Computer techy needed

HEAPS GOOD !!!

Guest BAZnDAF

I'm going to make the assumption that your using a wireless connection.

If so, check that the correct wireless connection is set, and that it is set to auto connect each time.

Also do a virus scan (just in case)

Unless you have specifically set your IP address it will always be lost on shutdown.

Guest becky c

Hi,

We used Southern Vales Computing recently, a chap called Daniel. He did a really good job for reasonable rates. Would definitely use him again, he's from Aldinga so local for you, his number is 0433 335272,

Cheers,

Bec:wubclub:

I'm going to make the assumption that your using a wireless connection.

If so, check that the correct wireless connection is set, and that it is set to auto connect each time.

Also do a virus scan (just in case)

Unless you have specifically set your IP address it will always be lost on shutdown.

Nah mate this desk top is hard wired into the router...........

HG

I can fix it. Probably by giving you advice via this site, for free.PM me if you want. But we can start it in public....the downside being a lot will hijack the the thread and most likely giv eyou wrong info. We need to start at basics and isolate the issue, I have a 100% success rate of helping PIA members, I hope you trust me.

To get things going, what OS are you using?

Is your router a router/modem? Or do you have separate modem?

Anyhow, the most likely problem is it's a firewall issue, turn off ALL security and try.

After answering all these questions and trying the firewall, get back to me.

I wont be on-line tonight but will have my trusty Blackberry, so email me at Matthew (at) e-football.com.au and I can sort you out.

Cheers

Matt

Please see bits in bold.

I'm going to make the assumption that your using a wireless connection. Never assume. It gets you nowhere with computers.

Also do a virus scan (just in case).

Unless you have specifically set your IP address it will always be lost on shutdown. This is untrue, the IP comes from the ISP and is on the modem/router, not your PC. Anyhow, most IP addresses don't change unless you are offline (modem off) for ages (days/weeks), even if you are considered dynamic by your ISP you will find it doesn't change.

I am having some issues with my desktop its losed its IP address when i turn it off, i have found a way to get online but every time i turn it back on i get the same message..

acquiring IP Adress and this goes on forever.:SLEEP:

any help for frustrated Heaps Good.....:arghh:

HG

This is a natural consequence of turning your computer on and off.

Turn it off and connection is lost, turn it on and connection has to be established.

The real question that you are asking is WHY does it take so long to acquire the IP.

Well, first thing you could do is ask yourself when was the last time you did some housekeeping on your pc (virus scan, Disc Clean-up, Defrag)

The next thing you could do is enter the IP address set up details into your browser that came with your Router/Modem and check what the details are against what the original set up was, taking that you printed off the original set up with your Keys etc.

Then, do what you are paying your service provider for and give them a ring and ask for a line check, signal check.

What they will tell you to do is to disconnect your Router/Modem from your pc and leave it to one side for 30 minutes and reconnect it. If that doesn't help then they may tell you to how to do a manufacturers hard reset.

Lastly, if all else fails...Disconnect it, go round Tykes house and hit him alongside his head with it ...the nasty man:biglaugh:

Guest BAZnDAF
Please see bits in bold.

Originally Posted by BAZnDAF viewpost.gif

I'm going to make the assumption that your using a wireless connection. Never assume. It gets you nowhere with computers.

Also do a virus scan (just in case).

Unless you have specifically set your IP address it will always be lost on shutdown. This is untrue, the IP comes from the ISP and is on the modem/router, not your PC. Anyhow, most IP addresses don't change unless you are offline (modem off) for ages (days/weeks), even if you are considered dynamic by your ISP you will find it doesn't change.

This happens a lot on wireless connections, more so than direct connections, hence the assumption, plus OP hadn't stated the connection type.

An IP address can be set on a computer! Its called a static IP address. The IP address can also be provided by a DHCP server, an adsl router can act as a DHCP server, so the IP address from the ISP may not be the same as the computers IP address.

If your considered to have Dynamic IP address then your IP address can change, it is wrong to state that it dosen't.

Also asking someone to switch off all their security when trying to connect to the internet, is not good advice.

but then you probably know all this!

This happens a lot on wireless connections, more so than direct connections, hence the assumption, plus OP hadn't stated the connection type.

An IP address can be set on a computer! Its called a static IP address. The IP address can also be provided by a DHCP server, an adsl router can act as a DHCP server, so the IP address from the ISP may not be the same as the computers IP address.

If your considered to have Dynamic IP address then your IP address can change, it is wrong to state that it dosen't.

Also asking someone to switch off all their security when trying to connect to the internet, is not good advice.

but then you probably know all this!

Are you an computer professional with 20+ years of experience? From your comments I guess you are a home techy who has learned a lot about home networks.

As I said in my previous post, lots of wrong advice and misleading facts, are given I wonder why I bother to try and help.

Guest BAZnDAF
Are you an computer professional with 20+ years of experience? From your comments I guess you are a home techy who has learned a lot about home networks.

As I said in my previous post, lots of wrong advice and misleading facts, are given I wonder why I bother to try and help.

I really don't understand why you are so angry.

17+ years to be exact. Not a home techy at all (I'm gussing that was an assumption), I support a company of 200+ Pc users on 13 different networks plus 3 seperate wireless networks, and a VPN, including hand held scanners.

Just because I come at things differently does not mean I'm wrong!

I don't see where I have been misleading in anyway, and niether do I see where I have given wrong advice!

As regards to making assumptions and wrong advice.

Anyhow, the most likely problem is it's a firewall issue, turn off ALL security and try.

I'll leave it at that.