Anthem/flag change

Guest Guest5035

I must admit they did discuss it at length on Sunrise for Australia day, and it can be contentious.

I'm not bothered really and it should just be a referedum for what the population wants, from a day to day basis it'll make no difference in the long term for any of us.

When i worked in defence, a lot of the men there are ex military and they are extremely proud of the flag and would hate to see it change as it devalues what they have served for, and when you see people draped in the flag for Australia day everyone still loves it. I can though understand the want to get rid of the british flag in the corner, and the need to be recognised as a fully independant country.

On the other side of the coin, the flags that they had on Sunrise as an alternative were absolute rubbish.

As for then anthem, I really think it should be waltzing maltida anyway...

Guest Guest5035

i really like the last few lines of the song;

"We are one, but we are many And from all the lands on earth we come We share a dream and sing with one voice: I am, you are, we are Australian I am, you are, we are Australian. We are one .. We are many .. We are Australian!"

stevo

Guest guest569
I must admit they did discuss it at length on Sunrise for Australia day, and it can be contentious.

When i worked in defence, a lot of the men there are ex military and they are extremely proud of the flag and would hate to see it change as it devalues what they have served for, and when you see people draped in the flag for Australia day everyone still loves it. I can though understand the want to get rid of the british flag in the corner, and the need to be recognised as a fully independant country.

How ironic !! People are quick on Australia day to celebrate and show patriotism to Australia ,Celebrating the landing of the first ship of convicts from GREAT BRITAIN. This small piece of history they have and yet choose this day to spark a debate on removing the flag of GREAT BRITAIN from the flag of Australia .

Don't get me wrong. Change the anthem, get their own monarchy but don't brush Great britain under the carpet and pretend that this great country is the way it is without the help of Great Britain !!!!

All just my opinion by the way.:biglaugh:

Guest cornish Busdriver

In my opinion the current national anthem Austrailian Fair is a bit lame and boaring, i like I am Australian but might be a bit of a bugger to sing at the commonwealth games and stuff as it has male and female parts to be sung.

To me Walzing Matilda would be best as its one song that every Aussie knows and just about everyone else in the world as well.

As for the flag, I can see thing from both sides what people mean about changing it and from thoes who want to keep it as it is.

personally i would love to see the union jack replaced by the abbo flag but people shouldnt forget how this great country was founded.

I think Britain has lost its touch and hold on Australia and should let it go just like was done with Hong Kong.

When Britain was Great Britain it had a vast empire but today its lost the great part and is now just Britain and feels like to me just trying to hang on to what ever it can.

So personaly i cant see any point in the union jack being on the Australian flag anymore as Australia is made up from other countrys and not just britain.

Guest WhatNow?

I agree with your last comment Cornish. The area I live in (Athelstone/Rostrevor) is largely inhabited by 3rd generation Italian families who came over after the war and set up market gardens. If you live here you are very aware that you are in a minority and that the ex-Brits are largely irrelevant as a cultural force, and the same goes for many other of the older suburbs such as Croyden and Mile End (Greek). A trip to the Migration Museum gives you a different perspective on the cultural background of Adelaide and shows how it has been a haven for people from many parts of the world since the turn of the 20th century when southern Europeans were fleeing the genocide of the Ottoman Empire. A little humility would be in order since, although we Brits may to have started the colonisation of South Australia, apart from certain suburbs in the North and South, the cultural heritage of Adelaide is very much Southern European rather than British.

History lesson and rant over, I just get a bit peed off when Brits behave as if they own Australia...

Guest Guest75
I agree with your last comment Cornish. The area I live in (Athelstone/Rostrevor) is largely inhabited by 3rd generation Italian families who came over after the war and set up market gardens. If you live here you are very aware that you are in a minority and that the ex-Brits are largely irrelevant as a cultural force, and the same goes for many other of the older suburbs such as Croyden and Mile End (Greek). A trip to the Migration Museum gives you a different perspective on the cultural background of Adelaide and shows how it has been a haven for people from many parts of the world since the turn of the 20th century when southern Europeans were fleeing the genocide of the Ottoman Empire. A little humility would be in order since, although we Brits may to have started the colonisation of South Australia, apart from certain suburbs in the North and South, the cultural heritage of Adelaide is very much Southern European rather than British.

History lesson and rant over, I just get a bit peed off when Brits behave as if they own Australia...

:biglaugh:

Unseriously............... there is a huge amount of migrants here in the south from northern England.

I coined the phrase "New Yorkshire" in 2001 on a certain old newsgroup.

