Weather here there

Guest Guest5035

Guest Adelaide_bound

Yesterday was a lovely day, but certainly not bikini weather up here in the W midlands - a nasty nip to the wind, which made it fabulous for some gardening (getting the blood pumping and all), but not for lolling around. Today it feels FREEZEING - back to grey skies, grey-ness all round and nasty British weather. :sad:

Guest moonraker1959

Funny how you aclimatize to the weather is'nt it?When I lived in Adelaide I used to think 22c was crap.I had experienced temps of up to 47c!:biglaugh:Now when its 22c(UK)it actually feels warm!Incredible!I have caught the sun a few times in the last 2 weeks and its so nice to sit out in.Sat outside today actually with a glass of wine,sunnies on,and very relaxing.I think having lived in SA for a long time,it makes you more sun aware.Since living over here,when we travel oversea's,we still slip slop slap and sit in the shade!

Sun/shade is the main issue.

22 deg + sun = warm

22 deg + shade = cool

In the UK, you seek out the sun, so you associate that warm sun temperature with the number 22 deg, even though the temperature you're experiencing is higher than that.

In Australia you're in the shade if you've got any sense, so to get that same temperature it needs to be more like high 20s

The humidity is a big factor too. I know when we've been in Fiji and it's been high 20s, low 30s, it feels really hot compared to those same temps here in super-dry Adelaide. I think generally when it's warm in the UK, the humidity is a little higher than here, so it feels so much warmer. Plus there's the novelty factor..... :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Hope everyone enjoys some sunshine over the Easter break whichever country you're in.

Funny how you aclimatize to the weather is'nt it?When I lived in Adelaide I used to think 22c was crap.I had experienced temps of up to 47c!:biglaugh:Now when its 22c(UK)it actually feels warm!Incredible!I have caught the sun a few times in the last 2 weeks and its so nice to sit out in.Sat outside today actually with a glass of wine,sunnies on,and very relaxing.I think having lived in SA for a long time,it makes you more sun aware.Since living over here,when we travel oversea's,we still slip slop slap and sit in the shade!

As others have said I don't think it's just about acclimatizing, but that the same temp in two different places can feel very different because of a whole range of other factors. I remember once getting on a place in the UK in mid twenties heat, then getting off in Greece in mid twenties heat and it felt much cooler.

Strange, isn't it?

Jim