Banned words in my house...

Sallyh

Any pronunciations or words you are banning in your house because you just can't embrace them despite being in Rome and all that???!!!

I married an Australian so 10 years ago I got in there early and now we both say:

Ooooooono (not "You Know")

Lego (not LAYgo - I am disappointed someone even thought they needed a phonetic spelling of Laygo as a business name!!!)

Flip flops. I convinced DH to say flip flops because we had probably one too many dinner parties where "thong" brought the room to dead silence. Ok I am prone to exaggeration but I had to quickly to explain to friends a few times what thongs were in Australia.

But I have, this summer begun to say thongs. The rot is setting in. DH helpfully asked me today whether I have noticed I am saying thongs to the children.

My children still say Lego. And Uno.

At the moment I can't think of any more unAustralianisms (sorry Sam) but feel free to add yours.

Lets campaign to keep SOMETHING of what we've left behind!!!!

Oh and I asked a friend for clingfilm when I was bringing DH a doggy bag of goodies from a late mums night on the weekend.

Finding it hard with the following:

Pepper.. not capsicum

Courgette... not zucchini

Rice Krispies... not Rice Bubbles

Sweets..........not lollies

Slide......not Slippery dip!!

Marmite... not Mymate ..(think its a copyright thing here)

Trousers... not Pants

Think I could go on & on !!!

I do find it amusing that 'jif' is still called 'jif' here (not 'cif'.. I still always called it jif when they changed the name in the uk.. so im ok with that one!!)

No really.. I love it here & have adapted to most things!!

Oh yes I love it too, it's about all I can complain about but even then it's with a smile on my face.

We have been saying zucchini since DS1 was 2 cos he learned the word picking them in the garden with Grandma... so we said Zucchini in England before we moved here.

But capsicum's a funny one! When I first cooked for DH i asked him if there was anything he didn't like. He said capsicum. I thought that was fine, I was hardly likely to serve it up if I didn't know what it was. So I made lasagne, with red and green peppers in it. :) Anyway,. he DOES like capsicum the way I cook it!!!

Totally with you on lollies. And I will always say crisps too (though I'd love a decent packet!!).

And can you tell me where I can buy Our Mate or My Mate or whatever they call it. Haven't seen it for ages tho I am sure I only bought it in Woolies or Coles. Was thinking earlier I deserve a medal for getting through exactly half a pregnancy so far (and counting) without marmite on toast.

And you are so right -yes trousers, although I quite like slippery dip. I can embrace most of the differences, in the kitchen and the playground, there are just a few golden ones I will not give up!!!!

Guest Mitchell

Trousers definitely. A friend once asked me, while wearing a skirt if it was warm out or should she put pants on. I sat there opened mouthed until I realized she didn't mean she was going commando!

The boys at work think it's hysterical that I say utility room instead of laundry as they think it sounds like where you keep your gas and electric.

I also had to explain what an airing cupboard was.

I was recently at the SA First Lego Competition and had to endure "laygo" all day.

Guest moonraker1959

Well I'm the other way around!I use all the aussie names(I live in the UK),slang words ect,and then have to explain myself!I actually miss aussie accents,and find them pretty relaxing to listen to!:cute:

Yes I definitely bought it in Coles. Might have been when we lived in Glandore. They don't have it in my one here. Need to keep looking!

Marmite's a condition of visiting me too! (CAn my mum post me a squeezy marmite in the post , does anyone know??????)

My friend had what looked like a giant industrial tub of marmite posted over from the UK (think it was 750g!!) so the squeezy tubes should be ok to post!!

My 5 year old came home saying yo-ghurt instead of Yoghurt which is fine, he needs to interact with his peers.

I draw the line at laygo though and the aussie (oops i've started doing it!) way of shortening as many words as possible.

information-info

kindergarten - kindy

Christmas = chrissy

Present = prezy

Registration = rego

costume - cossy

breakfast - brekky

and so on .................

whinge over got to get ankle biters brekky now, put my lippie on and get to kindy...:nah:

Guest the4hopes

We have just had a squeezy Marmite sent from UK yeahh.

I had been out with a friend, in the rain, when we got back to her house she said ' I'm just gonna change my pants because they are wet' What? Then I realised what she really meant!

Guest Mitchell
duvet or quilt, never doooooona!

I said duvet at work and got blank looks from my boys so said sorry I mean doona. Continued blank looks but they are geeky boys. Apparently they say quilt!

Guest Tterrier81

i still say garage not servo

cant stand the word 'manchester' for bed sheets n what not,

and evertime i say i fancy a brew, i get looked at like 'why would u want a beer at this time of day"

and hot chips just grinds my gears

The last one reminds me of something another English friend pointed out... saying to kids, when it's blindingly obvious it is nothing to do with luck (more like their parent has just given them something) How lucky are you?????

And totally overdone is.......Good Job!!!!!!!!

Guest Jo&Phil

Banned word: Youse ........... there is no need for a plural form of you and yet ... I keep hearing it. This one makes me cringe.:nah:

The vacumn cleaner is still the 'hoover' in this house, even though it isn't actually a hoover at all.

I've given in and say: thongs and capsicum and eggplant and zucchini or nobody knows what I'm talking about .............mind you, they still wonder sometimes!:err: