alot of Murders??

Guest Guest5035

Guest Guest5035

Is it me or what, but Adelaide seems to be having a murder more or less every 3 or 4 days recently, whats going on? I see they've just found another suspicous body at Strathalbyn...:huh:

Stevo

Guest Guest5035

copied and pasted this bit from the Tizer. Things do happen in sleepy Adelaide, but sometimes not the right thing.

The woman's death was the fourth suspicious death this month.

Last Wednesday, a Paralowie man was found murdered in the rear yard of his home.

The previous Saturday, Marino man Hamilton Wiseman was killed and his home set on fire. A man has been charged with his murder.

On April 8, the body of Flagstaff Hill man Andrew Negre was found in Hallett Cove. Mr Negre died after going missing on April 1 and two men have been charged with his murder.

Stevo

Guest Guest5035
Weren't all the murders by people who knew the victim, rather than random killings?

yep, but just showing people that adelaide does have serious crime, it seems to get forgotten on this site.

stevo

I remember a news article a good number of years ago now citing Adelaide as a city with a high crime rate in world wide comparison figures. Can't find it now but here's another that did come up:

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/predators/adelaide/corpses_1.html

Truly many of us know that the grass isn't always greener, we have to decide where we are going to live according to what suits us and not idolise it! Or bag the old place too much. :)

Guest Squareman

Call me dismissive, but coming from Johannesburg, I really don't see what all the fuss is about! LOL

I don't think there is a city in the world with a population of over a million people where there isn't a murder at least once or twice a day! I don't think CSI Adelaide will be coming to our screens any time soon! I agree (for once) with Adelaide Now. Most of these crimes appear to related to revenge attacks/drug deals etc.

There does seem to have been a spate of them, but again I guess because everything gets reported (however ineptly!), it can sometimes make it seem like Adelaide is a den of iniquity!

Unfortunately wherever you get groups of people with different viewpoints, different attitudes, and different lifestyles, there's going to be conflict. I often wonder if the fact that the police are armed here means that the criminal element feels the need to carry guns as well, leading to a simple argument maybe getting out of control and ending up as a shooting rather than a punch-up. Both with the potential to be equally horrible I admit.

Perhaps someone in the UK (Moonraker?) could give us an idea of what's going on there at the moment? Reading occasional copies of the Weekly International Express I get the impression people are getting murdered and stabbed left right and centre there... but of course, I am happy to believe that media can sometimes be a little biassed and not necessarily truly representive....!!

I know it would be nice if sleepy Adelaide stayed a quiet backwater with nothing happening here, but I guess progress - in all its forms - comes to us all eventually!

Guest Guest5035

Unfortunately wherever you get groups of people with different viewpoints, different attitudes, and different lifestyles, there's going to be conflict. QUOTE]

Nice one Diane.............just like that on here isn't it??

stevo

Of course Stevo, and healthy debate is good, snide comments and aggressive arguments bad! Let's all play nicely and respect each others differing views and the PIA playground will be a nice welcoming place. Any issues, you and me, behind the bikesheds, now!!!

There does seem to have been a spate of them, but again I guess because everything gets reported (however ineptly!), it can sometimes make it seem like Adelaide is a den of iniquity!

Unfortunately wherever you get groups of people with different viewpoints, different attitudes, and different lifestyles, there's going to be conflict. I often wonder if the fact that the police are armed here means that the criminal element feels the need to carry guns as well, leading to a simple argument maybe getting out of control and ending up as a shooting rather than a punch-up. Both with the potential to be equally horrible I admit.

Perhaps someone in the UK (Moonraker?) could give us an idea of what's going on there at the moment? Reading occasional copies of the Weekly International Express I get the impression people are getting murdered and stabbed left right and centre there... but of course, I am happy to believe that media can sometimes be a little biassed and not necessarily truly representive....!!

I know it would be nice if sleepy Adelaide stayed a quiet backwater with nothing happening here, but I guess progress - in all its forms - comes to us all eventually!

Di, UK will always have more murders, as there are more people, and all live close to eachother. There are also more good people there.

Call me dismissive, but coming from Johannesburg, I really don't see what all the fuss is about! LOL

I don't think there is a city in the world with a population of over a million people where there isn't a murder at least once or twice a day! I don't think CSI Adelaide will be coming to our screens any time soon! I agree (for once) with Adelaide Now. Most of these crimes appear to related to revenge attacks/drug deals etc.

I thought you were Scottish, as per a previous post?

I thought you were Scottish, as per a previous post?

Aww Matt, just when Squareman was actually agreeing with you, you go and spoil it!!

It does seem that the police have pretty quickly got suspects for all the recent murders though, so I guess it's marginally less worrying than random violence...

Aww Matt, just when Squareman was actually agreeing with you, you go and spoil it!!

It does seem that the police have pretty quickly got suspects for all the recent murders though, so I guess it's marginally less worrying than random violence...

Sorry, it was a genuine query re Mr Squareman. He said ihe was Socttish.

Anyhow whilst I am agreeing with all, I am off for a while see ya!

Guest Guest5035
Of course Stevo, and healthy debate is good, snide comments and aggressive arguments bad! Let's all play nicely and respect each others differing views and the PIA playground will be a nice welcoming place. Any issues, you and me, behind the bikesheds, now!!!

any time Diane anytime:D:D:D

stevo

According to wikipedia, statistics on homicides per 100,000 of population

UK = 1.28

Australia = 1.3

so UK is slightly better.

Within that South Australia = 1.52 (worse than national average)

Victoria is best in Oz at 0.8

England and Wales = 1.19

Scotland = 1.5 *

NI = 1.59 *

* Scotland and NI both report murders and attempted murders in the same figure (whereas England and Wales and Australia exclude attempted).

Interestingly South Africa = 34 and the worst country is El Salvador = 71 !!!!

Guest Squareman

If the weather was better in the UK, there'd be a lot more murders there. Half the time, the murderers can't get out to do their thing because it's peeing down or snowing...... ;-)

Guest Squareman

As for South Africa, its widely accepted there that the murder rate is 3x times as bad because many such crimes go unreported. There isn't a culture of reporting crimes to the police (for good reason) nor are births and deaths registered with the appropriate authorities as they do in more developed countries.