Does religion matter?

Diane

Without meaning to open the usual religious can of worms, what do people think about the latest debate concerning the election? Namely, that Australia shouldn't have an atheist as Prime Minister...?

Personally, I would rather have an atheist in charge than a zealot. But does it really matter??

Just interested in people's views....

Guest BAZnDAF

Not sure that it really matters. All politicians have there own agenda anyway, and more often than not they don't have the power to change anything.

as an example:-

you only need to look at Obama and the things he promised the americans to get votes and what he has actually done. One example was saying that he would bring the american troops home within 6 months, and whats he done? just promised to send out 30,000 more troops. Why? because the powers that be told him he can't.

so it makes very little difference who is prime minister and what their beliefs are.

as an example:-

you only need to look at Obama and the things he promised the americans to get votes and what he has actually done. One example was saying that he would bring the american troops home within 6 months, and whats he done? just promised to send out 30,000 more troops.

yup coming from a Yank who voted for Obama and now would be happy to wash my hands of him, you can't trust what any of them say.

I don't think we have to worry too much about religion or lack thereof with Aussie policiticians. This isn't a very religious country, so in the end, it doesn't mean as much.

I just think it is important that politicians have a good sense of right and wrong. Whether they got that from belief in a deity or just their own conscience is completely irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

(Look mam, I managed to hold the can shut)

Guest Alipally

Anyone who's read The Kite Runner would definitely say that a country is better off having a politician who is NOT religious.

There's a really good saying and I think it's too true.

People are capable of doing bad things, but to do something truly evil requires religion. :skeptical:

I not suggesting that one should not believe in God, but I think that organised religion is a BAD thing... History proves this to us over and over again.

Guest RichandHelen

"I am an atheist and yet I believe in the one true God, Money. He does not disciminate against sexes, races, and ages. He feeds me , he clothes me and he shelters me .Without him I am nothing as are you... "

As for the election, keep Julia she`s much better to look at ;)

Anyone who's read The Kite Runner would definitely say that a country is better off having a politician who is NOT religious.

I've just finished listening to The Kite Runner on disc. Great book - really gives you an insight into a different world. Extremely moving.

I have to admit when John Howard (I think it was him) made a speech about Australia being a predominantly Christian country and anyone that comes to live here has to accept that, although obviously being free to practice their own religion, I thought "well done!" - and I've found in Adelaide (which is after all "The City of Churches") some of my best friends are very religious, without pushing it down your throat. I just know there's no point ringing them on a Sunday! It made me feel kind of wierd though to hear a person's religious beliefs brought up as a relevant political fact...and I wondered if it was just me.

Personally my voting preference is totally random - I'm torn between not liking Tony Abbot's ears, and not liking Julia Gillard's hairstyle .... far more important than religion!!

Guest Alipally

Personally my voting preference is totally random - I'm torn between not liking Tony Abbot's ears, and not liking Julia Gillard's hairstyle .... far more important than religion!!

If you think her hair is bad now, you should have seen her with a fringe.... talk about putting a bowl on your head

I found a picture which actually doesn't do it justice!

Guest Messua

Isn't it funny that we should comment that Australia isn't a religious country in this, the "City of Churches"! In the day to day running of things, it perhaps doesn't matter, but as each session starts with a prayer, some Christian belief is, perhaps, expected. Personally, I really don't care what either of them believe. I just want them to stop lying and carry out what they promise to do.... but of course, I'm not only an optimist, but a dreamer too!

Guest katsmajic

I think it does count, being Christian n all, i really dont feel comfortable with that fact that an atheist could run the country, and not concern themselves with the religion issues that may arise - i bet the fanatical muslims will be rubbing their sweaty little hands together and making a point of voting her in.

I know the so called Christian politicians in uk have let it (uk) go to the dogs but really hope the aussies will stand stronger and prouder than to let that happen here.

Guest cornish Busdriver

As someone who doesnt belive in any religion but have lots of religious friends i dont think it realy matters one little bit and why should it.

i can see the pro's and cons on both sides and it wont matter if there religous or not.

Its not what the person beleives in its what the person has done, does and the action they take that counts.

When you start brining religion into things like poitics i think thats when everything goes to the dogs.

Guest katsmajic

Thats the bit thats important, i know, but without some inner moral rights n wrongs its just wrong to have that person in a position of such power.

It seems all pollies are immoral unscrupulous vermin, with no sense of loyalty to anyone or anything...except money...Rich&Helen have hit the nail on the head.

Its not religion in politics as such that sent the uk to the dogs its the pc lovers! and the muppets in the power who bent over for them.

Just my opinion.

Its not what the person beleives in its what the person has done, does and the action they take that counts.

Have to say it made me smile a little when I read this morning that Gillard has apparently been told off for deliberately pronouncing her opponent's name as "Mr Rabbit"!!!!

Isn't it strange that the religion thing has reared it's head when we have a party in contention run by an abbot and a bishop? Spooky......