reasons why you are on PIA

Guest me123

i am posting this on the "BARBIE" section so this will be just general banter,kick your shoes off and relax....

just a question Why are you on PIA?....my reasons are that i currently dont work so i have far too much time to spare and choose to spend it on the internet.....my OH first discovered this site back in the uk and we joined in the hope of some advice about migration and to get an idea of peoples opinions of living/working in Adelaide...but he soon tired of the site but i became addicted...even though lots of stuff on here ticks me off..and yes i have in turn ticked some people off..but i fail everytime i say i'm not going back...and yep here i am again

1) Semi retired so have the time.

2) I like to keep up to date with UK matters - you can learn a lot from this forum.

3) The banter.

4) Friends ( yes I actually have some) :biglaugh:

5) Altruism..:cute: I honestly don't mind giving back and sharing our experiences, I wish more of the more settled here would do it. There will be some sad sac who will no doubt bring up that we have rentals and want to advertise them :wacko: Don't care,don't care,don't care - yep I get a little back

6) A strong belief in making this forum work and keep it's purpose!!! An enormous amount of people have said to me "I don't know what I would have done without this forum!" Reward indeed for point 5 :D

To offer advice, point out others bad advice, to brighten the place up, and I was invited by 3 people - I did resist at first.

you certainly do that..i enjoy your replies to threads...think you maybe gathering a fanclub

Guest guest3462

hmmmmm......... Not all the time. Some of your posts are indeed funny and informative, but others are downright rude. In fact I myself have felt intimidated by some of your replies even if in your head you thought you were being helpful/informative.

I joined this forum to get valuable advice and opinion about the massive move and committment to move to Australia, and in return I hope that I give a little bit back to other forum members needing advice. I also really enjoy reading everyones (well most) posts and relating to their own experiences.

I too have said loads of times that I have had enough of this forum as at times some members have reduced me to tears for various reasons in my own house without ever even meeting them. But, every single day I feel drawn back in and have to have a look and a comment!!

I think I'll always be a member on here, it is part of my life now!

The problem with a fan club is you get the opposite too...

I realise PMs are Private, but I got this yesterday

Your comments are legendary Mr Adelaide Now....I only go on here now to read your comments! Keep it up. I

user_offline.gifforward.gif

I'll have to also send pm's like this to myself!!! :biglaugh:

Now behave...I have actually got to go and do something called "work" for a few hours.

Lollies to the best restrained when I return.:policeman:

hmmmmm......... Not all the time. Some of your posts are indeed funny and informative, but others are downright rude. In fact I myself have felt intimidated by some of your replies even if in your head you thought you were being helpful/informative.

I joined this forum to get valuable advice and opinion about the massive move and committment to move to Australia, and in return I hope that I give a little bit back to other forum members needing advice. I also really enjoy reading everyones (well most) posts and relating to their own experiences.

I too have said loads of times that I have had enough of this forum as at times some members have reduced me to tears for various reasons in my own house without ever even meeting them. But, every single day I feel drawn back in and have to have a look and a comment!!

Much the same reasons. However we were already here for over a year before found the website. So i thought i may be able to pass on some hints and help others in the same situation, and avoid mistakes we made when we were moving.

Oh, and hope all is going well with the preganancy and looking for house. Remember my last reply when i said, no more kids!!! OOOPS!!!!

This thread is not about me...

But I am never rude (?) it's just sometimes I post home truths and the way people interpret them? As has been said on many threads, a lot of people come oh ere stating something and looking for support and agreement (understandable), but when a different opinion is stated people think they are being bullied, which just isn't true.

it's amazing the powerful affect of the internet..for it is only words on a screen of faceless people...but yes it can raise many tears and anger for people you dont even know

I moved over from another forum for migrants to Adelaide because I felt that was being over moderated by people with their own agenda! I try not to do the same now I'm a mod here, but freely confess I sometimes get it wrong!!

I think it's a great place to share info, and a bit of banter. If you've ever been on the parent site Pomsinoz you'll see a lot more banter, and potentially inflammatory comments than are allowed through here - perhaps we in Adelaide are a little more conservative? Who knows!!

I've used the site for help to questions I have (such as how to prune my roses when I can't ask my father-in-law!) and to organise girls' get togethers, and have met some great people through it. Having been here a few years too, I also sometimes post up info that I think (hope!) might be useful to others - such as stuff going on that might be of interest.

