Changes ??

Guest guest569

Guest guest569

has anybody else had these feelings ???

Been in Oz 5 years next week and this xmas my best mate is coming over for the first time. I'm getting abit anxious. What if we have both changed ? Everyone on this side will know what i mean when i say its a tough road and your needs and personality changes abit. I definately don't feel the same person now as i was when we first landed.

We have had the odd phone call and a few facebook messages but nothing regular as life go's on.

I want him to have a fab time here and see the great lives we have made for ourselves.

Sorry for rambling.:embarrassed:

Hey my husband remet his mates after 14 years and still had a good time. Don't forget that your friends may not have stood still either and are 5 years on as well. But at the heart of the matter you have shared parts of your life together and will be able to reminisce and catch up on people you both know. If the convos look like they're beginning to stall then go hire some quad bikes, or head out of town n show em the stunning countryside etc. With the good weather coming there will be plenty to show n tell. Just be yourself and don't try to hard. It'll be great I'm sure :)

We had friends stay with us January...we couldn't work out exactly when we last saw them, but we were pretty sure they had never met our kids...and my eldest was 19 at the time...so has to be around that length of time..

So give or take a year or so, pretty much 19 years since we saw them....have been in contact on and off over those years.......well... we had a ball!!!!!!! Have to say its one of the best times we've had since arriving over here........it was also very sad, as one of them is terminally ill, so the good byes at the airport were pretty hard....as we know we want see him again....

I do know what you mean - we've only had family visit us since we've been here, despite constantly inviting old friends, but even now when I chat to my friend on the phone, we've grown apart in so many ways. I often find the conversations are almost a competition - "My kids have achieved this and this in England"...."Well, my kids have achieved this and this in Australia"..."Of course, Australia doesn't have such choice of university"..."Australia has some great universities"... etc etc!! Ridiculous as both places have their merits, but whereas we were such close friends before we'd have talked about everything and anything, and it was never competitive, now I feel I can't ever mention anything even slightly negative or I get "Well, why don't you come back then?!"

Also, when you have someone living with you, you get to know them in a totally new way to when you just visited for an afternoon/day! That's sometimes good though - I feel I got far closer to both my brother and sister when they visited us here, just because we had so much time in each other's company. Maybe that will happen with your friends?