Cat problem

Guest Guest5035

Guest Guest5035

I have a dilemna and need some advice re a semi feral cat where i work. I have befriended a male ginger cat over the past 3 or so months by talking to him and feeding him, i've seen his brother and sister get caught by the pest control and be put to sleep by the Animal welfare league as they were wild.

But "Visy"as thats the name i gave him, is a smart cat, he would lay next to the cage and not go in, so they gave up on catching him. He is now friendly with the guys that go outside for their meal breaks, so much so he's always rubbing himself against legs and i can even stroke him all over, really lovely cat.

I cannot take him in, as much as i want to, as my cat would eat Visy, so i'm asking what would you do. If i take him to the AWL or RSPCA they will assess and after 3 days put to sleep or up for adoption, i'm scared that he will not make it for adoption, it would break my heart, ( big softie on animals). He will need to be checked for cat flu etc etc etc and have his you know whats chopped off, any ideas??

I know he's survived all this time i guess he's around 8/10 months old, but in a week or two we stop working 24/7 and no ones there at the weekends.

Stevo

Guest shed end col

Steve, I'd take him home and slowly introduce him to your cat, if no go hope somone on here would give him a home. We took an abandoned kitten in, now she's part of the family. Good luck Col.

Yeh take him in Stevo - it's exponential fun watching two cats play together! Just introduce him slowly to your other cat, and keep them separate initially. They'll grow to either get on or tolerate each other. Duke hates other cats, but puts up with all sorts of mischief from Harry!

I have a soft spot for ginger cats. I'd take him home and see if he won't settle in. Semi wild usually means he might never be a lap cat but he will probably settle where he is fed and cared for. We took in all kinds of waifs and strays when I was growing up and we had a fair few semi wild cats move in (or live outside in the sheds/barns) and be quite happy.

I would take him home also. I have two cats at home that don't get on. They really don't and at first we would get really stressed if somehow one ended up near each other and they ended up having a hissy fit. Some fur flying and a lot of noise but we have now gotten used to it and while they will never be friends they know that they are not allowed to carry on.....well not in front of us anyway.. They've been "together" for 8 years now. This little fellow sounds really smart, he's earned a good home I reckon.

My mother in-law had a cat and a dog at home and ended up taking in a semi feral cat too, but he wanted to be outside all the time, so she made up a bed undercover complete with food and water and he came and went when he pleased = a happy cat!

If 'Visy' was handed in he would probably be put down like you said :arghh:

Give him a chance, then you can always say to yourself you tried, then you can go from there.

Best of luck

From Lisa (Mrs Damien Wood)

We took a feral cat in just before we left to come to oz.She was that feral she had six toes on each foot!we called her Tootsie!We made a decision that we wouldn't put her through the journey after what she had been through already.We are still in contact with the poeple who took her in and they say she is just the best cat ever!That could be your Visy soon.x

You're such a big softie Stevo!!!

Total respect for you.

I'm more into dogs than cats...but if it were me....I'd take him home.

You will always regret it if you don't.

There isn't much alternative.