Hallet Cove shopping centre

Guest soggy

Hi all,

hope all is well down in Adelaide,

i'm after a little information on Hallet Cove shopping centre, is it busy is all we want to know at the moment, we maybe starting a business there and am after the oppinion of people who actually use it.

As I am after your help I have resisted the temptation to post a reply on the recent weather thread, you don't want me to go on about how every day here reaches 20 - 22 and is normally sunny, i'm sure you don't want to know we have had a few days reach 26 and one even made it to 27 and that its only rained here about 3 times since we got here.:):)

Simon in the sun

Hi there.

I go to the shopping centre almost everyday and there are always people milling about. Although not as busy as Colonades at Noarlunga or Westfield at Marion it does have a fair few people visiting - alot of school kids go after school too, and as the weather is going to get warmer, more people visit shopping malls if only to keep cool lol...

What business are you planning on?

Helen

Its not busy & can always park there.

There are too many 'beauty ' shops there, It definately needs more shops opening as I think it would attract more people.

I think the people milling around there have probably only gone there to do food shopping ( which is mainly the reason I go there). If I wanted to buy clothes etc, I would head for Marion. Really depends on what kind of shop you are thinking of.

I really like it because its NOT busy, but I dont suppose that helps from a business point of view.

I shop at HC shopping centre a couple of times per week and would say that it's fairly quiet compared to Westfield, Marion and Colonnades at Noarlunga. As others have said, it is likely this is the case because there's very little choice if you're wanting to shop for stuff other than groceries. I agree that there are too many health and beauty type businesses. I would love to see a shop that's a break from the norm - ie an independently owned store that's offering something a bit more European perhaps, really decent clothes shop wouldn't go amiss.

It would be interesting to know what type of business your considering Soggy...

again, agree with everyone else, it is never what I would call busy. I like it that way, as I can easily do my shopping.

Knowing how much the rents are - I really do wonder how some of the businesses are surviving. Food shops do well and the rest will follow I reckon - in time, maybe another year or 18 months and it might be a lot busier.

Have you contacted the rental agents - I found them very helpful (a pleasant change :biglaugh:) and I daresay they may be open to a bit of negotiation as they still have a few empty units. One thing I would say, which you are probably already aware of in shopping centres like this, beware of shopfit requirements and costs.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

yep depends what you want to set up, busy enough but not too busy! There are more than enough coffee shops/ cafe, jewelery shops and hairdresser/beauty places. The 2 clothes shops are aimed at the "older" lady IMO. Surf shop shut down so far, a food place in the food court and a coffee place.

I like HC Shopping Centre because it's not busy. Unfortunately, it's going to do worse trade when the Desal is up and running because most of the staff go there for their lunch break! If I was a smart business owner especially the food court, I would be thinking of selling now.

Guest needtogonow

Not sure if you have checked out rental prices in Hallett Cove shopping centre, if you haven't you may be in for a shock, as we were when researching retail premises.

Understandably retail units in shopping centres are at a premium but these prices were crazy, meaning only the bigger chain operators would be able to survive in these places. It`s a shame as it is unlikely we will see any decent niche shops opening there, many of them seem so sterile.

We have now found a great premises in a less busy but very lovely place.

Good luck with your searching.

Bex

Yep agree it is not a busy shopping centre

Had a lovely chat with one of the owners there and she said it's disappointing that there is nothing for people to come and do there i.e. activities like a cinema or something.

People only go there to go food shopping and because of it's location people just drive right past it.

Good luck with your venture

Hi,

thankyou all for your replys. We are not moving back to Adelaide, not yet, and it is a Chinese massage shop, we are thinking of opening, we are back in Adelaide at the moment and have been looking around and despite it being on the quite side Hallet Cove is sitll a likely place. If I was looking at a coffee/food shop where I needed 100+ customers a day I would be looking somewhere else, but with a massage shop you can break even on 4 or 5 customers a day so numbers of people in the shopping centre is less important than the type of people in the centre.

The reason we are looking in Adelaide is our daugter who is still here at uni has decided to marry, and her husband to be has experience of running a Chinese massage in Norwood, so we are helping them get set up.

Thanks again for your help,

Simon:D:D

Not sure if you have checked out rental prices in Hallett Cove shopping centre, if you haven't you may be in for a shock, as we were when researching retail premises.

Understandably retail units in shopping centres are at a premium but these prices were crazy, meaning only the bigger chain operators would be able to survive in these places. It`s a shame as it is unlikely we will see any decent niche shops opening there, many of them seem so sterile.

We have now found a great premises in a less busy but very lovely place.

Good luck with your searching.

Bex

Hi,

thanks for your reply, we have had a couple of shops in shopping centers before so know the kind of cost it involves, it really does depend on the busness your involved in if it is worth it or not, as well as the high rents the cost of fit out, getting plans approved by the landlord all adds up.

Where abouts is your book shop going to be, what kind of books ? all types , the cafe part is a good idea, I have not noticed it in Adelaide but as I have looked around in the Gold Coast a lot of hair salons have a small cafe attached and they seem to do well. If you can fit 2 businesses in one shop why not ! good luck.:D:D

Simon

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Ledges

I live in H/C and love the shpooing centre/parking /facilities etc etc BUT....I know the leases are very high and its really important which part of the centre you are in..people just don't mill around part of it at all...if you got a lot at the wrong end then it prob wouldn't do so well....and I agree there are too many beauty/hair/pedicure type offerings. Be ware of the end near the Westpac and Dick Smiths....once you get past BigW and the telstra stand you don't go down ther unless you want food or Dick Smith's really...so passing trade or publicity would be minimal. Good luck though...hope you do find the right location to make it a success.

• 2 months later...
I live in H/C and love the shpooing centre/parking /facilities etc etc BUT....I know the leases are very high and its really important which part of the centre you are in..people just don't mill around part of it at all...if you got a lot at the wrong end then it prob wouldn't do so well....and I agree there are too many beauty/hair/pedicure type offerings. Be ware of the end near the Westpac and Dick Smiths....once you get past BigW and the telstra stand you don't go down ther unless you want food or Dick Smith's really...so passing trade or publicity would be minimal. Good luck though...hope you do find the right location to make it a success.

Hi,

thanks for your reply, we have already decided to go with Hallett Cove shopping centre, with a massage business it is not really passing trade you are looking for (all trade is good though:)) you do have to let people know you are there and then it is just a matter of giving a very good massage at the right price, once you have had a good massage a lot of people will come on a regular basis or at least an occasional treat. A GIFT VOUCHER MAKES A GREAT CHRISTMAS GIFT!!!!

On that note Yes Massage is opening later this week on Friday , although my wife and I are involved, to help out with the lease and stuff, it will be run by our newly aquired son in law who is rather good at massage, his name Zidi our daugter Zhen should be around a bit too.

If you like or think you would like a good massage give them a try.:D

I walked past your shop today and noticed your beds etc, ready to be set up.

I wish you the best of luck and look forward to a nice massage in the coming weeks.

Judi x