Debutantes Ball

Diane

I know this all sounds a bit Barbara Cartland but.... my daughter has been invited to go to a Debutantes Ball (some of her friends are going to be "debutantes") - and I need to find her something to wear. The only ball I've ever been to was the Forex Ball in London many moons ago, and for that I hired a dress to wear. Does anyone know of any places here that do dress-hire for women/girls?

Don't want to spend a fortune (and my first places to look are going to be the Op Shops!), but has anyone been to a Ball here (or have offspring that have been) and know (a) what sort of thing the females wear? and (b) where I could hire something, or buy something relatively cheap (bearing in mind at 15 she is still growing so would probably not get any future wear out of it)?

Off to check on ebay now, but if anyone knows anything, all advice gratefully received!!

Guest Guest75

We went through this for formals.

A) Have a friend that can sew.

B) Have a look around - I think Harbour Town has a couple of ladies/girls wear shops with Formal sections in.There are quite a few formal dresses in the ladies wear shops when you look - just a bit tucked away.

C) Have friend who can sew with you - they can help advise and work wonders with alterations - it may be a few bits added to update and so on.

D) Not always does high fashion play a part with these events - I've seen some real "malfunctions" , it is what your daughter will be comfortable with;)

Deb balls usually mean the girls wear a white long dress, unlike school formals where they can wear a wide range of dresses. Myer in town has quite a range at reasonable prices. Miss Gladys Sym Choon in Rundle St also has a variety of colours and styles upstairs. Or you could find a pattern in Spotlight and get someone to make it up.

Okay, it doesn't stop at the dress :biglaugh: shoes, bag, jewellry, hair, makeup and traditionally for Deb Balls....white gloves. Find out who is organising it and give them a ring to see what most girls wear :)

Another thing you can do is look in op shops, my daughter found an old wedding dress that she had remodelled. Dress cost $30 and shortening $30 :)

Guest Guest75
Deb balls usually mean the girls wear a white long dress, unlike school formals where they can wear a wide range of dresses.

Another thing you can do is look in op shops, my daughter found an old wedding dress that she had remodelled. Dress cost $30 and shortening $30 :)

I didn't realise that!!!!

Good job you didn't rush out to the shops on my Advice Diane!!!:idea:

Guest guest3462

I think that is just for the debutantes though isn't it Rach? I think guests are expected to wear formal gowns, but have the flexibility of colour and length. I would imagine that if it is a traditional high school deb ball then most of the girls (guests not debs) would opt for a knee length cocktail dress.

Thanks all. Looking at the picture, yes the actual Debs wear white (very bridal!) - the boys (poor things) seem to be in kind of military outfits! Goodness!!

DD will just be a guest, so not quite as limited I guess. I've asked her to ask around the other guests going, to get an idea of what's expected/accepted. Just been for a bit of a browse in our local op shops and there're quite a few different things around, so hopefully will be able to find something!

Or be really cruel and buy her a new dress and make her wear it in yr 11 n 12 to her formals and any other she may be invited to. Haha You could also be creative n dip it in a new batch of die for each outing to fool the photographers. Sorry had my daughter's palava to shop for earlier this year with people buying the same dresses, hunting high n low for another, then shoes etc....and then she got invited to St Iggies formal ...........

Are these formals a uniquely Australian thing? I never had any teenagers in the UK, but don't remember hearing about them nearly as much! DD's school is even making all the year 10s do ballroom dancing classes this term in preparation for theirs (goes down brilliantly with the boys, as you can imagine!!) and I can remember being quite taken aback when even the primary school here had a "graduation" at the end of Year 7! Mind you, again, in the school they were at in the UK there were only about 10 pupils in each year so a graduation would have been a pretty quiet affair...

Most of the private schools have Formals for yr 11 and 12. The state schools tend to just have a yr 12 one. The yr 7s have usually had a disco or something traditionally, but this has been pushed out to a graduation night. The main thing is to set a budget and stick with it.......some girls fly to Melbourne for the day to shop for their dress and some parents are willing to fork out $1000 or more for the dress. Lucky boys just have to hire a suit and look clean on the night! AND then there is the outfit for the afterparty :)

But don't worry, bit of shopping around and you can spend a quarter of this.

.......some girls fly to Melbourne for the day to shop for their dress and some parents are willing to fork out $1000 or more for the dress. .
your havin a giraffe!!!!!!!!:)

Guest theshearers

Well it seems to have gone just as mental over here in the UK with Graduation Balls and that kind of thing. Every summer you see stretch limos turning up at hotels all over the place full of teenagers fancy frocks and suits. When my cousin finshed her GCSES 2yrs ago they had a graduation ball type of thing in a hotel and between the dress, hair, make up, shoes, jewwllery and the cost of the meal and drinks I think my auntie spent about £750!!!!!!!!!! A ridiculous amount of money!

My son also just finished nursery to start Primary School in September and they also had a Graduation Ceremony - caps, gowns, scrolls, the lot!!!!!!!

Where will the madness end!!!

Vicki x

My son also just finished nursery to start Primary School in September and they also had a Graduation Ceremony - caps, gowns, scrolls, the lot!!!!!!!

Where will the madness end!!!

Oh my goodness, that's absolutely astounding! You've got to smile, really.....!!!!

Guest Messua
I know this all sounds a bit Barbara Cartland but.... my daughter has been invited to go to a Debutantes Ball (some of her friends are going to be "debutantes") - and I need to find her something to wear. The only ball I've ever been to was the Forex Ball in London many moons ago, and for that I hired a dress to wear. Does anyone know of any places here that do dress-hire for women/girls?

Don't want to spend a fortune (and my first places to look are going to be the Op Shops!), but has anyone been to a Ball here (or have offspring that have been) and know (a) what sort of thing the females wear? and (b) where I could hire something, or buy something relatively cheap (bearing in mind at 15 she is still growing so would probably not get any future wear out of it)?

Off to check on ebay now, but if anyone knows anything, all advice gratefully received!!

Hi Diane,

I think you'll find something suitable for your daughter at Noni B's in TTP, or if you have a bit of time look on line at www.allegrofashion.com.au

Good luck.