be great. I've called them a couple of times now to get things done and you just explain the problem and they get one of their contractors/tradies that's in your area to call you and arrange a time to come out. They seem to do everything. You mainly see Jim's Gardening out and about but we have used them for the pool and some fencing.