wilpena

tina&steve

Wilpena is a beautiful spot - it used to be one of our annual visits at Easter and October. October is a good month to go because it is when all the wildflowers come out. It is a remote area but on long weekends etc it is quite busy actually, especially Easter. We've both camped, caravanned and stayed in various places. If you are looking for accommodation Rawnsley Park is a tad more affordable but if you want to stay in the Pound and it is only for a few days it is quite a nice place to stay. There are a lot of walks around thearea. Rawnsley Park has cabins which are basic but have everything you need except I think you bring your own bedding. It's about 25kms away from Wilpena Pound. If you like camping then Brachina Gorge is fabulous - they have some nice marked out spots and it is pretty quiet. One year in spring there were emus with their little chicks following them around and at dusk and early morning you can see numerous kangaroos and emus and we've seen a few eagles (Wedge Tailed) also.. I am not sure if they hire 4wds around there - I know they have 4WD tours that you can book but we've also seen some conventional cars driving around. The road to Wilpena Pound etc is all sealed so you don't need to worry there - but some of the scenic spots are not sealed but as I said I've seen conventional vehicles drive to those spots. You can ring Wilpena Pound and theY can give you a more accurate idea.

I haven't been up there for years but Wilpena is in a really beautiful spot, quite awesome. In some ways it is the real Australia that most of us don't get to see that much as we are too busy living our lives in the city. There are loads of places to explore where you won't need a 4wd. It's a long drive but once you are there you will really feel like you've 'got away from it all'. I hope you enjoy it.

Guest guest3462

We went to wilpena last October and it was fantastic!!! We stayed in a cabin at rawnsley park and spent our days at wilpena. The scenery is spectacular and well worth the 8 hour drive. Iwould defo recommend it for a long weekend. The only thing I found was that there were millions of flies that made eating outdoors practically impossible!!! If you plan to go walking I would recommend one of those hats with a net to save your sanity