Flood Levy

Guest Guest5035

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drove through Murray Birdge/Tailem Bend last weekend, water was very high... In places looked higher than the fields, guess the levee at tailem bend is doing it's job.

I don't like the concept of paying extra tax as a result of the governement being so short sighted as to allow so much development on the floodplains. And there's still no indication that they're not just going to rebuild on the floodplain.

It also feels like a slap in the face to the people who've donated, I'll bet they won't be so quick to open their wallets next time there's a crisis.

Guest browny_oh

Lots of the money is to go to help recover lost revenue from the mines! These are the same mines that until recently were raking it in!

Why don't they start there?

Naw, I don't think the flood levy is a good idea, but I'd look for other cuts and options before turning (inevitably I suppose) to asylum seekers. There's no good economical sense for rushing back to a surplus, so why not delay it a year and use less than half of one percent of GDP to cover the cost? They won't do that only because of the political backlash, so the tax payer has to cough up. Same with NBN (and let's not get sidetracked by all the 'recurrent funding' arguments here; 48 billion is 48 billion, regardless of which pot it comes out of). This could be delayed a year and who'd notice? Won't happen, though, for the same reason they won't delay the surplus.

A sad day for rational decisions, sorry to say.

Jim

Guest Tterrier81

isnt it only around $1 a week extra tax on a middle income wage??? if it is then i have no problem paying it what so ever, and if ever anything as devastatin like that happened in adelaide then i hope the rest of the country would do the same for us

Guest Tterrier81

and i earn less than $50000 a year so i wont even have to pay anything, and like i say i had no problem in payin less than a dollar a week anyway, $50 a year is absolutely nothing

Might as well make it a permanent levy as some part of Australia will suffer most years - Flood, cyclone, fire, drought. It's not like they don't know its coming. History teaches us that. Trouble is, they just rebuild it all in the same place. How stupid can you get?

You live there, you take the risks. Don't want the risk? Don't live there.

Guest Tterrier81

$5 a week on $100000 a year is hardly gonna break the bank, to sit there whingin about payin such a little amount to help the people of the country who accepted us as one of there own is embarrasin, and people wonder why they call us whingin pommes

Guest guest3462

I dissagree tterrier, I think it's unfair that middle/ higher earners should pay even more tax to pay the flood levy. We fall into that salary bracket and we are more than struggling financially at the moment whether we earn a lot or not!! We have donated to the flood appeal what little we could afford and that wasn't much I can tell you but it hits hard when they slam you with yet another bill for something that only (at this time) indirectly affects us as members of society. I completely agree that it has been a devastating time for the flood victims and have been saddened by the scenes; this isn't me being a heartless bugger, but merely venting my frustrating at getting stung yet again by the Feds while still hanging on to the thoughts that we are the silly sods sat here with an uncertain future in this country cos they can't pull their finger out for the people who are working hard here, paying every fee and tax but unable to claim a cent to help finance our kids and still waiting for immigration news.

Wow rant over... I really have got a bee in my bonnet today, I am really grumpy got a bad bad pain in my shoulder and it's driving me to distraction!!!!

Guest Guest5035
$5 a week on $100000 a year is hardly gonna break the bank, to sit there whingin about payin such a little amount to help the people of the country who accepted us as one of there own is embarrasin, and people wonder why they call us whingin pommes

But for myself i've donated 12 hours OT, which was also matched dollar for dollar by my company, plus the levy i now have to pay, so can i have my 12 hours OT back, as i'd be better off?

Its not just the poms whingeing either, theres been a couple of polls done today, 90% said NO.

Why not stop spending on the Boaties and accepting them, that would save millions.

stevo

Guest Guest5035
, but merely venting my frustrating at getting stung yet again by the Feds while still hanging on to the thoughts that we are the silly sods sat here with an uncertain future in this country cos they can't pull their finger out for the people who are working hard here, paying every fee and tax but unable to claim a cent to help finance our kids and still waiting for immigration news.

QUOTE]

Should have come on a Boat, you'd get the lot.;)

Stevo

Guest Tterrier81

fair enough,i agree about the boaties but just turning them away wont solve the situation, and i take my hat off to u for donating, its a good thing what u have done.

and im not trying to butt heads with my comments, im just voicing my opinion like everyone else

but c'mon guys, its only between 20cents to a dollar a day for the next year, its not that much really is it?

I think that is a very narrow minded thing to say and I have to agree with Julia and others, we are classed as mid/high income (just) and are although not struggling we do not have money to give away, with 5 children and trying (unsuccessfully) to save for a house the extra money (and to us it is not a little amount) to pay for a levy will be a struggle. I do feel for all the people that have been affected but perhaps the government should stop making others struggle by forgetting about the levy and stop giving so much money to other countries and plough it into this country instead.

And it is not only UK people saying this, I have many Aussie friends and they are all complaining about it. Of course it looks like whinging poms on here but aren't the majority of people on here poms??? nuff said

For me it's not so much the amount (although I'm not saying we can afford it - we're struggling as it is!) but the fact that it could be found in so many other ways but because these mean the gov't loses face the tax payer gets slogged. Also, once introduced, a levy has way of becoming a permanent fixture ...

Ironic too that ministers have repeatedly said in the last few weeks that the floods are an example of what's to come with global warming only for Gillard to axe the green/carbon capture projects today that were meant to reduce Australia's footprint. So much for the environment being the 'greatest moral challenge of our generation'.

Jim

Sory dude - the levy is not to help the population get their lives back - it's to cover the cost of the state infrastructure that got damaged - roads, rail, utilities etc. As such I strongly disagree with it as I feel the govt should cover the costs from elsewhere within the budget. Taking funds from the NBN project would seem a good option to start with as the only people that'll really benefit from that are probably going to be ebay and p0rn sites.

If this "levy" is allowed to come into being it will not be temporary as it'll provide an extra revenue stream so as in the next general elections the govt can boast they've managed to "balance the books", something they have no hope of doing at the moment.

Guest kangomik
fair enough,i agree about the boaties but just turning them away wont solve the situation, and i take my hat off to u for donating, its a good thing what u have done.

and im not trying to butt heads with my comments, im just voicing my opinion like everyone else

but c'mon guys, its only between 20cents to a dollar a day for the next year, its not that much really is it?

Pay mine will you mate

Guest kangomik
Wnt effect me as i am poor....unless they take both wages...then we will pay....

Just my View whats $50 a year....

HG

Whats an extra 50 bux, pay mine too will you mate?

I feel sorry for the people in QLD, but a government should sort this a different way.

It's a little like getting a cash payout to avoid a crisis only to watch fuel jump up 20 cents a litre for a couple of weeks LOL

What about all the people who took time off work, got down there and helped complete strangers clear up their homes.

Funny it was announced after Aussie day.

I do agree with others, and wonder how long the tax will stay