Is this a Huntsman?

Guest westie1972

Guest westie1972

We had a visitor to my sons bedroom last night and wondered if it was a Huntsman?

I nearly died when I saw it, I think it was shock more than anything!

I don't know how it got in as I never have the windows open!

spider 020.jpg

Guest westie1972
get the mortein out............. aaaaaaaaaargh!

My husband sprayed loads on it, thought it was dead. Went back in the room and it climbing back up the wall! He popped it in a glass then squished it.

Guest westie1972
Yep, cute aren't they? :D

Luckily my 2 girls didn't see it or they would have freaked out, I was shocked to see one in the house. My neighbour said that once you have seen one that it will rain 3 days later, don't know if this right but will see if it does!

Guest Ellie

Yes it is! :shocked: We have had a few. They can get quite flat so do manage to get in. You can tell a huntsman as their front legs are longer than the back and they are a greyish brown colour. They apparently don't bite and I know people that will pick them up and throw them out. However, I have also heard they may bite, but they are not a dangerous spider unlike the white tip or red back. You can use sprays which I have sprayed all around my doors and and windows etc that last 6 months indoors and 3 months outdoors or you can get people in and go out for the day while the house is treated. In fact when we started getting white tips/tails I sprayed everywhere!!!

You didn't want to keep him as a pet then? :biglaugh:

We had a visitor to my sons bedroom last night and wondered if it was a Huntsman?

I nearly died when I saw it, I think it was shock more than anything!

I don't know how it got in as I never have the windows open!

Have to say that I am a huge fan of the good ole huntsman...they tend to feast on the nastier critters like red backs or white tips (who are often found in our place). And they do no harm, just cos their big doesn't mean their nasty. But then I am a spider fan - OH used to keep tarantulas, hissing cockroaches etc so I've learned to love creepy crawlies. Currently have two huntsman living in our place, one huge and one small (the apprentice) and a very persistent wolf spider named Harry who loves nothing more than hiding out in my 4 year old's bedroom :err: My kids are pretty amazing when it comes to spiders.

Guest Ellie
Have to say that I am a huge fan of the good ole huntsman...they tend to feast on the nastier critters like red backs or white tips (who are often found in our place). And they do no harm, just cos their big doesn't mean their nasty. But then I am a spider fan - OH used to keep tarantulas, hissing cockroaches etc so I've learned to love creepy crawlies. Currently have two huntsman living in our place, one huge and one small (the apprentice) and a very persistent wolf spider named Harry who loves nothing more than hiding out in my 4 year old's bedroom :err: My kids are pretty amazing when it comes to spiders.

EEEWWWW isn't the wolf spider the one that carries all it's babies on it's back? I'm not a spider person myself. :nah:

As MinkyMe says, the huntsman is a 'good' spider, and if you don't like it inside to eat the baddies, then try taking it outside. If it's on a wall, you can use the head of a broom to get it without getting too close, or, if it's on a floor, put an icecream container face down over it, then slide a piece of cardboard underneath, and you can take it outside that way. They do come inside occasionally, but not really that often. Spraying doesn't seem to work, except really slowly, which is cruel. I wouldn't be able to squish one myself - they're too big for that! Yuk! I've never been harmed yet by a huntsman after a lifetime in Australia.

Guest westie1972
As MinkyMe says, the huntsman is a 'good' spider, and if you don't like it inside to eat the baddies, then try taking it outside. If it's on a wall, you can use the head of a broom to get it without getting too close, or, if it's on a floor, put an icecream container face down over it, then slide a piece of cardboard underneath, and you can take it outside that way. They do come inside occasionally, but not really that often. Spraying doesn't seem to work, except really slowly, which is cruel. I wouldn't be able to squish one myself - they're too big for that! Yuk! I've never been harmed yet by a huntsman after a lifetime in Australia.

We wouldn't usually be so cruel but we were taken a back, in future we will pop them outside. In England I used to put a pint glass over them then side a piece of cardboard under and put them outside. I think the size of it shocked me more than anything. We didn't know what it was until we researched it on the internet.

