Introducing my mate Dolf

Guest Damien

Guest Damien

Over 5 days last week I have been launching a cool boat with twin 115hp outboards down at Port MacDonnell for an op. Every time we started the engines a dolphin has literally tried to eat the props. He ignored every other boat. We even started to gain a crowd of dolphin watchers as he was so consistent. Not good when you are trying not to be noticed :policeman:;) We put it down to the twin engines.

Anyway, I took my tub out today, only 70hp. Only motored about 100m before Dolf found me! He followed me out which was cool.........but...........I was only fishing in 2-3m of water and EVERY bloody time I dropped anchor he went head down, arse in the air and lifted my anchor with his mouth. It got so bad I gave up coz he either stopped me anchoring or scared all the fish away!

No fish for tea tonight :arghh: I've got some pics on my mobile, will try to get them on when I get a mo

Guest rachinadelaide

Hi Damien, I sent the link to your post to a friend of mine, Dr Mike Bossley, who has been studying the Port River dolphins for 20 plus years and he was very interested in the behaviour you described and he would be really keen to have contact with you and find out more.

He has asked me to pass on his email address if you are OK with contacting him about this.

I will PM it to you if you are happy to make contact?

Thanks, Rach

Guest Damien

Hi Rach,

Yeah no probs with that. Apparently this dolphin is a bit cheeky and does this to other boats, sometimes towing them about (well, according to the local tackle shop). He's certainly not shy! Although he did ignore the other fisherman out there, maybe he likes my accent. When I was working out of Port Mac 2 weeks ago he literally followed our trailer up the concrete one day, nearly beaching himself the dope. Strange thing is he seems to ignore the commercial fishermen in their smaller tenders.

Damo