Questions for some gardeners please

Diane

What's the best time of year here to plant a peach tree? Presumably as they're in the greengrocers at the moment it's not now, but I have a vague feeling if I was in England it would be Autumn time, so is the time coming up soon?

Also has anybody seen raspberry canes for sale? And same question re planting those!

I'm not a particularly good gardener - you can probably tell!!

D

Guest Guest75

You can plant them now as the soil will be nice and wet and keep so for a while.

Your tree might not seem to do anything until spring though.

Not sure when Raspberry canes are on the market.

The only supplier I know of is down south here.

Welcome to Perrys Fruit & Nut Nursery

Diggers club have Raspberry canes on sale online............

https://secure.diggersgardenclub.com.au/c-91-raspberries.aspx

Oh - look .a raspberry..........:P:p

Guest Guest5035

The only thing with a stone fruit tree will be the birds, especially the parrots eating the fruit, you will find you'll have to cover the tree with a net.

Stevo

Guest Guest75

Just noticed that the Raspberry canes are not available on that site at the moment,may not be the right planting time??

Thinking about planting any bare rooted tree or shrub ? I'd be doing it in very early spring.

:cute:

Or plant two trees and let the birds have the top bits. We have fig trees and we get the Australian Rosella's visiting often - I think that is what they are - they are colourful little birds to say the least. They get the top bits and we get the lower bits. There is plenty for all and it really is just delightful to watch their antics in the morning. Our trees have about a dozen or more on them most morning and they are just larrikins...really cute.....also nearly forgot to say that we only had one tree to start with and the other two were "gifts" from the birds....so they have earned the fruit.....they are probably really sharing it with us actually! The other two trees are a different variety so quite nice.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

diane, i've just remembered you have a cat or two, rehouse them in the new trees, that'll keep the birds away!!

3 of 4 Stevo

Actually we have two cats.....they are fat.......I always wondered why..:idea:.....nah, actually they are scared of them because they make too much noise....better go back to the veil idea I reckon

Or just stuff yourself full of straw and stand in the yard looking dumb.

3 of 4 stevo

Hey, I reckon I can manage that, no worries! Have to say Stevo you should start a phone in gardening advice programme - I am still following your rose-pruning tips from about a year ago :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Guest Guest5035

What the "F", OMG and they are still alive ???????????????? LOL ....Thanks Diane. I do enjoy gardening, more so years ago, but now just a courtyard block 565sq metres. was it you i gave advice to about regrassing?? I now have mostly natives and geraniums, climbers and pots, looks a treat in the spring, even if i say so myself. Takes me 20 minutes a week to tend, but if the OH nags, i'm in there longer!!

Stevo

Guest moonraker1959

Diane,I planted fruit trees(when I lived in SA)in springtime,but I do believe you might be able to plant them in autumn.Also the raspberry canes.Over here,we also plant mainly in spring.You can either buy summer fruiting or autumn.When you buy your tree ask if its self pollinating.If its not,then it might pay to look around your neighbourhood first because you'll need other fruit tree's to cross pollinate.My twin who lives not far from you planted two fruit tree's years ago,a plum and apple,and has just cut them down to lack of fruiting over the years.Its such a joy to pick your own produce from your own back yard!

Guest Guest75
I knew a scarecrow once....................he was outstanding in his field of work....!!!!!!

HG

We had one trolling in here with more than one identity once :biglaugh:

Guest Guest5035
They've never looked better (well, they need doing again now, but when they were pruned even one of my very garden-proud neighbours complimented me on them!)

awesome...........you've made my day

stevo:D:D