Guest guest3462

We had a 7 legged huntsman in our garage for ages. We named him Maurice as he looked like he was dancing when he walked due to his missing leg!! After getting over the shock of how big he was (I was terrified of spiders in the UK) he was welcomed into the family on the understanding that he lived only in the garage. If he crossed the threshold then woe betide him lol! He did a grand job of keeping all the red backs and white tips away. Then poor Maurice went outside and got snaffled by a big bird :-(

Guest Ellie

It is cruel I suppose to a friendly spider but we have white tips a lot and they love wandering in my daughters bedroom, probably because she is so untidy :realmad:. I must say I am usually rather relieved when the spray has worked and I find them dead behind her door.

Ahh, Ellie, I agree! White tips are a different matter altogether. Have no hesitation in using the spray on them, or even squishing them. They're a pretty nasty spider and you don't want to get bitten by them. When I was referring to being cruel, I only meant the huntsman, as it is so big and spray takes so long to work on them. Also, because they eat the nasties so don't really do any harm - except scare you out of your wits if you come across one when you're not expecting it! They seem to be watching your every move, LOL.

Guest Team 'W'

Must admit i didnt do spiders myself in the uk ,but when i looked at the ones over here my fear was even greater...

But you do get used to them ,[didnt think i would ever say that]

I had a huntsman drop of the roof the other wk right on top of my head whilst doing the windows ,to say i freaked was an understatement, screamin round the garden like a banshee ...i shook my head and felt it leap of onto the ground ,dont know who was more freaked ,me or it ...lol but would not harm the hunty he's the goody ...

The wolf spider does carry its babes on her back and can get to a super size [found one in my customers last wk [would not like a bite of one of those buggers ,she was HUGE...thrashing her legs and throwing out her fangs cos we sprayed her,but she was carrying a sack of her abdomen [prob eggs ] i dont know ???

Then the white tip ,these get eaten by the daddy longlegged spiders and its where the white tip gets its venom [APPARENTLY]?? which makes this spider horribly frightening ...and like nests of clothes on the floor to hide in ,then you pick them up to put in the wash and heyho bite ..

then there is the black house spider anuther nasty ,the mortien found ours before we did and killed it ,so yes it pays to be vigilante around the home and if in doubt get the mortien out and bomb the place leave all cupboard and wardrobe doors open before you set them of and leave the house for a couple of hours ....GOOD STUFF !

ELAINE

Pretty sure you could make a very profitable business out of this love of spiders! Spider Phobia classes........ am sure many would sign up!

Have to say though... we hardly see any spiders where we live.... or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places!!! eek

OK, the daddylonglegs myth rears it's ugly head again. So the rumour goes that the daddylonglegs have the most potent venom of any animal but their fangs are too small to bite humans. This is in fact complete b*ll*cks. So by extension, the whitetip getting it's venom from eating the daddylonglegs is also an urban myth.

The whitetip venom itself isn't actually all that bad, it's infection that makes the bites swell up and ulcer like those awful pictures we've all seen on google. Regardless, they do bite, and their bites are prone to infection, so best avoided, and yes they do hide in clothes.

OK, the daddylonglegs myth rears it's ugly head again. So the rumour goes that the daddylonglegs have the most potent venom of any animal but their fangs are too small to bite humans. This is in fact complete b*ll*cks. So by extension, the whitetip getting it's venom from eating the daddylonglegs is also an urban myth.

Well, I don't think it's a myth either, as reactions to white tip bites vary a great deal, and that would seem to point to the fact that it's not the white tip's venom on its own that causes the reaction but other venom that may or may not be present - depending on whether the white tip has cleaned its teeth or not!

And it is true that daddylonglegs couldn't bite through a human's skin - poor things can barely keep their own legs on, they're so flimsy!

Urban myth or not, till I see proof that it's not true, I'll keep believing it, coz it seems to make a lot more logical sense than any other explanation!

get the mortein out............. aaaaaaaaaargh!

No, leave him alone - he'll get rid of other more dangerous nasties.

We had a large spider in the UK for years - Boris. He used to appear from behind the sideboard every night at 8.00pm walk accross the wall to the other side of the room and disappear behind the skirting board. We'll miss him!

Guest helene73
Okay best way to get rid of unwanted creepy crawlies.....

ZAP EM WITH THE OLE DYSON!!!!!

Works a treat for me... he he he he

Prema x

Have you thought of putting blender blades in the dyson? Lol I hate spiders, do you get a lot in your house? I saw a massive one in Perth outside our hotel room and had towels stuffed under the door not that that would have helped if that thing had wanted to get in it would have kicked the door down! That was a very sleepless night :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk