Is it just me being oversensitive?

Diane

....But is there a trace of racism in the way the Commonwealth Games is being pushed here in Australia? First of all there were the TV ads about "every Aussie wants to beat a Pom" and now it's "Pom protest robs Sally of Gold" (Sally Pearson protest was 'payback' | Adelaide Now) (Don't read the comments afterwards if you're easily offended either!!!)

I'm all for a bit of healthy competition, and I guess the media are just getting warmed up for the Ashes (Go, Broady, Go!) but it all seems a little off-colour to me!

Maybe I'm just being oversensitive, being a bit of a pom myself...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest laurenburton92

If u wanna be all PC and correct then go back to PC england!,the aussies don't wanna loose or come last to a pom!! Just like wales against england!! Good on em! Can't blame them to be honest, its there country!

Guest Chandan

or to be a Aussie in London.. when that so called Rugby World Cup Johnnie Wilkinson moment... years and years of banter was thrown in my direction.. then there was the ashes..

its just banter (I havent seen said article) but its all swings and roundabouts.. it'll be your turn soon to rub it in to the Aussies about the Poms winning something..

or to be a Aussie in London.. when that so called Rugby World Cup Johnnie Wilkinson moment... years and years of banter was thrown in my direction.. then there was the ashes..

its just banter (I havent seen said article) but its all swings and roundabouts.. it'll be your turn soon to rub it in to the Aussies about the Poms winning something..

LOLOL Don't bank on it! You should have been here during the last (Australian) Ashes series when England couldn't even get into double figures and lost just about everything!! At least the Poms could be said to be world experts at choking - if you're gonna fail, do it spectacularly I say!!

Guest Chandan
LOLOL Don't bank on it! You should have been here during the last (Australian) Ashes series when England couldn't even get into double figures and lost just about everything!! At least the Poms could be said to be world experts at choking - if you're gonna fail, do it spectacularly I say!!

Here here!!:biglaugh:

Or you can do what I do and rely on my blonde hair and my femaleness to get me through by being blaise about it all and act dumb as to what is going on..

Guest Woody and Jane

I felt there was a lot of anti English sentiment in the comments section of the article on Adelaide Now. I know we like a bit of a whinge when things don't go our way but the Aussies are some of the sorest losers I've ever seen. They'd hands down win the Whinging World Cup if it were an England v Australia final.

Guest Tterrier81

i love the banter, and especially at the moment when most of our pommie sports teams are better than the aussie, look at our cricket team at the mo, reigning ashes champs, reigning 20/20 world champs,

i got to admit that i think the aussies are some of the sorest losers but i understand this as they never used to lose so when they did its just that little bit harder for them and being a pom i never get my hopes up so i can never be dissapointed and more elated when we do win.

plus i think our football team is heaps better than theres, and thats football, not soccer, football!! not aussie rules!! (which i think is a good sport, very entertaining but it does make me chuckle sometimes , how can u draw a grand final??? and why the hell do u get a point for missing)

bring on the ashes cos win or lose i will be watchin it with my aussie mates and we will be gettin stuck into each other and not in a racist way!!

Actually, I was looking at the Daily Mail website the other day (so sue me!) and had to scroll down about five pages in the Sports section before the Commonwealth Games was even mentioned! They were more concerned about some young lad who's been picked to star in some sports advert, and why hasn't he been picked to play for the England team! Oh and Rooney's love life of course!!

Guest guest569
....But is there a trace of racism in the way the Commonwealth Games is being pushed here in Australia? First of all there were the TV ads about "every Aussie wants to beat a Pom" and now it's "Pom protest robs Sally of Gold" (Sally Pearson protest was 'payback' | Adelaide Now) (Don't read the comments afterwards if you're easily offended either!!!)

I'm all for a bit of healthy competition, and I guess the media are just getting warmed up for the Ashes (Go, Broady, Go!) but it all seems a little off-colour to me!

Maybe I'm just being oversensitive, being a bit of a pom myself...

Your definately off colour diane. You need to be more green and gold and support the country that gives you such a good life not the red and white that you left behind !!:Randy-git:

LOL Bob, that's where I'm torn see, because normally (like in the World Cup Football) I'd support both England and Australia, but when one of them is being so arrogant and bad losers, it's really tough not to just say "Blow it, I'm gonna support New Zealand instead!"

I have dual nationality and Australia might be looking after me now, but England looked after me for the best part of 38 years before that! How could I be so disloyal as to turn my back on either one??!

Damn it, I'm gonna move to Nehru!

Germany are still trying to increase taxation so they can pay off their massive gas bill from 1945 !!!!:biglaugh:

Sorry, that is just sick. I have just finished listening the book "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" - you should try it, and then perhaps you wouldn't make flippant comments about something so horrendous. For everyone.

Guest Damien
Sorry, that is just sick. I have just finished listening the book "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" - you should try it, and then perhaps you wouldn't make flippant comments about something so horrendous. For everyone.

Diane, Heaps Good was born in the 'Fatherland' hence my post (we are from the Motherland!) We all know about the madness of WWII but it was 70 odd years ago in a different world. PP's post was said in jest, a very much un-PC joke but we are sick of PC life in the UK. Here in Oz PC does not exist yet.............or does it?

Perhaps you are being oversensitive.....;)