I've got itchy feet...again!

Riponian

In October we were considering moving to Brisbane that feeling has gone but I have this feeling that I won't be in Adelaide forever and can't seem to shake that feeling as much as I love it here! Not even sure we could afford to live anywhere else!!!

It's not homesickness as I would never return to UK (I don't think so) so whats my problem!! All I know is that long term as the kids get older don't want them to be the snub of the rest of Australia. Every other major city has better reputation even tough this is one of the most desirable cities to live in!

Am I just one of those people who is never happy? Is the grass greener? :skeptical:

The people here are very friendly and easy to get along with but some are very ignorant and backward.

I want the best for us as a whole family long term and not sure I have found that yet!

Can't believe I am even considering moving again, seems to come round every six months or so. Is it just because I have not visited these places to see how different and busy they would be!

My husband is already at the top of his field here in Adelaide and he is not finding it challenging in the way he would have liked. He should be in Melbourne, Sydney or even Perth.

I am sure once I have had a sleep everything will be alright in the morning! but how long before this nagging feeling returns?!?!

Don't want to upset anyone or start a debate about the neg or pos about where you live... just need to to write it out and clear my head!

Thanks for reading...

I too get this feeling sometimes..... And I love living here too.... But never said will be here forever!! I also am not sure why this feeling comes.... Sometimes i think it's because all you hear is about how the other states are all having new things done, built, hosting and SA takes 2 years to decided whether of not to upgrade an oval!!!!

I have made many friends here that I couldn't place and is another reason why i wouldnt want to leave!

Maybe it's because you move all this way and only live in a small corner of a massive country with so much more to the see..... That's my reason anyway I think!!!

Guest needtogonow

Totally understand where you are coming from, Michelle.

I also would not consider moving back to the UK but I also have itchy feet after 1 year of being here.

There are so many fantastic places/countries to discover and we also feel that Adelaide will not be our last stop even though we have opened our "dream business" and are loving it.

Also agree with your other comments ref some of the people here.

I love Adelaide and don't regret the move over BUT who knows....................

Bex

Guest MADTOM
In October we were considering moving to Brisbane that feeling has gone but I have this feeling that I won't be in Adelaide forever and can't seem to shake that feeling as much as I love it here! Not even sure we could afford to live anywhere else!!!

It's not homesickness as I would never return to UK (I don't think so) so whats my problem!! All I know is that long term as the kids get older don't want them to be the snub of the rest of Australia. Every other major city has better reputation even tough this is one of the most desirable cities to live in!

Am I just one of those people who is never happy? Is the grass greener? :skeptical:

The people here are very friendly and easy to get along with but some are very ignorant and backward.

I want the best for us as a whole family long term and not sure I have found that yet!

Can't believe I am even considering moving again, seems to come round every six months or so. Is it just because I have not visited these places to see how different and busy they would be!

My husband is already at the top of his field here in Adelaide and he is not finding it challenging in the way he would have liked. He should be in Melbourne, Sydney or even Perth.

I am sure once I have had a sleep everything will be alright in the morning! but how long before this nagging feeling returns?!?!

Don't want to upset anyone or start a debate about the neg or pos about where you live... just need to to write it out and clear my head!

Thanks for reading...

This describes us exactly lol :notworthy:

Oh have had job offer in Perth & Melbourne. (Never been) I do like Adelelaide but feel we need to go elsewhere for variety, more to do, vibrancy etc then I feel maybe not what if when/if we get there (we have decided on Melbourne) and it's not right! I think we chose an isolated part of Adelaide where if you don't drive it's very difficult. My OH has limited job prospects in SA and feel there is more challenging and better paid posts elewhere and the kids may be better in Melbourne as they get older. I think maybe as far as I am concerned the grass is always greener. :goofy:

This describes us exactly lol :notworthy:

Oh have had job offer in Perth & Melbourne. (Never been) I do like Adelelaide but feel we need to go elsewhere for variety, more to do, vibrancy etc then I feel maybe not what if when/if we get there (we have decided on Melbourne) and it's not right! I think we chose an isolated part of Adelaide where if you don't drive it's very difficult. My OH has limited job prospects in SA and feel there is more challenging and better paid posts elewhere and the kids may be better in Melbourne as they get older. I think maybe as far as I am concerned the grass is always greener. :goofy:

So your actually going after only being here a short time?

