Reasons for returning to the Uk

sduffy

I have a couple of friends thinking of settling in Adelaide,but i have noted from the For Sale section in recent months that there are an ever increasing number of people returning to the uk.Certainly i would say more than i have noted before.

Just wandered what the reasons were.

Any comments from returnees would be helpful.

Thanks Sue

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lastboyscout

Everyone wants to go back and watch the mighty Aston Villa play under our new manager ;)

Either that or they want some scratchings :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Can`t see any other reason :nah:

Guest RichandHelen

Everyone wants to go back and watch the mighty Aston Villa play under our new manager ;)

Villa might never get a manager as good as o`Neill again. Randy showed his true colours by selling milner. Villa and Blues havent been this close in stature for a long time...

Bluenose til I die

Yep - Winter ( worst one I've known in 10 years here) and the exchange rate do give some people who are struggling with settling here cause for consideration.

Last year a policeman and his family returned to the UK and made a 40,000 UK pound profit!. Missing family was the main reason for their return.

After about two years here ( a very general figure) people know if they can make it here.

It's worth giving it a decent time here.

Returning might give some "relief" in the short term but consider why you left in the first place:cute:

Guest lastboyscout

Villa might never get a manager as good as o`Neill again. Randy showed his true colours by selling milner. Villa and Blues havent been this close in stature for a long time...

Bluenose til I die

I looked at your sig and saw Eddy and thought you were a sensible guy ;)

How wrong can someone be after reading what you put ???:biglaugh:

30jnszn.jpg[/img]

Yep - Winter ( worst one I've known in 10 years here) and the exchange rate do give some people who are struggling with settling here cause for consideration.

Last year a policeman and his family returned to the UK and made a 40,000 UK pound profit!. Missing family was the main reason for their return.

After about two years here ( a very general figure) people know if they can make it here.

It's worth giving it a decent time here.

Returning might give some "relief" in the short term but consider why you left in the first place:cute:

Tyke is alwasy so nice and sensible !!

Yes two years is a good bench mark. I really fuind it hard to understand people who leave jobs schools and homes in the UK to only stay a few months and go back. You have to give it a proper try. Its like a new marraige you cant run at the first sign of hardship you have to give it a proper go !!

Yes the winter is a bit miserable at times but we do always have a very nice summer to look forward to dont we ?

It is also reassuring Tyke that this has been a bad one, as weve been here 2 years and not really got much to match it too ! although it has been a bad year all round for Vic and NSW too.

I really do woner though how many of us actually come to SA to move interstate when we get PR ? I would like to know that. However the stress and cost of doing that must be nealy as much as moving from UK to here.

No where is Utopia but on the whole I much prefer my life style here. So here I will stay but I would never say never.

IF for example it was ever one dollar = one pound then I may consider a nice home by the sea on the south coast of England. That is if the muslims havnt taken over the whole place by then !

Cheers eveyone and heres to spring !! :wubclub:

Guest guest3462

We've been here almost 2 years and we are off Home on our first holiday back to the uk in November. To say that our first two years here have been easy would be a complete lie. We have never endured so much stress and grief and cost in our 11 years together as a family as we have had and continue to have while living in australia, we do however feel at home and know we are settled in for good (visa permitting-still!!!!)

having said that, on Wednesday following yet another kick in the teeth, we asked each other if we had known 3 years ago what we knew now would we have bothered and our answer was unanimously no we would have stayed in the uk. So for those guys who do make the decision to go back to the uk I empathise with the stressful reasoning behind it and can completely understand why. We have committed ourselves to at least the next 5 years in australia for the sake of our children but we would never say never to going back to the uk.

Guest RichandHelen

Hey I am sensible ;)Eddy Rocks. ! Anyway Ive been to Villa park more often than St Andrews in recent years.:embarrassed:

As for why people return> I reckon missing family beats all the others put together. Sometimes it is really really hard.

Rich

Please elaborate, as I am intrigued.

I post my views

I have a laugh

I don't UNLIKE SOME OTHERS, post false info and completely wrong advice and get involved in subjects I know nothing about.

What is your problem with any of the above?. If you cant work out the humour, then I am sorry, but there isn't much I can do about that.

What I don't do (and I am not implying in any way you are) is (cyber) abuse or attack people, I at times say home truths which people are uncomfortable with, and they get defensive and take offence,sadly.

Guest Guest5035
(possible) Reasons you can't settle

You haven't visited before or researched properly

You live in Hallet Cove

You live in Seaford

You don't live in the North (East)

You left England to get away from something rather than actually coming here for a 'real' reason. Running away is never the answer.

Parents getting old and sick

I don't buy the winter is a reason, still light at 5pm in mid winter and a cold day 14 degrees.......hardly comparable to UK winter!

