Living by the sea in the UK, would you have come here??

Guest Guest5035

Guest Guest5035

following on from my thread about the warm weather at the moment in the UK, MOST of us in Adelaide are within a 30 minute drive of the beach/sea. I was wondering if you lived the same distance from the sea/beach in the UK would you have still emigrated here.

My nearest beach was skegness/mablethorpe:huh:

stevo

Guest Guest75

We lived in Leeds so it was always a massive trek for us to get to the sea,especially as we only had Bank Hols off.

The proximity of the sea was a massive attraction to us and I think virtually everyone who has moved/ is moving here.:cute:

Guest cornish Busdriver

Im from Kernow so spent all my time and grew up by the sea and some amazing beaches.

I emigrated here, just made me think are the emmets still trying to find Porthemmet beach lol lol lol.

Guest jodiep

I was from Cornwall too and lived a ten minute walk from the beach. We were lucky and had the beach and the countryside! Downside was that the Mother in law lived a two minute walk from our house so moving to Oz was the best thing I ever did. She is now the Ex Mother in Law and I dread to think what it could of been like had we still lived in England!

Hey, Im from sunny New Brighton,

damn right i would still have moved here, :biglaugh:

The beaches in the north west (mersey region) arent what i would call attractive, they did for a day out on the cheap, but not exactly clean..............

Ha i had forgot about that! Kids would glow after going there but good with the bikes. Cant say i miss the chemical factories of Ellesmere Port lol xx

I used to live 5min bike ride from jumping in the English Channel. Ive lived by sea all my life.....and still am.............but not quite as near as I would like!!

Guest Jo&Phil

I lived one 2 roads back from the beach on the south coast ...........however when I say 'beach' this meant pebbles and so is actually not really allowed to be called a beach according to my Australian husband!

When we lived in Norwich it was about a 40 min drive to our favourite beach, Sea Palling. Sea Palling was very much like some of the beaches here except, well, temperature!!! We just loved it, and I'd say it's possible we went to the beach more there than we have here (which is madness...!).

But I ENJOY the beach so much more here!!!!!!!! It's only circumstantial that we've not been a great deal this past year, and we went twice in one week this week to Semaphore / bit further down at a friend's house, and it was FANTASTIC.

I spent many years living on the south devon coast. Had Torquay, Paignton, Brixham and other places within a short drive. My mother had a house for many years within 5 minutes walk of a beach.

And I couldn't wait to leave. It was alright in the summer for nightlife and stuff but winter about half the shops shut down, so did restaurants, take outs and clubs. And in summer it was always hell to park or even walk down the streets as they were so full of tourists. Same with the beaches. Most locals avoided the main ones like the plague.

And now at 40 I've been saying for years I'd never live in that area again. And I won't. I settled in Somerset. And even though we lived a 5 minute drive from the coast and it had tourists, it was nowhere near as bad and commercial as outh Devon. Even now we live a 15 minute drive from a 'seaside town' and I groan at the thought of having to go there :eek:

I'm not a fan of most English seaside resorts. I find them tacky and expensive and well, I was over them a long time ago.

We are not moving to Adelaide for the beaches anyways :cute: Its a whole lot more than that. Besides, heck of a lot more coastline and a lot less people should have me find somewhere beach wise I like to spend time on.

The sea had nothing to do with the move.

Being 100% serious, I think looking out at the sea when its dull and raining is one of the most depressing sites ever. Yes it doesn't rain much here but give me the Hills, Linear Park etc anytime.

When its raining bush walking is OK, walking in the beach in the wind and rain with a dog.....no thanks.

Guest Guest5035
The sea had nothing to do with the move.

Being 100% serious, I think looking out at Liverpool playing when its dull and raining is one of the most depressing sites ever. Yes it doesn't rain much here but give me the Hills, Linear Park etc anytime.

I agree!!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

stevo;)