Any advice re car buying

Cannons

Guest The Dimmocks

Cant help on car front as we got ours from up North, but just wanted to say Welcome to Adelaide.

Sure someone will point you in right direction

Been here 7 weeks and have bought one car and am about to buy a second. Its not an enjoyable experience. Sales guys must have been trained in America as most of the main dealers give a real hard sell. Be prepared to hold out for a better price and stand your ground or walk away - theres always the same deal around the corner on a similar car. Differential between new and nearly new (called demo here) in not that great. Car values don't fall through the floor once they leave the new car showroom as they do in the UK. $ 50 grand new is still worth $ 47000 after a year. Get a price OTR / drive away as the car tax is approx 4% on the purchase price. Road tax (called rego here) is also quite expensive and can be bought per month, 3, 6, 9 or 12 month blocks. Drive away costs include all these extras. Look at Discount Used Cars - search used cars for sale, values and car prices. Car guide for buyers to save on vehicles in Australia. - Discount Used Cars for some idea of car costs.

Guest janmoo

Hi guys just to let you all know we arrive end september and have today secured a least on a stunning apartment in glenelg! Sooo excited now. Anyone else in glenelg? Must dash will post later gone to see big brother on tv xxxxx lol

Guest cornish Busdriver
Hi, we landed yesterday and so far its been non stop we will do a update in a few days but for now has anybody got any recomendations on where to buy or not buy a car in the Port Norlunga area,

thanks in advance Del..

Gday Del.

Depends if you wand brand new or a good second hand car.

If your after second hand, take a look at Beach road car sales, bottom of beach road Christies beach and tell them Matt with the Belina said to come down.

Great bunch of guys, sell a lot of cars to poms as they dont give ya the hard sell very honest and friendly.

I got mine and the missus car from there and never had any problems what so ever.

Bit of a heads up on second hand car warrenty; A car with less than 200K on the clock requires a service every 10,000K or 6 months. Cars over 200K requires a service every 5000K or 3months.

If you buy a car with over 200k on the clock ask for the warrenty to be waved as its pointless plus it will save ya about 300 buck off the price.

Dont for get about goverment tax on top of the price of the the car when you buy one as well.

Dont think that big motors are expensive to run, my car is a 3.8 VX Holden Belina and missus is a 4.0 ford fairmont and both are very fuel efficiant if you dont cane the ass out of them.

I put about 60 bucks a week in and misus about 50 to and fro work plus other running round, servicing $90 each car.

Guest Tina P

Hi,

I would try Main North Road, loads of car sales places, you could park up and walk between them

We bought a 2nd hand car from Nissan on Main North Rd and got a better deal than Nissan on South Road on the same car, milege etc.

I also looked on Carsales.com.au, picked out 5/6 we wanted to look at, went with a price we wanted to pay (stuck to it) and got a great deal.

Good luck

Tina

Guest tinkham_lee

My partners sister is selling her Mazda 626 at the moment, just serviced, new tyres and battery, drives really well, Pm me if you want any more details

just a little bit of advice, we found that we just bought a little kia, thought it was ok for $8000 but then a few months later realised that a "big" car is the way to go here, what with all the hills and packing all the stuff in to goto to beach!!! id say spend as much as you can afford and get a nice big car, we got a falcon wagon, i nearly fainted when they said it was a 4ltr!!! but still quite cheap to run!! also they stung us when we traded the kia in, nost places offered us about $3000 for it!!!

steve

Guest lize smit

Hi how much are you looking on spending? We have a 2009 Nissan Micra (city collection) still standing in Adelaide that we desperately need to sell as we have moved back to South Africa on 3 July 2010. The car is in excellent condition and has 8000km on the clock . It is maroon in colour. If you are interested e mail me on danie.lize.smit@gmail.com

Guest MrsHills

When we first got here and wanted a car, we just popped in the local cop shop and spoke to some old boy on the front deak. They gave us the names of those to avoid like the plague and some that were good. Followed their advice and got great service (the one we went to was on Port Rd nr Port Adelaide) They gave us several cars to test drive and let us keep them over the weekend! We were quite skint and they did us proud! So maybe worth your while to speak to the police, but I would go in rather than phone.

Guest Furious_D

I bought a car in Noorlunga from Kerry Garner used cars. It was advertised as a 1.8 online, but turned out to be a 1.5 after I'd bought it. I phoned her up about it and her answer was "the website autocompletes the car stats for you. There's a clause at the bottom that says you should check with the dealer". Not even a hint of an apology.

It's quite a nice car, but I wouldn't buy from her again. Extremely dodgy!

Guest Nikkic

We are selling a Holden Appollo its a 1991 model but don't be too put off at the age as cars here last a lot longer. It's just had a full service and runs really well. We are only looking for around $1,500.

PM me if your interested.