christmas spirit

Guest Tterrier81

Guest Tterrier81

after being here nearly 7 years i still havent got used to christmas, it just doesnt feel right and i dont think it ever will, plus i have no family here so it makes it just a bit more difficult this time of year, but as they say 'its what u make it'

anyway, what i really wanted to say was happy christmas everyone, hope u all have a lovely day and santa brings u what u wanted, also have a fantastic new year and stay safe over the festive period.

look forward to talkin to u all in 2011, especially the cricket banter!!

take care

dan

after being here nearly 7 years i still havent got used to christmas, it just doesnt feel right and i dont think it ever will, plus i have no family here so it makes it just a bit more difficult this time of year, but as they say 'its what u make it'

anyway, what i really wanted to say was happy christmas everyone, hope u all have a lovely day and santa brings u what u wanted, also have a fantastic new year and stay safe over the festive period.

look forward to talkin to u all in 2011, especially the cricket banter!!

take care

dan

Happy Christmas Dan.

It's more low key here, surprisingly with the amount of TV advertising. I think you're right though, it's what you make it.

All the best,

Cooler

I know what you mean. This will be our 7th Christmas here, but I think the secret is to stop trying to recreate a northern hemisphere Christmas, and start 'new' southern hemisphere traditions instead. Going cherry picking now makes me think of Christmas - something I'd never done at any time of year in the the UK, but always do in late December here. Also, getting together with our neighbours in the park for a few drinks on Christmas Eve is something we've done for the last couple of years - hardly see each other the rest of the year, so that's a nice tradition. A big barbecue breakfast on Christmas Day is something I'm looking forward to. Then head for the beach, and afterwards, off camping.

Yeh it's not what my mind insists is "Christmassy" but it's just a matter or trying to re-adjust, although there were 40-odd northern hemisphere Christmasses, so it's going to take a while!

All the best to you too Dan - and if you fancy the beach on Christmas Day, feel free to join us at West Beach!!

Guest Tterrier81
I know what you mean. This will be our 7th Christmas here, but I think the secret is to stop trying to recreate a northern hemisphere Christmas, and start 'new' southern hemisphere traditions instead. Going cherry picking now makes me think of Christmas - something I'd never done at any time of year in the the UK, but always do in late December here. Also, getting together with our neighbours in the park for a few drinks on Christmas Eve is something we've done for the last couple of years - hardly see each other the rest of the year, so that's a nice tradition. A big barbecue breakfast on Christmas Day is something I'm looking forward to. Then head for the beach, and afterwards, off camping.

Yeh it's not what my mind insists is "Christmassy" but it's just a matter or trying to re-adjust, although there were 40-odd northern hemisphere Christmasses, so it's going to take a while!

All the best to you too Dan - and if you fancy the beach on Christmas Day, feel free to join us at West Beach!!

hey diane, i totally agree with u on tryin to do aussie things, im doin a barbie for christmas tea!! and we would love to join u on the beach but unfortunately being a chef i will spend most of christmas day stuck in a kitchen feedin other familys, thanks heaps for the invite and all the best

Guest Chandan

I dont think I have heard any christmas songs on the radio.. which they normally start in november in the uk..

Its funny, being from here, for the past 11 christmas' I have spent them in the UK and always said it doesnt feel like christmas..

and now I am here.. it doesnt feel like christmas either.. grass greener? I dont know.. but I have just finished wrapping all my gifts (woo hoo! gotta love July toy sales and layby.. I picked up my shopping this evening and was home within an hour..)

I am having my first christmas in 10 years with my mum and dad and brother.. and looking forward to a very english fare with all the aussie trimmings!

Wishing you too a happy christmas Dan! and of course to everyone else!!

I'm in the UK and i am missing the christmas spirit too even with all the snow, maybe its because i am hundreds of miles away from my family, or maybe as i have worked the last 3 Christmas'. We tend to have our Christmas day a few days after the 25th and try to make it the most of it. The Christmas cheer soon returns to me after a few mulled wines, bucks fizz's and snowballs :P

Merry Christmas everyone! Hopefully our next Christmas will be in Adelaide!

Guest moonraker1959

I always loved Xmas in Australia,mainly because most of my family are there!!!! I do believe its what you make it.I actually miss wearing summer clothing at xmas!lol Anyway hope everyone has a great day,and a very happy new year as well!xx

This will be our 4th xmas here and Im actually really looking forward to it..

The first xmas here was all very exciting and we went down the beach with some friends then had a barbie at ours......it was a nice day, but not xmassy at all and felt like a barbie we had previous weekends......

The 2nd one, we did the same, only my parents were here - they said they enjoyed it - but would never do a xmas here again (so I guess that says it all)

LAst year, we decided not to go to the beach, but to do a roast - it was just us, and it felt very flat - and we were in a rental.

This year - we are in our new house and I decided that I would really make a go of xmas this year - we put the xmas tree up early, have made things with the kids..been playing christmas songs . We are doing a big roast again this year - but have another family joining us..........our plan is get up and open all the pressies Santa has left....then, a champayne and fruit salad brekky on our balcony....followed by a Roast Turkey for dinner with lovely friends, a dip in the pool, a walk along Moana beach to catch up with friends, a boardgame in the evening with the kids and lots and lots of chocolates!!!

When I think back to christmas in Uk...I remeber alot of people including myself, saying 'it doesnt feel like xmas'.....and it doesnt, alot of it is sentiment......its what you make it.

Happy Christmas !

sarahx