Fish&chips - the difference

Guest mark&rachel

Guest mark&rachel

Can anyone help with on the fish and chip front?

Going to venture to the chippy for 1st time tonight but menu is so different.

So used to Cod and Chips and now ive got to change - arghhhhhhh

Is there any similarites with the likes of Whiting, Barra,Garfish, Flake etc etc

Opinions would be much appreciated on a very important matter for uss tonight

:unsure:

We have found that Crumbed Flake is very good and our preferred choice after trying most types. Butterfish is usually the cheapest, but the fillets are rather small.

Fish and Chips are normally cooked to order here, so you may have to wait a few minutes for it to cook.

Good Eating

Guest Trakki

Snapper and Flake (aka Gummy Shark) are the closest you will get to cod. Butterfish is too fishy if you know what I mean. The chip shop in Noarlunga do the best chips, like UK ones.

Guest Guest75

Not quite on topic but Mrs Tyke made the best fish and chips here yet!

She used some King George Whiting I'd caught.

She has made several batters but this time added a little vinegar ( yours truly suggested it).

Gorgeous batter!!!:notworthy::notworthy:

Guest Jo&Phil

We like whiting but butterfish is ok too

Portion sizes of chips are HUGE here!

Have yet to see mushy peas ....... not that I'm complaining as not my favourite dish or 'quacomole' as Peter Mandleson once famously and allegedly thought it was

Guest lastboyscout

Bit far to travel up this way but we have found a chip shop that actually does proper chips (not the frozen fries you tend to get here) proper potatoes peeled out the back and put through a chipping machine, its the Chicken Chef on North east Road, (North direction) near Holden Hill police station:notworthy:

And our local chicken shop at Fairview Park does fresh cod, just like back in the UK :notworthy:

Just need to find some pickled eggs and some decent pickled onions (and a little pot of cockles) and I`ll be made up ;)

Guest lastboyscout
We like whiting but butterfish is ok too

Portion sizes of chips are HUGE here!

Have yet to see mushy peas ....... not that I'm complaining as not my favourite dish or 'quacomole' as Peter Mandleson once famously and allegedly thought it was

Make your own mushy peas, much nicer, just need to find some blue boilers;)

How do you make mushy peas from scratch? [Archive] - Sheffield Forum

Guest mark&rachel

well we tried the flake and whiting. Not too bad at all. Not Mr Chips in Coulsdon Surrey(voted best chippy so hard to beat) but it wasnt bad at all.

The portion of chips were huge too.

Now to find a decent South Indian Curry. Any South Indians out the Poms are calling you to open a restaurant!!!!

Guest hel&sam

good chippies - browns in old reynella and the one in aldinga at the little roundabout. i've only tried butterfish so far, need to branch out, but butterfish is nice, even my cod hating 12 year old likes it.

We need to find a british/indian chef who can make a fab tikka masala

• 4 weeks later...
Bit far to travel up this way but we have found a chip shop that actually does proper chips (not the frozen fries you tend to get here) proper potatoes peeled out the back and put through a chipping machine, its the Chicken Chef on North east Road, (North direction) near Holden Hill police station:notworthy:

And our local chicken shop at Fairview Park does fresh cod, just like back in the UK :notworthy:

Just need to find some pickled eggs and some decent pickled onions (and a little pot of cockles) and I`ll be made up ;)

Tep Chicken chef definately the best I have had yet,,,,,,,,,on another note just made a batch of scotch eggs with a recipe from the hairy bikers,,,absolutely fantastic!

Guest WhatNow?

I went to Chicken Chef last night as I had a hankering for real chips - the only downside was that half the portion was gone before I got home! Must put em out of reach next time!

Guest Andrew&Ren
well we tried the flake and whiting. Not too bad at all. Not Mr Chips in Coulsdon Surrey(voted best chippy so hard to beat) but it wasnt bad at all.

The portion of chips were huge too.

Now to find a decent South Indian Curry. Any South Indians out the Poms are calling you to open a restaurant!!!!

Best curry places we have found are The Jasmin in the city and Monsoon in North Adelaide.

We finally found proper chips at The feathers Chip Shop on Greenhill rd!:notworthy: