What have you bought and sold on Ebay?

Diane

Was a bit bored the other day and found this on Ebay:

HOME HOUSE FOR SALE BARGAIN REAL ESTATE CHEAP PROPERTY - eBay, Real Estate, Home. (end time 01-Oct-10 14:28:59 AEST)

Which set me to thinking about what sort of stuff people buy and sell on there!

I've bought books, dvds, a trampoline and a formal dress from Ebay here - but never sold anything (yet!!) - what about the rest of you? I don't think it's quite as commonly used as in the UK, so I guess it's still in the growth stage here in Oz, but it'd be interesting to hear some tales of woe and success!

Diane

We really stick to Gumtree and (mostly car) forums to sell things. Ebay can be a bit riskier so we only use that to purchase things we can't find elsewhere or reach a larger audience if we have something to sell that won't go another way. Gumtree is really good and then you aren't at the whim of a large corporation (Ebay took over the Chicago Gumtree, as it has done in other cities, which is a shame as Ebay and Paypal and in conjunction, they charge heaps, and they're really really poor if you have a complaint.)

Which set me to thinking about what sort of stuff people buy and sell on there!

Diane

We sold our old kitchen, bathroom sink unit and wait for it .... the old toilets!!!! wouldnt have dreamed of even putting them on in the UK but just goes to show

what is one persons rubbish is another persons .... ops forgot the rest :huh:

love recycling...:D

Kim

Guest Woody and Jane

I've bought and sold quite a bit on eBay over the years. Now I just stick to buying as being a seller the cards are stacked against you. You pay fees to eBay to put something on for sale, you pay eBay a fee based on your item's selling price then you pay PayPal (eBay) for the person paying for the item.

Unless you send your item by a method that requires a signature you are at the whim of the buyer as to whether or not they are going to be honest enough to say they received it. 99% of the time they are honest but when you're dealing with that 1% the seller loses.

The seller also loses in any PayPal disputes a buyer raises so not only do you no longer have the item you have sold but you're also out of pocket the money you were paid plus how much it cost you to post.

Also as a seller you are unable to leave buyers negative feedback which is really annoying if they don't pay for over a week or are just generally rude and unpleasant to deal with. eBay only allows you to leave a positive comment but if you write anything negative within it the comment is removed. However a buyer can lie to their hearts content and leave a seller negative feedback and there's very little you can do.

As a buyer in the UK I did like the fact that eBay stopped sellers charging P&P on DVDs and games (as a seller it was very annoying). On Aussie eBay sellers can charge whatever postage they like for a DVD, some people charging $10! I know sometimes they have a vastly greater distance to travel but $10! I got a game delivered to Oz from UK eBay for about $3.20.

Woody.

Guest lindagarrattley

Just thought I'd throw this one in, has any one heard/seen the hilarious ebay song (2 or 3 versions) on youtube? If you google ebay song, it's a fab take off and well worth the effort.

Guest Woody and Jane
Just thought I'd throw this one in, has any one heard/seen the hilarious ebay song (2 or 3 versions) on youtube? If you google ebay song, it's a fab take off and well worth the effort.

Weird Al rocks! That song is so true.

Guest The Dimmocks

I could write a book on the things we brought and sold on Ebay. To many to mention but most sold things have made a nice profit as most came from car boots or out someones loft.

I did recently sell an ipad I won :-)

Michelle

Guest katsmajic

Best things i sold on ebay, oddest anyway, was some cosworth stickers/decals that hg was given at work in uk, he got about 40 odd of them, i stuck them on for £1 each, sold the lot to latvia/italy/austria they loved them....easiest £40 ever...

sold loads on ebay and car boots prior to coming here...and bought some bargains here and there too....