Can we have a white rose added to the flag please???:biglaugh:

Unseriously............... there is a huge amount of migrants here in the south from northern England.

LOL Yeh, all that time in England, they always hankered after living in the south instead, so when they come out here that's where they head!!!

<<<running for cover now!!

Change the Aussie flag to Green and Gold - after all, it's the colours all Aussies associate with being australian and nowhere to be seen on the flag at the moment!

As for the anthem, I reckon I Still Call Australia Home is a good contender.

Guest Guest75
LOL Yeh, all that time in England, they always hankered after living in the south instead, so when they come out here that's where they head!!!

:P:p:p

Can't help claiming the best bit can we???;)

Guest WhatNow?

Change the Aussie flag to Green and Gold - after all, it's the colours all Aussies associate with being australian and nowhere to be seen on the flag at the moment!

As for the anthem, I reckon I Still Call Australia Home is a good contender.

I'll bring that big spoon over next time I see you Diane! Completely agree about the flag and the Anthem though...

The Union Jack on the Australian flag only makes up a quarter of it. The five stars on the right represent the Southern Cross, a star constellation visible accross most of the southern hemisphere, which is used for navigation purposes and has been since people have sailed in this region. The larger star on the left represents the Commonwealth- it has seven points to represent the states and territories of Australia.

Plenty of people seem top think Australia should become a republic and leave the commonwealth. What they should remember is that after the recent flooding and cyclone damage in QLD 75% of the funding to sort it all out afterwards comes from the commonwealth. See there are advantages!

The Union flag should remain to remind people of where the majority of Australias current values and heritage come from. I dont think anyone thinks of Australia as being "part of Britain" any more- just ask anyone from the UK trying to get a visa!!!

I wear the Australian flag on my uniform for work and Im extremely proud to do so- and so are the other guys I work with who are all Australian.

If the flag is changed, it would dilute the patriotism and pride in the country that Australians from all different ethnic backgrounds have now.

It will end up like Britain is now, where people are afraid to show pride in their country.

On Anzac Day in Sydney last year I watched parades for over 9 hours with people from just about every country you can imagine all displaying how much they value being Australian- you dont see that in Britain. Migrants there mostly still view their birth country as being "home".

You should also remember that the flag must represent the whole of Australia, not just SA !

I like the Rising Sun emblem that some of the servicemen (all of them?) wear on their uniforms... so if they're changing it, that would get my vote. Also it's similar enough to the theme of the indigenous flag to keep everyone happy. Plus they already have the badges, so it'd be a money-saver!

images%3Fq%3Drising%2Bsun%2Bemblem%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26biw%3D1440%26bih%3D714%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=438&vpy=240&dur=1242&hovh=167&hovw=302&tx=192&ty=140&oei=wTRWTYaAEM6DcOLDhY4N&page=1&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0

Not sure I am with you now, cos never seen it... and I thought Japan was the land of the rising sun....!

But we have our own little anthem in this house - does anyone else have a song that really just typifies why you are here, what Australia means to you, and gets you every time?????????

It's so personal isn't it? I thought about sharing ours here but I know for a fact it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea... and therein lies the problem with a national anthem (and you don't envy those who'd have to come up with a new one, or a flag for that matter). Everyone has a view of Their Australia. Why we are here, what it means to us, what we've left behind and what we are hoping for. So to come up with something that is a common denominator for all who live here... hard work!

Anyway. Now I have a great idea for celebrating our own family's journey, got a brilliant project to work on and can't wait to start it ONCE WE FINALLY MOVE HOUSE NEXT WEEK. To do it now would be pure truancy. Plus I've already boxed up half the stuff I need.

Guest moonraker1959

This flag arguement has been going for so long now.I can remember people talking about it way back in the 1970's!!! Someone mentioned using "I am Australian"as the potential new anthem?Ok I can see that might be acceptable singing that if you are australian by birth or citizenship,but what about all the people who are'nt?Alot of immigrants are happy to live in Australia and stay true to their own culture/country,so they would feel false singing "I am Australian"would'nt they?

Well that's another version of my point really - it's so hard to get something that unifies everyone because everyone has a different reason and purpose for being here.

Although I suppose anyone not counting themselves as Australian, wouldn't really need an Australian national anthem, cos they'd already have their own.

The trouble with trying to be too politically correct about things is it just ends up tying people up in knots and sometimes it's better to lay something down on the line, doing one's best, all things considered. That goes for governments as well as individuals. Just been having a conversation with my mum about PC-ness (which I think the UK is way overboard, but not saying Australia has it right cos some stuff you see on TV makes me a bit :o wow can they really say that????).