Sunday Morning Decisions....

Guest rachinadelaide

Guest rachinadelaide

This morning my husband decided we should buy a boat and travel around Australia in it. We will go where the jobs take us and live on the boat. We must have had far too much to drink last night as it sounds like a great idea.

I'm sure there are many reasons why this is an insane idea.... the biggest issue is that we have no money to buy a boat!! We will have to start a savings plan.

Can anyone advise on sea-going boats that would be suitable for living on? I have looked on the internet but am not sure what type of boat is sea-worthy. We need a price range so we know how many internal organs we will have to sell in order to make this plan come to fruition!

Thanks!!

If you haven't already done so, you should look at doing some courses in sailing and navigating and stuff - that way you will keep the dream alive for minimum cost, and meet others in the boating world, and be able to pick their brains! OH and I always used to say we were going to head off round Europe on a motorbike for a year - then that was supplanted by coming here instead, but I think yours is a great idea!

Guest DanandJanna

Sounds like an amazing adventure!

If you haven't already you will need to get a licence to use a boat in SA, not sure about other states. This will be a good starting off point but it would be worth doing a course similar to the RYA day skipper course in the uk that teaches you a bit more about basic seamanship, navigation etc. Depending how far off shore you are thinking of going, a course like the day skipper should be enough for you to navigate around the coast of oz.

You'll also need to build up some experience on the water if you haven't much. Again sailing or motorboat courses would be a good start but having your own boat to get out as much as possible would be best. You should have plenty of shorter trips up and down the coast under your belt before setting off on the big one.

As for getting a boat it depends on how much experience you have. If its not much start small and get confident on the water then move on to something bigger until you feel ready to handle something big enough to take you around Australia safely. How big is up to you really, it could be done in something relatively small and uncomfortable, Jessica Watson sailed around the world in a 10m boat but most people would prefer something a bit bigger!

Once you start looking you will find that there are a lot of factors when choosing a boat, from the obvious such as power or sail to the less obvious like the type of prop or anchor. Again experience will guide your decison making in a lot of cases.

As for cost, the sky is the limit but don't be put off by the mega expensive boats. Remember that the price of the boat is only the start, there are endless navigation and safety gadgets as well as mooring and maintenance costs so allow for these when working on your budget. More often than not the basic kit does just the same job as the more expensive.

Boats for Sale Australia | Boat Ads & Boat Buying – Boats Online is a good place to see the range of boats around and you'l get an idea of what they are capable of although some of the prices make your eyes water!

If you are seriously thinking of setting off on your adventure join some boat clubs and get chatting to other boaties, its generally quite a friendly community and once you hear a few stories from people who have done similar trips you'll find that its actually very doable, thats the exciting part!

Well, it must be a day of making decisions!

Yesterday we had to have our beloved dog put to sleep due to old age. A lot of crying since then - - both of us. Needing to make plans for an adventure to keep us occupied. Been here 37yrs but never been been to Queensland or up that side of Oz. Retired now. So while you were planning your boat trip around Australia we were planning doing it in a caravan. Have to buy the caravan first. Pleased now that I recently got a driving license - - at 68yrs.Better late than never.

Guest kangomik

If the sky's the limit a nice sunseeker should do it, well worth a look on their web site.

But if you haven't won the lotto ( a big one at that) then you need to get some practice in, start small then get bigger.

Sailing is the romantic way, however it's very physical, so you can't beat the engine power of a motor crusier.

Cracking idea, i wish you all the best, sat and had many a chat with Yachty's from around the world, some of their experience's are amazing.

Guest rachinadelaide

Thanks for all the advice and enthusiasm!! We will start making enquiries into getting ourselves trained and licensed - that'll be fun anyway. I'd not thought about starting with a small boat and getting used to that before moving on to a bigger one - excellent advice, thanks!

I think we really will do this. We will have to plan and save so it probably won't happen for a couple of years but the preparation is going to be lots of fun.

Sorry to hear about your dog Milly - it's heartbreaking. We unexpectedly lost our 11 year old cat 2 weeks ago and it's horrible. Having things to look forward to is important. We may see you somewhere around the coast of Aus - you in your caravan and us in our boat! Be warned - this boat idea stemmed from the round Aus in a caravan idea.....

Here's to wild ideas and adventures!!!

Guest kangomik

I think west lakes have a sailing club, i know they do stuff for schools, Get a few lessons in the small sailing dingy's you will be rolling around laffing when it all goes wrong and thats on the flat stuff. If you don't fall in your doing well LOL

Guest rachinadelaide

We are lucky that we live close to the lake so there is no excuse for us not to be able to try some stuff out. We have tried windsurfing a couple of times and spent more time in the water than on the board! I've always fancied trying out those little dinghy things with sails - now we have the perfect reason!

Guest motlyman

I would highly recommend joining sea rescue squadron at west beach.

They offer all sorts of courses from basic radio 27meg, vhf, to seamanship courses.

The seamanship course is 6 weeks of three hours on a thursday night and giving you the training to take your boat license test at the end.

All the guys have had masses of experience and are on active service.

colin

I would highly recommend joining sea rescue squadron at west beach.

They offer all sorts of courses from basic radio 27meg, vhf, to seamanship courses.

The seamanship course is 6 weeks of three hours on a thursday night and giving you the training to take your boat license test at the end.

All the guys have had masses of experience and are on active service.

colin

What a great idea. I've been thinking about taking a course for ages but keep putting it off (because getting the finances for a boat is a lonnnggggg way off!).

Guest DanandJanna

No probs i'm sure you will get lots of help from the boating world! Another option instead of buying your own boat could be a boat share, like a time share appartment but for a boat. Ive seen a couple advertised in the 'tiser. Good luck with it all anyway!