Kindles? Anyone got one?

Diane

Just been reading on the parent site about Kindles (have I got that name right?) which seem to be something like an electronic screen you can read books on....

Has anyone got one? What do you think? Is it worth it? Where did you buy it? Are they easy to recharge and how long does the battery last?

I read loads of books and my house is full of them - just wondering if getting one of these Kindle things would mean I could carry on doing this without having to buy more bookshelves! (Somehow I just can't bring myself to part with most of the books I have, even though I rarely read a book twice!)

Bear in mind this is from someone who has only just upgraded to Foxtel IQ so I'm not exactly Queen of New Technology (although I am Queen, just generally, and I have the prettiest nose....)

I have a 3G Kindle. My wife bought it for me last year on Amazon in the UK prior to us moving out to Adelaide. I can honestly say it is now one of my prized possessions. I still have my UK Amazon account set-up with my UK bank account for purchasing books. I must admit I have not bought any books for a while as I have been reading classics which you can download for free. I am currently reading all the Sherlock Holmes books (downloaded FREE) they are fantastic.

I would recommend the Kindle cover with the light attachment for reading in bed or on airplanes at night. The cover also protects the Kindle.

The screen design is amazing and its just like reading from a piece of paper causing no eye strain unlike reading from a computer screen.

I'm not sure the best way to buy one in Australia but if you read a lot get one, you can take your library with you it hold about 14,000 books. The battery life also lasts ages although this is reduced if you leave wifi on. I only switch the wifi on for updates and when buying a book.

Go on treat yourself..

I would recommend a sony e-reader over a kindle. They're not tied to amazon and take more types of formats than the kindles do (last I checked). There are several australian sites where you can buy ebooks (some even surprisingly cheaper than amazon US/UK prices for the same book). On top of all the old classics out there (anything out of copyright you can get as an ebook for free).

Very easy to use, just plug it in, and drag the files across to the e-reader, just like using a USB stick. (There is software that comes with it, but I've not bothered installing it yet as have only been using the free books)

Guest needtogonow

Give it a go a see what you think. Some people love them and they are brilliant for holidays.

Others (some of my customers say) they miss curling up with a good book and then seeing on their book shelves after.

They can be very economical but a pain when they break and I also have people buying books whilst their kindles are being repaired.

Many of my customers use a kindle and still buy books.

Personally I love the smell and feel of a new book, its a very tactile experience (but then I would be slightly bias being a bookshop owner).

Happy Reading.

Bex

I got bought a Kobo for christmas and I think its great, It doesnt have a light but that doesnt bother me as I have the lamp on anyway. Havnt bought any books yet but have downloaded plenty of the free ones, very easy if your devise has wi-fi. Battery lasts for ages, last time I recharged was last month some time!

Guest browny_oh

I too have loads of books, as _oh will attest to. I bought a kindle prior to coming over in November and haven't looked back, I read every day for at least an hour and have only charged my kindle up 3-4 times since arriving.

Whilst a good book can't be beaten for feel, the convenience is something else. Especially as the book arrives over the airwaves shortly after ordering it, rather than sea via book depository (other bookshops are available:) )

The only thing that bothers me is that they should be slightly cheaper than books and on occasion can be more expensive.

Oh no, now I'm even more confused - Kindle/Kobo/Sony Ereader!?

I guess I need to do one of those little +/- charts to compare and contrast! I did a quick search on Lasoo and found that Myer sell the Sony Ereader over here, but not sure if anyone but Amazon sell the Kindles? If they're only available from overseas, are they harder to get repaired when/if something goes wrong? Where do you customers get theirs repaired, Bex?

I do love the look and feel of a book, but on the otherhand I do now have more books in my house than I really have space for... guess I could sell some of those to raise funds to buy a Kindle/Kobo/Sony thingy! Keep thinking though that one day my kids are going to want to read all my Dick Francis books... Could certainly get rid of some cookery books though - have loads of those and only ever use one or two, the rest I get recipes from online instead!! Wonder if there's much market for second hand cookery books....!!!!

Why don't you pop down to Myer and have a hands on look at it? see if you like the feel of it.

I know the sony were selling like hotcakes before Christmas, there were lots of places selling them on Rundle Mall, so shouldn't be too much of a problem getting them fixed if there are issues.

