One of the great mysteries of life...

Diane

How comes shampoo and conditioner - which are basically just soap really at the end of the day, aren't they? - claim to be able to do so many amazing and varied things?

Did my annual stock-up on Friday, and boy, the choice!! Some claim to increase curl, some to make your hair straight and smooth, some for short hair, some for long hair, some for layered hair, some to make it shinier, glossier, easier to style, some to end world hunger and engender world peace...

And what if I used a shampoo that increases curl and "bounce" then a conditioner that promotes straightness? What would I end up with? Do they cancel each other out, or does the last used take preference??

All I want is a shampoo that cleans (d'oh - soap!) and a conditioner that stops the hair coming out on the brush! Oh, and cheap, don't forget cheap! But not so cheap that you have to use half a bottle just to get a decent lather! Although I admit most of the stuff I buy (because I can't bring myself to pay more than $5 for a bottle!) is from the discount shops and has labels written in Chinese! Those that have seen my hair will not be surprised to read this.....!!!

On a side note, I once read that the best ever marketing ploy discovered was the one on bottle of shampoo that says "rinse and repeat" - thus doubling people's use of the product!

That's my thought for the day anyway!

I'll get my coat (and hat, to cover up the hair)....

Guest The Dimmocks

I had the same thought whilst getting some shampoo yesterday LOL. I got some $2 stuff from Sam's warehouse for everyday use. My hair is straight and doesnt do anything and no matter what I use it still the same. I have struggled to find a shampoo, since moving to Adelaide, that dont make my head itch though (even the expensive ones), thinking it may be the swimming pool water from my once a week aqua class. I loved my Asda's own Shampoo.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest MrsHills

Having just read this (looking for shampoo) I see from The Dimmocks that they have the same problem, all the shampoos I try make my head itch. I dont have dandruff or anything (as far as I am aware) but cant use head and shoulders or the like as it takes the dye out of my hair. Any hairdressers out there can advise??? - (I am seriously thinking of changing my site name so people dont keep getting me confused with a bloke!!)

Guest The Dimmocks

I have brought some Redwin Sensitive Skin tea tree shampoo. It only a 250ml bottle though, was under $5 at Coles. The bottle says "hair revitaliser for healthly looking hair. Softens, repairs and protects hair. Removes build-up left by other shampoos". This is the 2nd bottle I have used and seems to help a little.

I took my daughter to Kindy a few weeks back and the notice on the board saying outbreak of headlice didnt help my itchy head. When I got home had to have a check of it. Happy to say no headlice. If anyone finds any cheaper and bigger bottles of stuff that helps please let us know. x

If it is the water then looks like dreadlocks all round ladies LOL :D