Thought I was the only mad on considering it. I know others who have moved on juts not sure I am brave enough if you know what I mean. It took everything to get me out here but at the same time don't want to waste time knowing it could be better (or not)... :skeptical::confused:

What is your OH does and where about's would you go? Looks expensive....

Guest MADTOM
So your actually going after only being here a short time?

Thought I was the only mad on considering it. I know others who have moved on juts not sure I am brave enough if you know what I mean. It took everything to get me out here but at the same time don't want to waste time knowing it could be better (or not)... :skeptical::confused:

What is your OH does and where about's would you go? Looks expensive....

Have sent PM

I've been here for 3 yrs and feel like that as well - although I doubt we will ever move as:

1) Hubs is an Adelaide boy and loves it here

2) Cost of living is good here

3) Our only other options aside from other places in Oz are NZ and the US, and neither of us want to go there

I kind of wonder if it's just part of the feeling of being 'settled down' ??

I've been here for 3 yrs and feel like that as well - although I doubt we will ever move as:

1) Hubs is an Adelaide boy and loves it here

2) Cost of living is good here

3) Our only other options aside from other places in Oz are NZ and the US, and neither of us want to go there

I kind of wonder if it's just part of the feeling of being 'settled down' ??

Yeah maybe your right that I am just not completely settled yet. We have not brought our own house yet and I am in a limbo with my photography business just getting going. Just need to give it time...maybe!

It's so nice to know I am not the only one in a similar dilemma and has these stupid thoughts lol.

Anyway the sun is shinning and the future is bright no matter what it holds. Will be definitely spending some time visiting places around the county and who knows where the journey will take me.

Thanks again everyone what a difference a day makes :jiggy:

Guest rachinadelaide

I have itchy-feet-itus too! We are thinking about renting out our house and buying a caravan/RV and spending a couple of years travelling around Australia picking up temp jobs as we go and holidaying when we can afford to.

We were planning to sail around Aus but having started learning to sail we now know we need to get lots and lots more practise before that becomes a reality!!

Think you also have to take into consideration that you spend all this time planning for the BIG move overseas, and then once you start to get settled into life here...it's just life, with the same mundane tasks etc as anywhere else. Your excitement fix fades...who wouldn't get itchy feet;)

I think it is also that once you get here you realise that all places in Australia are not the same and each state/city has their own unique characteristics and so you want to explore those differences. Also I think for some people they chose a place to settle based on the information available but when they got there the situation was very different e.g. lack of jobs, lifestyle doesnt suit their family and then they look at other places where those opportunities may be offered.

Guest Guest75

You are not on your own.

Even a long time member of the SA fan club has the itch now and again.

We are watching "Love thy Neighbour" - the series filmed in Grassington ( downloaded legally from UK Nova).

I miss places like that.......... Wish we could have a a place somewhere like that for the UK summer and then back here to Tyke Towers for "Our" summer:cute:

Just too far away though.

It's Autumn ,cooler nights ,darker earlier - it does naught to help your mood. Traditionally more people move back to the UK in the coming months (more trolling and arguments on forums as well)

It's natural to wonder "What if?"

At least you are having a good think about it and not rushing into anything. Probably just make you appreciate SA more:cute:

Guest WhatNow?

What you are saying is about as daft as saying that if you were not from the Uk and moved to the UK you should stay put in the first place you arrived - in other words not daft at all!

Just think - if you migrated to say, Edinburgh or Exeter (just picked those out of thin air) from outside the UK would you think it was mad to want to see what it would be like living in Ipswich or Welshpool? Of course not...don't beat yourself up about it...

I have rellies who came here to Adelaide and are now in Melbourne and about to move to Sydney, and others on the Gold Coast and thinking of coming back here. If you don't try it, how will you ever know? Who said you had to stay here forever?

You are right, however, about the cost of living elsewhere, both sets of rellies are finding it hard to buy or rent decent property after living in fairly inexpensive Adelaide, and that they have to live a way out of the cities to be able to afford a decent home so they don't get into the cities much to benefit from being in bigger, less conservative places than Adelaide.

