Wolf Spider

Guest needtogonow

Guest needtogonow

Morning,

Found this Beauty climbing up my inside net door this morning. :shocked:

My spider senses tell me its a Wolf spider? Can anyone shed some light on this as we are still not spider clued up yet!

Thanks,

Bex

that is a wolf spider..it can bite you only if you provoke it. it got its name as the wolf spider that hunt in packs i bet near by there will be it's home, next time your in your garden walk around front or rear garden and look for round holes in dirt this will be its home and burrows down (how it makes this hole ive still to find out) ive taken a pic of a wolf spider that is carrying her babys on her back (approx 100 baby) i will find it and post pic

alex

Guest Scrappin' Julie
Morning,

Found this Beauty climbing up my inside net door this morning. :shocked:

My spider senses tell me its a Wolf spider? Can anyone shed some light on this as we are still not spider clued up yet!

Thanks,

Bex

...that photo has just turned me all cold :shocked::arghh:

that is a wolf spider..it can bite you only if you provoke it. it got its name as the wolf spider that hunt in packs i bet near by there will be it's home, next time your in your garden walk around front or rear garden and look for round holes in dirt this will be its home and burrows down (how it makes this hole ive still to find out) ive taken a pic of a wolf spider that is carrying her babys on her back (approx 100 baby) i will find it and post pic

alex

How can you tell the difference between a wolf spider and a huntsman? They look similar similar when you research them on the web :)

Cheers,

Cooler

Guest kangomik

That looks like a huntsman. You get quite a few when it rains, they tend to know when the storms are comming to and find away in side, the work shop and shed get a few from now on in until spring

the huntmans are light brownish in color with its front legs are more curved where the wolf spider is greyish to black...have a look at the web site Spider Identification Chart > AUSTRALIA < Venomous Dangerous Spiders

ive had a huntsman give birth in my house ( dame thing screaming keeping me up all night getting hot towels and what knot) anyway i was finding baby huntsman on my ceiling everyday for about a week..not a bad thing as they get all insects in house but not good when you find webs everywhere

alex

Guest Scrappin' Julie
the huntmans are light brownish in color with its front legs are more curved where the wolf spider is greyish to black...have a look at the web site Spider Identification Chart > AUSTRALIA < Venomous Dangerous Spiders

ive had a huntsman give birth in my house ( dame thing screaming keeping me up all night getting hot towels and what knot) anyway i was finding baby huntsman on my ceiling everyday for about a week..not a bad thing as they get all insects in house but not good when you find webs everywhere

alex

:arghh: EWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Guest Damien

Wolf spiders are easy to identify. They have a prominent union jack marking on their abdomen. Be careful though as they are venomous, apparently they can kill a dog!

Guest katsmajic

They'll certainly beat the dog in an arm wrestle, but unlikely to kill one.

Our cat got bitten on his privates by a wolfie - had to be hospitalised and on antibiotics - once the pain had gone he was well proud of having huge balls again.

Then dog got bitten on her lip - from chasing a wolfie - she looked like she'd had a stroke, drooling, droopy lip etc and rather swollen but was fine the next day.

Hub, teens and the mother have had wolfie bites - the males say its like no pain on earth - the females said its worse than a mozzie bite. :biglaugh:

Both males ended up on antibiotics though, must have been much bigger/nastier wolfies that bit them!

Our ozzie neighbour(wife) said a hunty bite is like being stabbed through the hand with a garden fork!

Wolf spiders are easy to identify. They have a prominent union jack marking on their abdomen. Be careful though as they are venomous, apparently they can kill a dog!

Guest Admar72

Eerrr, all this talk about spiders is making me feel even more uneasy than i am already! My daughter found a huntsman in her bedroom sunday night and wouldn't sleep in there (dont blame her for that) Anyway didn't know what the heck to do with it so waited untill monday for hubbie to get home from work so he could deal with it. He just sucked it up the hoover and then let it go in the garden. Now I keep thinking i'm seeing things out of the corner of my eyes......Paranoid!!

Guest needtogonow

alex

Holy smoke :arghh:! And there was I thinking I was brave to get that close to the hairy blighter to take the photo. Luckily for him he survived to tell the tale.

Wolf spider bite are just like a bee sting unless you get a reaction to one. I did last year when I got bitten on the leg I had elephant size leg for weeks and even now i still get a itching feeling where I got bitten. I have been bitten by almost everything since I have been here I must just be tasty:p

Guest Carla

Huntsmen don't make webs! They run to catch their prey, which is why they can outsmart even the most quick witted human with glass and coaster :) We have 2 living in our house at the moment, and I've opted to keep both of them for that very reason. They keep themselves to themselves, stay high up in the cornices (mainly) and will only nip if provoked.

I did have a Huntsman with a 9cm diameter come knocking in my kitchen about a year ago and that had to go - I've attached a piccie for your amusement. And by 'had to go' - I mean it was released into the garden to find a better life :)

Guest kangomik

The sowters

The 2nd one looks like a huntsman with Babies on board.

I have a cracking picture of a red back taken this weekend, LOL i brushed my hand over it clearing a web and felt something grab.

White tips i hate, still have the scars on my leg and it still itches 2 years later.

Carla am i right in thinking that huntsmen actually jump to cath their prey. Fly's etc.

I used to take close up shots of these untill i was told as i was informed they can leap quite away and sometimes dont like letting go LOL.

The best to keep are daddy long leg spiders, they eat most of the others.

Bites - again i am told - depend on what the spider has been eating, if they eat more venomous spiders then your bite will be more toxic. Makes sence to me.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

CArlas pic is a huntsman, and the other 2 are wolfies one without childs and one with! We get these all the time, try catching them and their babies all at once!!

You can tell the dif between wolf and hunts by the shape of their front legs, wolfie being forward facing and hunty being curved crab like. Also a wolf has a kind of union jack marking on its body.

Guest needtogonow
Woops forgot to mention the family pet we left behind "Dave" the Wolf Spider. He is a friendly guy. lol

Steve

:biglaugh::biglaugh: As long as you haven't left his wife big "Sheila" behind.

BTW, feel free to come and pick him up!

Bex.

Guest kangomik
Oh my god I have changed my mind I am not coming lol. I just keep trying to forget about the killer spiders lol

Don't worry too much, you generally have to look really hard for red backs, I haven't met a wolfie, but i used to have a huntsman guard my tool box in the work shop, they rarely move once your around, and they munch the over stuff so i leave em alone.

White tips are a pain, they get in the house, so don't leave clothes in piles, then like it in there. Spray in side the house with Mortien once every 3 or 6 months and you should be fine.

Snakes etc leave em alone, give em a wide berth and they will be gone in a few hours.

If you bring kids educate them early, don't scare them but make them aware of whats not good and where these things will hide. If they do get bit it's important for them to remember what it was that bit them. Because the parent will freak out straight away :arghh::arghh: