Solar Power (advantages & Disadvantages)

Guest smurph

Guest smurph

Hi

apart from the incentives to get it and also the environment etc...

basically we are thinking of getting solar power and before i get someone in to quote, i thought i would ask you knowledgeably guys...

average cost to install (ie 1.5 or 1.7kw)????

our roof where we are thinking of putting it is north facing so this should generate well.

what ongoing maintenance is there, if any?

all info greatly appreciated. :v_SPIN:

Hi there,

I am looking at puting solar power systems into two houses. I have two quotes already and am waiting for the pre paid electricity meters to be removed. I already have solar hot water and they work well.

With the rebates for the power systems they come to around $3000 for 1.5 kw systems.

AGL have the best deal at the moment...as your electricity supplier. They add a further 4 cents to the feed in tarrif ie; the amount that you can get back from putting electricity into the grid.

The only problem that I can see with the installation is that it relies upon peoples co-operation to make it pay. If you use a lot of electricity during the day (clothes dryers, dishwashers, aircons etc) then you don't get to feed ant power into the grid and you don't save anything! If these appliances are operated in the off peak period then you should be ok as you will have fed into the grid, accumulated a credit and then you are using your electricty credit in the cheaper off peak period.

Guest smurph

Thanks Diane &Tamara for replies,

we went to a ZEN meeting last night and they stated i needed a 1.7kw system and with all the discounts / rebates etc the system was going to cost $7000 + now to get that money back would take some years, unless people are getting a fair bit back when selling back but i don't seem to be able to find any stats on this data... and we are a couple, work all day, tile slanted roof north facing and only use 6khw ( i think)$1.28 per day and she said last night we are a really low user of electricity and in the right position to sell it back but i am a bit skeptical. the outlay up front is the issue and how many years potentially i am going to get my money back.... so i guess i am still very unsure.

The 1.7 kw systems are considerably more expensive than the 1.5 kw. The total cost for the 1.5 kw system is $2880 and the company is solar first. They are selling the systems from Bunnings and we get a discount which takes the cost down to $2350.

The feedback tarrif is 48 cents plus the additional 4 cents from AGL =52 cents per unit.

You are adding $10,000 value to the house and geting cash back from lower electricity charges so i reckon it's a good deal. With the expected increase in electricty costs over the next few years i think that it's a good investment.

• 7 months later...

We had someone come round to look at installing a solar system.

We were open to ideas but he recommended that we did not go ahead with it because of the amount of trees around our house.

Since we live in a suburban area and we seem to get p,enty of sun, I was a bit surprised but grateful for his honesty.

So perhaps it's worth bearing in mind that not everyone will benefit from installing a solar system. I know nothing but I do trust our expert as he was a salesman with many years experience, a good track record and from a reputable company.

Wish we could though :sad:

LC

Guest guest569

we're in the process of getting quotes at the moment. we had Zen and solaworx last week and have Love energy and the solar shop coming this week. were looking at a 3kw system and quotes are coming in at the moment between $8500 and $9000 after the rebate.