I think of it as a bit like being in a friendly UK pub - you won't always get on with everyone else in there, but you can chat about stuff, ask about stuff, and sometimes have a laugh.

I think we maybe ought to have a "Behind the Bike Sheds" area though for anyone that has personal issues with individuals to go slug it out! Or am I mixing my metaphors there - do pubs have bike sheds? Perhaps it's more like a school playground....

Contrary to some, I don't think it should just be an information sharing site about migration to Adelaide - I enjoy the banter, even when it's a bit heated, and think it's a good thing that everyone likes different things/different places - quite happy to listen to another's viewpoint if they can back it up with facts, or a good argument, as long as they afford me the same courtesy!

I don't think the Mods should be like policemen - we're not paid to catch miscreants, we just try and keep the site free of spam and personal abuse, but we're human too and entitled to express our own opinions and views - as long as we let others do the same! (Without personal abuse! Have I said that before???)

Live and let live, I reckon. Keep the banter going, keep it light, keep your sense of humour, put anyone that really irritates you on Ignore,....... and read your posts before submitting in case the written word has come across in a different tone to what you intended!

I moved over from another forum for migrants to Adelaide because I felt that was being over moderated by people with their own agenda! I try not to do the same now I'm a mod here, but freely confess I sometimes get it wrong!!

I think it's a great place to share info, and a bit of banter. If you've ever been on the parent site Pomsinoz you'll see a lot more banter, and potentially inflammatory comments than are allowed through here - perhaps we in Adelaide are a little more conservative? Who knows!!

I've used the site for help to questions I have (such as how to prune my roses when I can't ask my father-in-law!) and to organise girls' get togethers, and have met some great people through it. Having been here a few years too, I also sometimes post up info that I think (hope!) might be useful to others - such as stuff going on that might be of interest.

I think of it as a bit like being in a friendly UK pub - you won't always get on with everyone else in there, but you can chat about stuff, ask about stuff, and sometimes have a laugh.

I think we maybe ought to have a "Behind the Bike Sheds" area though for anyone that has personal issues with individuals to go slug it out! Or am I mixing my metaphors there - do pubs have bike sheds? Perhaps it's more like a school playground....

Contrary to some, I don't think it should just be an information sharing site about migration to Adelaide - I enjoy the banter, even when it's a bit heated, and think it's a good thing that everyone likes different things/different places - quite happy to listen to another's viewpoint if they can back it up with facts, or a good argument, as long as they afford me the same courtesy!

I don't think the Mods should be like policemen - we're not paid to catch miscreants, we just try and keep the site free of spam and personal abuse, but we're human too and entitled to express our own opinions and views - as long as we let others do the same! (Without personal abuse! Have I said that before???)

Live and let live, I reckon. Keep the banter going, keep it light, keep your sense of humour, put anyone that really irritates you on Ignore,....... and read your posts before submitting in case the written word has come across in a different tone to what you intended!

you are the most even person on here..your very factual and have help and advice for everything..many times i say to myself wow is there nothing this woman doesnt know..you keep it sane..i thank you:notworthy:

That's the nicest thing anyone on here has ever said to me - thanks!

your welcome...now what bus do i get from TEA TREE PLAZA to HINDMARSH..got to be there for 2pm today ...got to keep you on ya toes..:wubclub:

cheers but cornish off line...never caught the tram ..so bit thick ..where is it? street name, is there no bus that goes to hindmarsh from TTP interchange then...got a friend just passed her test 2 weeks ago offered to take me but bit scared to take offer as bit like being on the dukes of hazzard around corners...

I remember being berated and very abused for having opinions and views....and posting them on here....since then i have to do alot of fence sitting and biting of the tongue...

I come on here to offer help and advice on anything i know about, and to help people through the good and bad times....and in the early days we made some great friends who helped us through some very dark times.:policeman::policeman:

And if we can still be here after what we have been through ( alot of help from guys on here ) then we asre not doing bad..thanks to alot of guys on here.

Cheers PIA

HG

PS and being a mod means i have to.....

cheers but cornish off line...never caught the tram ..so bit thick ..where is it? street name, is there no bus that goes to hindmarsh from TTP interchange then...got a friend just passed her test 2 weeks ago offered to take me but bit scared to take offer as bit like being on the dukes of hazzard around corners...

I was giving bad advice..sorry!

tee tree plaza to hindmarsh - Google Maps