Flying back to the UK through America - LA

Guest Phil206

I'd say so. Any layover or connecting flight from the US is going to mean immigration controls. Its a nightmare setup they have there.

Personally I'd always avoid flying anywhere that involves a stopover or change in the US. I'd always go via Asia. Also think its easier time difference wise on the body and the flight times can be more easily worked for night time travelling etc.

It's not very bad. We fly through LAX all the time, and hubs has gone through immigration control there...and been welcomed into the country in a friendly manner. It is a big airport, much like Heathrow, and you do need to clear customs, but it's nothing to skip due to those things.

LAX is one of the worst airports I've had the displeasure of flying through. Immigration officials yelling at you for not having a contact address in the U.S., even though you're going into a big glass box to sit for an hour before getting back onto the same plane, with no access to the rest of the airport. Or if changing planes, actually having to collect your bags, go through customs, re-check the bags (because apparently having access to your checked luggage improves security), go through immigration control as if you're actually staying in the country, getting yelled at (again) for not having a contact adress, even though your flight is in two hours. Very badly designed system, allow LOTS of time to get through this if you're changing planes.

Used to be there was some advantage to flying via the U.S. as you got extra luggage allowance compared to via asia, but I think I saw somewhere that this is no longer the case...

I wonder if they now make people pay for that new(ish) electronic tourist visa thingy even if they're just in transit, wouldn't surprise me...