What you are saying is about as daft as saying that if you were not from the Uk and moved to the UK you should stay put in the first place you arrived - in other words not daft at all!

Just think - if you migrated to say, Edinburgh or Exeter (just picked those out of thin air) from outside the UK would you think it was mad to want to see what it would be like living in Ipswich or Welshpool? Of course not...don't beat yourself up about it...

I have rellies who came here to Adelaide and are now in Melbourne and about to move to Sydney, and others on the Gold Coast and thinking of coming back here. If you don't try it, how will you ever know? Who said you had to stay here forever?

You are right, however, about the cost of living elsewhere, both sets of rellies are finding it hard to buy or rent decent property after living in fairly inexpensive Adelaide, and that they have to live a way out of the cities to be able to afford a decent home so they don't get into the cities much to benefit from being in bigger, less conservative places than Adelaide.

Thank you :-)

Guest Hangaroundgirl

Hi, I think you have to give a place two years. I've not stayed put anywhere longer than 6 years for the last 27 - but that's because we have to keep moving with the jobs (NZ, US, Oz etc). So I've felt like you lots of times (still do) but know you have to give it a bit of time. I'd have another beer ...

Hi,

We have just got back from a trip to Brisbane,and were very impressed with the place.The vibrancy and beauty of the City and surrounding area were a sight to behold.Work is going on all over,building new roads and repairing damage from the recent floods.It struck me as being a City that will always strive to better itself,and be a forerunner as one of the worlds Major Cities.Modern,clean and up to date.If one travels around Australia,then it is only natural they may become enamored with other Towns or Cities.After one big move though,it takes a lot of courage to up sticks again,given how hard it is to settle the first time.Not a decision for the faint hearted.Best luck.:D

Guest moonraker1959

My parents friends emigrated to Adelaide around the same time we did,in 1970.They stayed in Adelaide for 15 years,returned to Manchester,stayed there for a year,returned to Adelaide,went back again to Manchester for 3 years,returned to SA(Mannum)stayed there for 6 mths and then headed for Brisbane!:biglaugh:As far as I know they stayed!lol For most of us,if we lived in the "now"time instead of either living in the past or future we'd all be alot happier!Easier said than done though!

QUOTE]

Could your husband not look for a better job in another city, and let his career decide where you move to next?

I used to work in IT before I had kids, and when we lived here back in the 90's I used to moan because there were always much better jobs interstate, and it was only because my husband is a local lad that we were in Adelaide. We were considering moving, but went back to the UK instead.

I honestly don't know where I would chose to live if it wasn't for the ties of family and friends here. I spent a month in Sydney and didn't take to it at all, loved Melbourne but I'm not sure about living there because it's so big, thought Perth was very isolated and have only ever travelled through Brisbane, Canberra and Darwin. I love Queensland for a holiday but don't think I could cope with the rain, humidity and wildlife all the time. So I always conclude Adelaide isn't too bad after all!

Guest PhilC

Could your husband not look for a better job in another city, and let his career decide where you move to next?

Yeah I could, very nearly went to Brisbane back in October, had a few chats with recruitment agents, had potential interviews lined up.

But then I look at the kids and look how happy they are settled in SA and I remember the main reason we moved over here in the first place. We've moved a lot over the last 2-3 years and I don't want to move any more, we've got a good network and social life and have basically achieved all the goals we set out to achieve when we came over.

I've put a few other things in place to stimulate my career here in Adelaide, joined a professional community and networking more with my peers. It's not perfect and I'm missing the calibre of people I used to work with in the UK, but it something I can cope with for now.

Phil

I would be suprised if everyone doesn't have this feeling. The country is to big not to want to know what it's like to live somewhere else.

My partner is from Coffs Harbour, and we both talk sometimes about where else we'd like to live. During this cooler summer we're wondered what perth would be like with it's record heatwave, when the sports events are on in Melbourne i could quite easily live there, and Sydney is a great place to be where people are a little more cosmopolitan, and when the time comes i could quite easily retire to Far North Queensland.

Likewise though everywhere has it's down side, Perth is isolated, Melbourne is even cooler than Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane have more rain than almost anywhere in the UK.

I'm never going to say never to living somewhere else, but I'm certainly in no rush.