Black cockatoos

Diane

We get a lot of the white cockatoos going over, and the noisy corellas, but this morning we had a half dozen yellow tailed black cockies flying overhead...and by this afternoon they've found all their friends and there are about 100 of them flying around, with their distinctive and slightly eerie call! Not had this many around that I can remember in the last few years - wonder if it's rough at sea or something?! They're beautiful birds...

http://birdsinbackyards.net/images/audio/calyptorhynchus-funereus.mp3

We've had them here in Hallett Cove for the past month or so. Never noticed them this time of year before and also soooo many of them.

Any ideas, any bird watchers out there? Are they migrating and maybe off course?

Judi x

We've had the odd small flock before, but rare enough that I still stand and watch them as they fly over, but today there were loads of them! I think they like the pine trees near us. It was like a Cockatoo Rave - first there were five of them, then six, then next time I saw them they'd joined up with a few more, and they obviously spent the whole day spreading the word and gathering more and more followers!!

Guest WhatNow?

On the day of the Fishing Comp I stopped at Rivers in Morphett Vale on the way down and a flock of about 6 of them flew across the road - first time I'd seen them in Adelaide. Will have to walk round the corner to Linear Park over the weekend to see if those you saw are still about, Diane.

If you do, Mandy, keep your eye out for the koala that's been hanging about in the trees opposite our house for the last couple of weeks - he's a real sweetie. Just moves to a different tree each night, but stays in the area! Bit of a wildlife walk this morning all in all, with him, the cockies, the grey heron, and some new baby ducklings on the small lake up by the Wickes estate. I'm now worried the fox I've been seeing around will find them!!

Spring is sprung I reckon (although I'm still bloody freezing!)