Advice needed about setting up a veggie plot!!!

Guest guest3462

Guest guest3462

Well, after reading these recent threads it has restarted my idea to start a veggie plot in the garden for me and the kids to look after and grow. We were going to start in the spring, but as we went back to the UK for our jollies I didn't think there was any point in letting it go to rack and ruin while we were gone.

Now, the big question is, is it too late in the season for me start now or can I buy established seeldings and late plant them. Both girls have birthdays straight after christmas and the thought of buying even more toys fills me with dread and fear and I thought that this would make a lovely alternative gift to toys that won't get played with.

I'm sure they would both love the idea of getting their hands dirty and reaping the rewards of their hard work, but I have no green fingers and have no idea where to start.

Any help and advice (especially on what to plant and how to look after it!) would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Guest Guest75

It's not the best time to start really.

When the hot weather kicks in you will be in and out watering all day.

If you are a beginner it might be easier to buy established seedlings.

But why not actually turn this into a real learning project for the kids and start from seed.?

Great to teach kids where food comes from.

Little Tyke and I had a veggie patch back in the UK, plus she can milk a cow,skin and gut things :cute:

Plant in a partially shaded area at this time of year - or use a piece of shade cloth to protect the seedlings.

You might be better using pots and trays for your first time (give me a shout,I've some spare.)Easier to monitor and water + if the site gets too hot you can move them.

You need to put some work into soil if you are going to plant direct - not something I'd be doing when it gets hot!!

Easy stuff to grow from seed (at this time of year are melons and pumpkins + why not grow some Sunlfowers for fun? (might entice the kids more)

Buy a punnet of tomato seedlings - perhaps the cherry tomatoes as the kids will think of their bounty in their size terms?

Onions are dead easy - spring ones for the salad??

Gaining confidence is what it's all about.

Enjoy!

We bought some pre-made wooden flower beds from DIY place on Lacey Drive just off How road.

We fastened 2 of them together.....filled with soil then mixed some compost and cow poo in the top few inches then stirred it all through...were currently growing Sunflowers, Cucumbers, pumpkins, ans some onions.

The onions we just stuck the bottoms from ones we had used for a salad and they are growing amazingly well....

HG

I've been trying to 're-find' my green fingers recently. Loving it! Infact I reckon I'm becoming Mrs SelfSufficiency already!!!

Got a load of potted herbs - these can be moved around to be in/out of the shade. Easy to grow also

Also have tomatoes, spinach, capsicum, chilli, beans and cucumber growing. Just planted rock melon.

Keeping all bath, dish water and having a fine old time of it!

Going away over crimbo though.......hope the rain continues a little (at night)

If you are planning this on an on going basis you need to really have four areas and rotate what you grow each year to help reduce diseases. Remind me on Saturday and I'll explain more. I used to grow loads of veggies in the UK. Finally got myself an allotment the year before I moved out here. :dull:

Guest guest3462

Thanks Pete, i need all the help I can get :-) We have a long plot of land allocated at the side of the house so should get 4 small raised beds in there! My dad will be proud!

Guest Aussie pat

I recently helped out at our school fete gardening stall and we were selling cheap copies of Jon Lamb's 'Grow Your Own SA'. It usually costs $14.95 from newsagents and is produced by The Advertiser. I have a copy of another of his books in this range on drought tolerant gardening and have found it really good.

Hope this helps. Sorry have tried to post the link but it wasn't active when I pasted it.

Guest Guest75

Sorry but "Growing your own" is making me snigger now............... wait until the seed heads are out.

:goofy:

The northern part of Adelaide ----------- think Angle Vale and surrounds- was famous for it from the late 70's, best stuff this side of the Indian Ocean apparently??:wacko::cool::cool:

Guest The Dimmocks

I have wanted to start growing our own stuff for a while but been putting it off till we buy our own house. This thread has made me decide to start now.

Thanks Julia x

We picked up a couple of half wine barrels from Wood n Logs Seaford...they were doing an offer with compost and plants for about $70...we now have a good selection of chillis, cucumber, tomatoes, bush pumpkins and herbs...saving a fortune on herbs now and so nice to pick fresh...love it!!!!

Sorry but "Growing your own" is making me snigger now............... wait until the seed heads are out.

:goofy:

The northern part of Adelaide ----------- think Angle Vale and surrounds- was famous for it from the late 70's, best stuff this side of the Indian Ocean apparently??:wacko::cool::cool:

We wouldnt know what your talking about...heehee

HG