covered in bites

Guest MADTOM

Guest MADTOM

Hi help...

I keep getting bitten got lumps and bumps all over my arm and legs (and they bloody itch like mad) - the strange thing is I never see or feel what has bitten me!

I would surely see and feel a mossy or those ants wouldn't I? Am I going mad??

:shocked:

Guest helene73
Hi help...

I keep getting bitten got lumps and bumps all over my arm and legs (and they bloody itch like mad) - the strange thing is I never see or feel what has bitten me!

That dose not sound good, hope you find out what is feeding on you :) x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had that happen a few years ago and it was because we had gone on holiday and it was from sand mites. I couldn't see them at all - and it was horrible it really burned on my skin. The only relief was when I went to a GP and they gave me antihistamines and some cream. If you are living near west lakes there may be something from there.

Be careful of mozzies this time of year, they are out in full force because of the rains and they can cause you to get quite ill. (I saw that on tele, apparently a few people have gotten quite ill).

Try spraying with off or replellant. They sound like mozzie bites and you may need a anti histamine tablet or cream from the chemist.

I recently tried some repelant wrist bands, they really worked.

The man who sells them is on eBay and lives in Adelaide.

They are effective and cheap look like a rubber wrist band with a small compartment full of repelant

Try them

Guest Mitchell

Everything eats me and I'm allergic to most bites. I've bombed the house, have sprayed surface spray under my desk at work and covered myself in jungle strength repellant after a shower before I got dressed. I take higher dose antihistamine and use a steroid cream or one called soov which has local anesthetic in on the bites. I've found the longer I've been here the less I've been bitten. No idea why. I rarely have to spray myself now just when I know the mossies will be out. Do keep an eye on your bites though. I got bitten by something on my big toe and it rubbed all day when I moved house. Ended up at the Drs the next day as my toe swelled up and went purple. Was on antibiotics for 2 weeks!

Guest Ric & Paula

Happened to me yesterday on school run hon,14 on my upper back AND I had repellant and sun cream on.Like you, didn't feel anything biting,just the burn and itch,antihistamine sorted it out,unsure if it was a heat rash or bites...

Guest karyn

I never feel it when Mozzies bite me, and the bites don't usually come up until the following day.

I put paw paw ointment (I use Lucas) over them and it stops the air getting to them which is what causes the reaction and the itch!

Obviously prevention is better then cure, so try using a repellant and cover up when you can (although when I do this, they still find somewhere).

Anti histamine will stop the itch too and you can buy this over the counter.

If they start to change colour though, you should probably contact your doctor. I had a friend who has really bad allergies and her bites went infected and she needed antibiotics!

Hopefully some of the advice you get on here will help!?

Karyn x

Hi help...

I guess it could be a few things, but it could certainly be mosquitos. They love me and they often dine on me when I'm in bed. If it is, don’t scratch them but wash them with soap and water. Some people put the ointments on, I did at first, but it just seems easier to ignore them. Try some plug in repellents with the little tablets - I use them occasionally if I have been bitten so that I don't get bite after bite.

If in doubt, always go to the pharmacist or doctor.

Remember - don't scratch:arghh:

Cooler

Guest MADTOM

Thanks for all the replies some good advice. I will use antihistamines and get some decent repellent. I use repellent but it doesn't seem to repel anything lol.

OH suggests it may be mites that live on birds or rats (we had a wild bird fly in the house the other day) I think I prefer the mossy idea! - yuck

Guest MADTOM

Oh no no - don't say that please! I looked it up:

Bird mites", "Tropical fowl mites" or "Starling Mites" are the common names used to describe the mite Ornithonyssus bursa from the family of mites Macronyssidae. These mites are often incorrectly called 'bird lice', particularly within the pest control industry. Bird mites are most active during Spring and early Summer.

Ornithonyssus bursa is a small but extremely mobile mite, barely visible to the eye, with eight legs (except the larva that has 6), oval in shape and with a sparse covering of short hairs. The mite is widely distributed throughout warmer regions of the world. It is a parasite, feeding on the blood of common birds including pigeons, starlings, sparrows, Indian mynahs, poultry, and some wild birds. Bird mites are semi-transparent in colour, which makes them difficult to detect on skin until blood is ingested and then digested; when they may appear reddish to blackish.

As a result of their 'test biting' while searching for a new bird host, the mites inject saliva. This can lead to severe irritation with rashes and intense itching. Scratching of the bites may result in secondary infections. Bird mites are not associated with the transmission of any infectious disease. The bites are often difficult to diagnose and can be mistaken for bites from a number of other arthropods.

Anyway I think it's mossys .............I bloody hope so I will get some mortein bombs tomorrow!

Ah, so its not just me............

Got 15 bites on 1 foot, didnt feel a thing till the next morning and my leg looked like a balloon!!

A medic told me i might have "skeeter syndrome"; sadly its not severe enough to get a week off work!!

Try tonic water, the full fat stuff, not diet! Kept the blighters at bay for me.

Also take the anti-histamine for a week, double the dose in severe reactions.

Ice works well to stop the itching.

Have heard the Skin so soft from Avon is very good at keeping mozzys at arms length.

Hope you feel better soon

Jane

If you have any, which i doubt you have try TCP. English brand, so you might have brought some over but is the best for bites :)

Hope this helps

James

Guest Ellie
Hi help...

sure to be mozzies! I get biten frequently despite spray repellents. They bite and you never know for a couple of hours. Mine swell and go a yellowy yuk. Soov is good once it starts to itch but the best I have found is just put tea tree oil on them. Helps if you react too as it's an anticeptic. A friend has recently told me to get Avon So Soft moisturiser as they hate it. I'm yet to try it!

Guest WhatNow?

I get the impression that this recent bout of warm weather has caused a lot more mozzies to hatch out than there have been for a while. I've been bitten for the first time in weeks and one mozzie got me five times on one arm before I splatted it. I don't know if I should be passing this potentially dangerous tip on but a district nurse and a local have both told me the same thing which does seem to work. A very hot teabag held on the bite for as long as is comfortable seems to work a treat. Use it as soon after you notice the bite as possible and repeat if the bite starts to itch again. I have used it and after a single application the bites stopped itching for 24 hours and some of them never itched again. I'm not sure if it is the heat or the tea but it seems to work. Please be careful not to scald yourself, though!

Guest lastboyscout

I`m sure I`ve mentioned this before but don`t go buying expensive mozzie repellents use this easy and cheap home made solution........ get yourself a cheap spray bottle half fill with dettol and top up with baby oil,give it a good shake, and apply liberally ,its a bushman remedy called `F**k off` works a treat but you smell like an old folks home ;)

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Ryan T. Lion

Try tonic water, the full fat stuff, not diet! Kept the blighters at bay for me.

Jane

I'm itching just reading this... but yes - I have also heard about tonic water - it's the Quinine in it - same thing that eases cramps when you're pregnant etc.

It was drank in India in "tonic water" which the old Brits didn't like the taste of.... so they put Gin in it to take the edge off, hence G&T.

It was used to treat malaria, that's why its associated with mozzies....... dunno if it repels 'em though.... But whatever works, works! ;)