Grant Cameron - Sunday Mail (DIY Men - RIP)

Leyland CJ

Great column by Grant Cameron in the Sunday Mail today re: DIY and Men.

Apparently, because no one shows their sons / grandsons how to do it anymore, it will die out. As Andrew Martin said "British Men are useless at DIY"

Andrew Martin: We may be useless at DIY, but taking pleasure in housework is a man's right - Commentators, Opinion - The Independent

And what a fantastic idea to have a register. These 'more senior' men should not just be tossed on the scrapheap. I personally would love to have a beer with them and maybe learn a bit :)

If I had ever had a more senior man like that - teaching me how to DIY stuff, I would have been chuffed....because I never did, and I think that a lot of other men on this board would be nodding their head at the lack of a "father figure" or just "a dad who did things like that".

CJ.

Guest kerfumph

Sorry, but what a load of tosh. DIY is dieing out because more and more men sit in an office all day and either:

a) Feel getting their hands dirty is beneath them

b) Can't use their work skills to assist their diy skills

Not being told how to do something in the age of the internet is a cop out. 10 minutes with google and you tube and you can do anything (you're allowed to) in a house.

*further on b) With the decline in manfacturing people are not being taught how to make anything, the skills you learn in making a product can easily be adapted to the home.

I wouldn't be so quick to write it off - some of these 'more senior' men probably feel irked that the end of their working life (where they were doing that kind of stuff) was "here's your gold watch, thanks, bye" and they don't get much recognition for skills that they still have.

I was writing it from the point that "gee, wouldn't it be great for some of the young ones like me to learn off some of the oldies ?", which is why I don't get up into my roof space or onto my carport - I have reservations about standing in the wrong place and putting my foot through the ceiling.

And I am sure (know) that YouTube doesn't tell you everything...

Sorry, but what a load of tosh. DIY is dieing out because more and more men sit in an office all day and either:

a) Feel getting their hands dirty is beneath them

b) Can't use their work skills to assist their diy skills

Not being told how to do something in the age of the internet is a cop out. 10 minutes with google and you tube and you can do anything (you're allowed to) in a house.

*further on b) With the decline in manfacturing people are not being taught how to make anything, the skills you learn in making a product can easily be adapted to the home.

Wish they had google when I was younger, could have saved years of training, college and low pay;):D

Simon

As an aside - I've not read the initial linked article - why is it just 'Men' and 'Dads'? My dad did next to naff all while I was growing up. My mum, on the otherhand, taught me and my brothers loads. And no, she wasn't from a 'trade', she just got on with it.

Lyndsey

Guest kerfumph
Iwhich is why I don't get up into my roof space or onto my carport - I have reservations about standing in the wrong place and putting my foot through the ceiling.

:shocked: There are hard bits and soft bits, guess which you stand on. I fail to believe anybody who has put their head through the man hatch could not work it out.

Guest The Dimmocks

My hubby made some shelves yesterday for all our DVD's I went into the garage to help and there was our 5 year old daugther being shown how to use the drill to put the screws into the sides. I'm sure our kids will learn alot from their Daddy and cant wait to get our own house so he can get his hands on some DIY jobs.

Guest Guest75

Plenty of time for old / older blokes myself. (I'm turning into one!)

They will show you some of the old tips/ strokes for all sorts of stuff.

I have two "Old bloke" mates here - one will turn up with 53 assorted sash clamps for a minor joinery job:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Wish I'd listened to an old family friend years ago, he knew how to make anything from brown paper and sting!!!

Fortunately listened to the gardening side of things and would have made my Dad proud.(Going for the challenge of growing show Chrysanthemums next year)

Honestly I don't care how this stuff is shared / saved - any medium will do as long as the job get's done!!!!!!:cute:

:shocked: There are hard bits and soft bits, guess which you stand on. I fail to believe anybody who has put their head through the man hatch could not work it out.

Well, seeing as you know so much, you can come around to my house and show me when I stuff up ! :D

(Seriously, if you haven't got anything nice to say to anyone in this thread, don't.)

Mods, I am out of here for now. Peace. You may lock the thread if it becomes abusive and childish.

Guest Mitchell

Wish I'd listened to an old family friend years ago, he knew how to make anything from brown paper and sting!!!

Brown paper and sting?! What the guy who used to be the lead singer with The Police? I didn't know he was into DIY lol

Guest Guest75
Brown paper and sting?! What the guy who used to be the lead singer with The Police? I didn't know he was into DIY lol

:biglaugh:

Posted on coffee #1 this morning - sorry!!!:cute:

Saying that I hear Gordon Matthew Sumner is good with his hands ;)

What has that got to do with putting up a shelf?

You suggested google was as good as a place to get info on diy as somone with years of experiance, I don't think so.

Puttiing up a shelp, how big, what weight is it going to carry, what brackets, what size and type of fixings to use, what is the wall your fixing the shelf to made of, how to locate stud work, water pipes, electric cables, do noggings have to be fitted, if you have some knowledge google could fill in the gaps, but for a lot of people the confidence gained by having an experienced person giving advise can't be replaced.

Simon;)