Sour grapes?

Diane

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nothing new.

I was working in Scotland during the 1986 World Cup (with the infamous Maradona 'hand of god' incident). We English got a lot of stick!! I suppose I was a bit naive at the time and was totally surprised at the anti-English feeling. Some of the banter was good natured but it wasn't a particularly pleasant experience.

I think I remember that cheerful soul Andy Murray making a similar statement last time.

Actually I used to have a really good friend who was Scottish (hello Ali if I ever manage to trace you!) and used to tease her all the time on holiday that she'd prefer to have "Ecosse" on her car than a GB sticker! Which made us English even worse than the French!!!!!

I think its built in to us not to side with the english as they have been so many injustices to the Scottish race at the hands of the english and the poll seems to prove that.

Well i will be baracking for Germany ( birth ) and Australia ( now home ) first game is a tough one tho.....Germany v Australia....:sad:

HG

England should go independent from Scotland, Wales & NI & require visas for all visitors from said countries and Ireland, plus a working/residence visa system like Australia. Lets see how quickly they come crawling back when they realise they can't make it on their own.

Great Britain may no longer be great, but the United Kingdom is certainly not united. I know people of asian background who are more proud to be British than the Scots, Welsh & N Irish and will support England when their country doesn't make it through to the finals. It's a disgrace.

Guest caoimhe
England should go independent from Scotland, Wales & NI & require visas for all visitors from said countries and Ireland, plus a working/residence visa system like Australia. Lets see how quickly they come crawling back when they realise they can't make it on their own.

Great Britain may no longer be great, but the United Kingdom is certainly not united. I know people of asian background who are more proud to be British than the Scots, Welsh & N Irish and will support England when their country doesn't make it through to the finals. It's a disgrace.

Totally agree with you....NI should be independent from England. Why do think there was fighting there for years. We wanted our country back just like Scotland wanted theirs.

OMG Pesty, I think I'd better go have a lie down! I agree with you!!!

Heaven knows what the world is coming to!

Personally I'll be flying an English flag and an Aussie one! England vs Aussie though it'll be England all the way.

Can't wait, hope at least one of those two teams stay in the tournament a while though!!

OMG Pesty, I think I'd better go have a lie down! I agree with you!!!

Heaven knows what the world is coming to!

LOL !! You should have a drink too!

I suppose Australia is the new United Kingdom - all those people from the home countries coming together & living in harmony under one flag. Shame they can't do it back home.

What a load of garbage, what is your background to be an authority on what people think from Scotland,Northern Ireland & Wales.

It is people like you that make the rest of us hope that England do not succeed in the World Cup.

I think you should just pull your head in and keep your obvious bigoted remarks to yourself.

From a PROUD SCOT.

Guest Nick11

Personally I think its just a case of poor sportmanship and not really setting a good example for our children to follow.

I wish all the teams in the world cup the best of luck.

And more importantly we 'll have a great time in cheering our teams on.

It's like I always say..you've gotta be in it to win it.

Actually if it can't be England or Australia, I'd be really thrilled to see one of the African teams win - in the past they've been some of the most entertaining to watch and it would be lovely to see a team from a continent other than Europe or South America take the top spot.

What a load of garbage, what is your background to be an authority on what people think from Scotland,Northern Ireland & Wales.

It is people like you that make the rest of us hope that England do not succeed in the World Cup.

I think you should just pull your head in and keep your obvious bigoted remarks to yourself.

From a PROUD SCOT.

I am proud to be English and British. What upsets me is the people from Scotland, Wales, NI or England who aren't proud to be British at the same time as being from their own land. We are all supposed to be one United Kingdom. I am not a bigot & object strongly to your accusation. Perhaps you should read your own post again though.

I don't care which country or continent people come from. It's the person inside that counts. All too easy to judge someone from a few comments on a forum. :jimlad:

I think you have missed the bus on this one (England should go Independent) Scotland and Wales have been trying for years to break away.

Guest LOOBYLOO

The 'poll' said that 24% of those asked would support England and 24% hoped they would do badly. Polls are subjective and need to be treated this way.

We are all individuals regardless of where we are from. My husband and I are both Scots and we have placed a bet on England to win and will be supporting them (and Australia) so don't tar us all with the same brush. It's like saying all English football fans are hooligans!

Guest theredmenace

I think the problem Scots have is with the English media. I for one think England have a great team and a really good chance - good luck to you. However this Scot is 100% behind Australia - hopefully itll be my country sooner rather than later. Should be interesting, go to Egypt, arrive on the Thursday and it might be England v Australia on the Saturday - sorry folks but Ive got my Australia kit ready, might be interesting!! Ha ha . I guess Ill be the only one there singing Advance Australia Fair!!

Anyway, good luck to you, as I say the average guy on the street and the players are all good guys, but the media....

And for the record Im VERY proud to be British

Guest caoimhe
What upsets me is the people from Scotland, Wales, NI or England who aren't proud to be British at the same time as being from their own land. . :jimlad:

I can't speak for anyone else but I do not class myself as British and never will. What upsets me is English people trying to tell me I am British because their ancestors invaded and stole the land from mine. My countrymen may have be forced to live under British rule but that is not something for me to be proud of.

Guest Fat Boy Fat
I can't speak for anyone else but I do not class myself as British and never will. What upsets me is English people trying to tell me I am British because their ancestors invaded and stole the land from mine. My countrymen may have be forced to live under British rule but that is not something for me to be proud of.

I have taken off my first post off I can't be bothered.

Guest caoimhe
Just as many people in NI who don't want to be ruled by the Irish or the church of rome

If you read my thread you will notice that I stated I speak for myself and that I don't and never will class myself as British. I never insinuated that the whole population of Northern Ireland felt the same.