I-Pad

Ferret

Guest Woody and Jane

I personally don't see the point in the iPad. Sure it looks nice but it's just too limited. Go for a netbook as they're cheaper and will do everything yo need.

Based on your criteria the reasons I wouldn't get an iPad are:

No video camera for video Skype calls

No proper keyboard for typing

You have either a) hold it in one hand and type with the other b) place it on a flat surface and loom over it to type with two hands c) lie/sit with your knees bent to rest it on to type with both hands

You can't use it outside as the screen is so reflective all you'll see is yourself

It doesn't support Flash so you can't view every website that you may want to

However, if you find yourself really really wanting an iPad, consider an iPhone instead. It does more than the iPad, plus it's a phone and it's small.

Woody.

I personally don't see the point in the iPad. Sure it looks nice but it's just too limited. Go for a netbook as they're cheaper and will do everything yo need.

Based on your criteria the reasons I wouldn't get an iPad are:

No video camera for video Skype calls

No proper keyboard for typing

You have either a) hold it in one hand and type with the other b) place it on a flat surface and loom over it to type with two hands c) lie/sit with your knees bent to rest it on to type with both hands

You can't use it outside as the screen is so reflective all you'll see is yourself

It doesn't support Flash so you can't view every website that you may want to

However, if you find yourself really really wanting an iPad, consider an iPhone instead. It does more than the iPad, plus it's a phone and it's small.

Woody.

That old flash argument :biglaugh: iPhones are doing OK.....although they are still not a shadow on a BB (which I live on).

I use Skype every day, and haven't used it with a camera since 2006.

When iPods came out there was a lot of people (like you) saying what's the point.....now look what has happened.

iPads and the like are the future, that is why Dell, Samsung and RIM are bringing such things out. I am sure iPad gen 2 will have a camera a few other things, but everyone I know who has one says they are brilliant.

You don't want one, fair enough, but your arguments against do nothing to say why ferret shouldn't get one. Unless he wants to save money, but that's a different debate.

As for getting an iPhone instead of an iPad, it's a bit like saying buy an apple instead of a pear.....

iPhone, where is the keyboard?

iphone, small screen = not as good for web browsing

iPhone-where is the Flash?

iPhone as an, e-reader?

iPhone remidn me of teh processor speed?

iPhone, what is the memory size?

iPhone, what is the screen resoution?

Guest cornish Busdriver

I had the I Pad and was totally UN Impressed with it for lots of reasons like you can only update it through wireless mac tecnologies, lack of camera, slow, small HD and is well over priced for what it is.

Im now gonna wait till the HP Slate comes out as it may be a little smaller but will be a lot faster, runs windows 7, USB2, micro sim card and HTMI inputs, bigger HD, frant and rear camera's.

The only down side so far is the battery life of only 5hrs compared to the pads 10hrs but then again its a lot more powerfull.

I had the I Pad and was totally UN Impressed with it for lots of reasons like you can only update it through wireless mac tecnologies, lack of camera, slow, small HD and is well over priced for what it is.

Im now gonna wait till the HP Slate comes out as it may be a little smaller but will be a lot faster, runs windows 7, USB2, micro sim card and HTMI inputs, bigger HD, frant and rear camera's.

The only down side so far is the battery life of only 5hrs compared to the pads 10hrs but then again its a lot more powerfull.

So you bought something and then found out what it was capable of :arghh:

The iPad does what it says on the box......

Guest cornish Busdriver

As a programmer, and a bit of a techno geek was just interested if it lived up to the expectation and what it was promoting it self to be and it failed big time on most levels.

Mac better change it soon cause theres quiet a few different ones coming out in the next 12 months that all kick the hell out of the I pad.

As a programmer, and a bit of a techno geek was just interested if it lived up to the expectation and what it was promoting it self to be and it failed big time on most levels.

Mac better change it soon cause theres quiet a few different ones coming out in the next 12 months that all kick the hell out of the I pad.

I am intrigued now, please show me where Apple advertised it as a higher spec, larger HD, having a camera, a different sized SIM card etc? If Apple didn't advertise these things it didn't fail big time ;-)

iPods of today are not the same as the orginal one, so of course it will improve in time.

I guess you program in Windows?

Guest Woody and Jane

Can people stop bad mouthing the iPad, you're upsetting AdelaideNow. He thinks it's brilliant don't you know and won't hear a bad word against it. He's quite obviously a fanboy so any argument you make against the iPad he will feel compelled to respond, no matter how pointless his reply.

Can people stop bad mouthing the iPad, you're upsetting AdelaideNow. He thinks it's brilliant don't you know and won't hear a bad word against it. He's quite obviously a fanboy so any argument you make against the iPad he will feel compelled to respond, no matter how pointless his reply.

Pleas explain how my responses have been pointless. Funny how there has been no comeback with what I have said.....

The ONLY pointless replies are ones where people say they are no good because they bought one and don't use it because it doesn't do certain things....THINGS WHICH IT IS NOT ADVERTISED TO DO.

If you buy a scooter, do you complain its not a 4 wheel drive? It's the same. An iPad is a device to COMPLIMENT your home/business computing. It's not a replacement for anything you already have.

Im now gonna wait till the HP Slate comes out...runs windows 7...

I heard a nasty rumour that it won't actually run W7 but would instead run some kind of Palm OS. Colleague was interested in it until he heard that...not confirmed though but worth noting.

As an iphone user I can see why there is so much hype around the iPad and would have to agree with adelaidenow that it should be considered as a device to be used in compliment with a PC or MAC.

I've played with an iPad instore and I'd love one myself but can't justify the expense on something that I'd struggle to make use of; at the money they go for you really need to be sure that you're buying a device that actually does everything that YOU want it to do.

J.

Thanks for your views and reviews people. Think I'm gonna get a small laptop for my travels. 1 They have dropped quite a bit in price due to the Ipad release. 2 Can hand the laptop down to the kids when Ipad gets some competition and comes down in price. 3 I am used to windows anyhow, so will stick with what I know.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Its true there was a nasty rumour that slate wouldnt run W7 but would instead run some kind of Palm OS and for a while it seamed like that was it but apperently Hp has it sorted now so no-worries. Its a shame microsoft scrapped the courier cause that would have been bloody fantastic but looked like there were just to many varibles to go wrong to meet there expectations of what they were trying to create.

As most progammer know we create software in duel compatability so it runs on PC and Mac and this is one of my major gripes with the I-pad that it will only run Mac software unlike the W7 Slate that is duel compatability.

Macs future lays with there past, amazing grafics which everyone looks up to, making things look very pretty, always being the first to realease new items then being left behind as other companys realease new and better versions of there products and this is why mac has only 10% of the market.

There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary code, thoughs who can and thoughs who cant !!!!!!

Guest janmoo

I ve got one and love it sooo much. Here in uk still but it it so fast and handy hubby uses laptop but this is amazingly quick and the quality of the graphics is incredible. Depends what you want it for. I use mine for internet browsing mostly and because i am half blind lol i dont need my specs coz the screen is so big. I plan to buy the sat nav app for when i get to oz. So if you see someone driving round the same roundabout 10 times then its me and ive got it wrong ha ha! Love it love it!