PMSL.;)

Stevo

Guest Tterrier81

What I don't do (and I am not implying in any way you are) is (cyber) abuse or attack people, I at times say home truths which people are uncomfortable with, and they get defensive and take offence,sadly.

really??

posted by adelaidenow and flagged for personal abuse-i stand by what I say though, trying to turn Adelaide into Little England for a day is wrong. Celebrating St Georges day is fine, ramming it down the locals throats is another.

As I also said, for some reason St Georges Day was traditionally celebrated by the far right. I have never been to patriotic for any country, hence not celebrating it.

Last edited by Diane; Yesterday at 01:54 AM. Reason: Tut tut - no personal abuse allowed - you know that!!!

Guest Tterrier81
I did not attack anyone, Diane was trying to keep the peace. If you read my posts further on you will see what I was saying, the thread doesn't make sense anymore. Too much was taken out.

And how were the 2 lines you put attacking anyone?

so you are saying you didnt personally abuse someone, but your post get edited for personal abuse????

Guest kfoley0681

i can say of my personal experience and opinion we have been here over 2 years now and our children have grown in heaps and bounds ive have totally settled made lots of friends all over australia and love it! we travelled and saw lots of the country and fell totally in love with northen queensland and cant wait until we move up there although the kids school here is great and some of the people have become great friends and found some lovely places to visit dont get me wrong we have had a tough 2 years apart from thenormal emotional rollocoaster my husband nearly lost his life in a car accident goota love the young aussie drivers lol and he is still not better 9 months on and i think this has contributed to my husband feeling unsettled. he finds the red tape for him working (hes a plumber) had his own business and a skilled independant visa, very annoying and hard and also his social life from the uk pub with mates is sadly missed!!! but we left uk with a 5 year plan i beleve you cant spend so much time and money unlessyou really wanted to leave uk so must be hard to want to go back in a short space of time as you will surly be caught up in emotional turmoil as to be expected. from pommys that i have met here and gone back or going back they say reasons are missing family and friends, they cant believe the drug problems are so bad here(satistics show there are more people injecting themselves here they tell me) and there for no better than uk, also they feel sa is no betta than uk for how rascist they are, crime etc, and they did say they know its back in uk to but they have the bonus of friends and family there!! oh well for me australia is home and cant wait for queensland thats my australia dream and do really think if you are feeling unsettled in sa and you have the oppertunity do try travelling about here to experience other states and towns and see if you can find your dream else where!!!!!!!!!:jiggy:

Guest Guest5035

now now boys and girls, Mr Tyke and Miss Di and Mr Cyprus will start handing out uno points for you and you don't want that do you, cause its a pain in the butt signing in with a different name and password.

stevo

now now boys and girls, Mr Tyke and Miss Di and Mr Cyprus will start handing out uno points for you and you don't want that do you, cause its a pain in the butt signing in with a different name and password.

stevo

Usernames are OK, but it's the different IP addresses that is a pain :biglaugh:

The post about crime, is it really higher here than the UK? I am surprised. I think the SA is South Africa.

Waking up to the news that the police overnight had a small chase and caught the driver is not as bad as murder/rape etc that happens in UK regularly. And of course I know the population is greater in UK, hence more crime.

i can say of my personal experience and opinion we have been here over 2 years now and our children have grown in heaps and bounds ive have totally settled made lots of friends all over australia and love it! we travelled and saw lots of the country and fell totally in love with northen queensland and cant wait until we move up there although the kids school here is great and some of the people have become great friends and found some lovely places to visit dont get me wrong we have had a tough 2 years apart from thenormal emotional rollocoaster my husband nearly lost his life in a car accident goota love the young aussie drivers lol and he is still not better 9 months on and i think this has contributed to my husband feeling unsettled. he finds the red tape for him working (hes a plumber) had his own business and a skilled independant visa, very annoying and hard and also his social life from the uk pub with mates is sadly missed!!! but we left uk with a 5 year plan i beleve you cant spend so much time and money unlessyou really wanted to leave uk so must be hard to want to go back in a short space of time as you will surly be caught up in emotional turmoil as to be expected. from pommys that i have met here and gone back or going back they say reasons are missing family and friends, they cant believe the drug problems are so bad here(satistics show there are more people injecting themselves here they tell me) and there for no better than uk, also they feel sa is no betta than uk for how rascist they are, crime etc, and they did say they know its back in uk to but they have the bonus of friends and family there!! oh well for me australia is home and cant wait for queensland thats my australia dream and do really think if you are feeling unsettled in sa and you have the oppertunity do try travelling about here to experience other states and towns and see if you can find your dream else where!!!!!!!!!:jiggy:

Great post People do not realise there is problems here untill it affects them.