We've landed!

Sears Family

Hi all, well we've landed! :jiggy:

It was a strange day, no thanks to the council who no longer collect bulky items without charge had to start the day with 3 trips to the skip! Quick rush around. said goodbye to a good friend and handed over my house keys - oddly this was a really emotional event as it was final...we're on our way.

Had a final supper with my mum and brothers near Windsor so obviously had a few tears to share with mum, actually it was Jennah's fault as she said "Dont worry nan, they're happy tears!" That's it I just couldnt hold the tears in then!

Drove to LHR with butterflies as suddenly remembered that I do not like flying :huh: PLUS this is really happening! Faired quite well at check in, no tears actually, got a bit aprehensive when we were told we only had 20kg (plus 5kg gift!) but thank goodness I printed off my e-mail from singapore airlines stating we could have 40kg! Very worried about weights (we packed / unpacked / weighed and repacked god knows how many times!!) but in the end we were under by 1KG! PHEW :)

We were a bit cheaky with the hand luggage (and to be honest really wish we had just 1 bag each!).

The tears came again when we said our final goodbyes at the security gates, but then rush/unpack/repack/find seats/departure lounge/rush/called on - and we're off!

Feel like a Zombie but all in all the flight through Singapore was faultless (thank goodness) given the current issues around the A380!!

Kids did well but sadly Jen got quarantined as she felt sick when we landed :err:

Bless her she thought she was going to see Keira!

Arrived at Arcacia Rentals and now just settling in - thanks Kim

Met our first few spiders already - which is good as it reinforced my point that the kids shouldnt leave clothes on the floor! Brandon soon learnt after having a bath.

Feeling a bit scared and overwhelmed by it all - even when we were leaving the airport it did not seem real! i think that is done to the fact that all of this has happened so quickly.

Do shout if anyone fancies a coffee! Happy to get together - hopefully we'll make the next full get-together, but for now I'm off to bed!

Guest guest3462

Welcome to oz!!! Get yourselves settled in and catch your breath as the next few weeks will be a bit of a blur! Give us a shout if u wanna meet up once you feel like tour on the right side of day again!!

Take it easy

julia x

Thank you everyone :)

Feel much better - slept from 12 mid til 8am so feeling quite good at the moment, just hoping it doesnt hit too hard over the next couple of days!

Going into the City tomorrow (sorting out bank etc) which car park would you say is best - we need to get to NAB.

Also has anyone had to do a driving test!? Going to sort this out in a few weeks - dont want to stress out by doing too much - have enough worrying about renting!

Will take you up on the coffee's once we feel human agian!

Regards

Von

Sue as in Sue2oz has passed a driving test here. If you already have a UK licence then its just a case of 'swapping' for an Aussie one (plus the fee of course).

Where abouts are you staying???

Best car park to aim for is the one (multi storey) that is over the top of Central Market - there are entries from Gouger Street and Grote Street - it's just behind Victoria Square which is in the centre of Adelaide, so easy enough to walk from there to most places in the City. Any of the other city car parks cost an absolute fortune, so do try and find this one!

As mentioned above, you don't have to do a test if you already have a UK license. If you do need to learn to drive though, you need to do a theory test to get your L's - you can practice on here: http://www.mylicence.sa.gov.au/online_quiz and here: http://www.raa.com.au/page.aspx?TerID=192 You can buy a book of road rules at any licensing office. Not a bad idea to have a practice of the tests anyway, even if you've been driving for a while, to geet used to any small differences between the UK and here - don't expect other drivers on the road to follow them though!!

HTH

Diane

Oh, and welcome to Adelaider!

Sue as in Sue2oz has passed a driving test here. If you already have a UK licence then its just a case of 'swapping' for an Aussie one (plus the fee of course).

Where abouts are you staying???

Hi that's great thanks! Yep Pete and I both have UK licences so at least on less thing to do/worry about! That said I may get a highway code at least!

We're staying in Moana for a couple of weeks while we have a look around and hunt down a rental.

Best car park to aim for is the one (multi storey) that is over the top of Central Market - there are entries from Gouger Street and Grote Street - it's just behind Victoria Square which is in the centre of Adelaide, so easy enough to walk from there to most places in the City. Any of the other city car parks cost an absolute fortune, so do try and find this one!

As mentioned above, you don't have to do a test if you already have a UK license. If you do need to learn to drive though, you need to do a theory test to get your L's - you can practice on here: My Licence - online quiz and here: RAA - Road Safety - Learning to Drive - Learner's Test You can buy a book of road rules at any licensing office. Not a bad idea to have a practice of the tests anyway, even if you've been driving for a while, to geet used to any small differences between the UK and here - don't expect other drivers on the road to follow them though!!

HTH

Diane

Oh, and welcome to Adelaider!

Perfect thank you x

Alipally is leaving a rental....in Port Noarlunga south have a look for her on here....

HG

Hi HG

Thank you for the heads up, but think that's a bit too far out for us.

My work is in Fullarton so going to be looking at places no further south than Hallett Cove (hint if anyone knows of anyone breaking lease!! - dont mind if we're near beach / hills so long as good schools and local shops etc!!).

Thanks again

Von

Hi Yvonne, pete

Glad your settling in, can be very busy your first few weeks but do take time to walk on the gorgeous Moana beach and maybe pop into the surf club for a quick drink!!!!!

Hope all went well today in the big city:D

Looking forward to catching up tomorrow.

Kim

A week already!? :err:

This 1st week has flown by. Feet haven't really touched the ground but everyone has been wonderful!

Have managed to secure a rental (really worried as we only had a 3 week let! oh plus I start work on the 29th!), a car, bike for jen & xmas tree (thanks to the garage sales)!! Been out window shopping to compare prices and my heads in a spin just thinking about it!

Settled in ok really in regard to jet lag as we had night flights and arrived at 9am, but now having same old problem I wake up at 6:10am every day - would have thought a jolt to the system would let me lie in!

Met some lovelly people already and willing to help which has been a godsend. Really looking forward to our 1st barbie tmw :jiggy:

After the 1st mad week we can finally relax with the basics sorted, so will do a few touristy bits next week before I start work :huh:

Hints for newbies - get a SIM asap! Dont bother going into real estate agents, just ring up and chase! (NB you will need your passport to sign up)

A week already!? :err:

This 1st week has flown by. Feet haven't really touched the ground but everyone has been wonderful!

Have managed to secure a rental (really worried as we only had a 3 week let! oh plus I start work on the 29th!), a car, bike for jen & xmas tree (thanks to the garage sales)!! Been out window shopping to compare prices and my heads in a spin just thinking about it!

Settled in ok really in regard to jet lag as we had night flights and arrived at 9am, but now having same old problem I wake up at 6:10am every day - would have thought a jolt to the system would let me lie in!

Met some lovelly people already and willing to help which has been a godsend. Really looking forward to our 1st barbie tmw :jiggy:

After the 1st mad week we can finally relax with the basics sorted, so will do a few touristy bits next week before I start work :huh:

Hints for newbies - get a SIM asap! Dont bother going into real estate agents, just ring up and chase! (NB you will need your passport to sign up)

what a great post....good to hear you are settling in petty good...even better is that you have brought us some nice weather with you guys......

Just think eh we could possibly have this sort of weather for the next 5 months or so....oh the hardship eh.....

Enjoy your bbq today and have a few cold ones for us.....

HG