The trouble with getting something like an IPad when I just want to use one of the functions is similar to that I find with my phone. It has so many functions and stuff it does, but that just makes it a jack of all trades, master of none. My "smart" phone has a great diary/calendar function, which is really useful, can be used as an MP3 player, to surf the internet, as a camera, as a GPS thingamijig....but to be honest, as a phone it's pretty hopeless (mainly because it has a touchscreen on which my ear unintentionally makes selections when I'm trying to talk on the phone!)

As I generally carry a largeish handbag with me at most times, I'd really rather have a phone that just works really well as a phone, an electronic organiser that works really well as that, a separate camera, a laptop if I need one to check emails (and PIA!) and an Ebook reader that's specifically designed for that! I also have a Navman but being a control freak I've stopped using it, as I reckon I can find my route better using a mapbook than it can with its teensy weensy electronic (probably designed by a man!) brain!!!

I don't think I'm a good candidate for an IPad!

(mainly because it has a touchscreen on which my ear unintentionally makes selections when I'm trying to talk on the phone!)

Thats so funny because mine does the same and it wasn't till I went back to the shop to have a moan about it and the helpful sales girl asked me if I locked it. By locking the phone when making or answering a call it stops that from happening. Give it a try, I did and now its fine, lol.;)

The advantage of the e-readers/kindle etc over an ipad is the screen. the e-ink technology is designed to reflect light rather than emit it, and doesn't refresh constantly like phone/ipad/computer screens. This makes it much less strenous on the eyes (equivalent to reading a paper book), and also gives it the advantage that the battery life is orders of magnitude better when reading.

Thats so funny because mine does the same and it wasn't till I went back to the shop to have a moan about it and the helpful sales girl asked me if I locked it. By locking the phone when making or answering a call it stops that from happening. Give it a try, I did and now its fine, lol.;)

I can answer my phone when it's locked, but I can't phone out without unlocking it to "dial" the number (just realised that no-one dials numbers on phones these days! Guess that word needs updating!!)

I guess I could dial... then lock - must go look up how to do that, as only time my phone ever gets locked is when it does it itself after a certain length of time - I've never deliberatly done it! I did mention I was a technophobe....??

Thanks everyone for your input anyway, think I will try and get an EReader, but will definitely go have a play in a shop first to see which type I like best :D

Guest browny_oh

Diane,

Kindle is only available via amazon (com or uk, in fact best registered with both to get deals on ebooks from uk or us), regarding repairs I have dropped mine a few times and the bag it travels in (not yet bought a lit case) and not yet had to repair it, although the back did pop off at Heathrow airport (48 hours after getting it in my paws!) but it popped back on easy.

I agree with other posters about the screen on ereaders vs ipad/tablets. The screen on my kindle is great, looking almost like ink on paper with no eye strain (even reading in twilight, I just enlarge the font a bit)

I would definitely try and get your hands on as many as you can, I live in CBD and happy for you to have a play with a kindle after you have tried the others as I'm not sure how you would try one without buying.

Hi, I bought my wife, Lisa a sovos 5" ereader from play.com over here in the uk much chaper than than the Kindle/sony one. The kindle and the sony use something called true ink or some thing and require a light to read them when its dark, the battery life is good .

The one I bought was another make called sovos-this one is back lit similar to a lcd screen and in colour- you can read whilst in bed or in the dark -so no additional light is required. It also play mp3s, music, view photos and films plus you are not tied in to any one format of files that can be used.

Usually on this sort you can put your media - books/music/films on to an external SD card 'drag and dropping' from your pc to the card.-some can take upto an 8g Card- A standard 2g sd card will hold hundreds of books anyway.

Lisa was 100% against the e-readers to start with so buying one was a risk- She would not be with out it now-well worth its money- you can even buy the books from ebay where you can get thousands for a couple of pounds,

I ended up buying one however got mine from asda online and only payed £55 including postage and packaging(dont think they export) too and i dont read much-i would suggest just googling them an there will be plenty of reviews and comparisons on there,

good luck i am sure you will make the correct decision

Andrew

• 1 month later...

Well, after much research and debate (mainly with myself) - I decided to go with the Kindle, which arrived this week.

I decided that although initially I didn't like the extra space taken up by the keypad on the kindle in comparison to the touchscreen of the Sony E Reader, the fact that touch screens generally don't recognise my touch as that of a human (I have very cold fingers - I think I must feel like a dead person to a touch screen sensor!) was the deciding factor, as well as the lack of decision making needed if I just have to order e-books from Amazon. I also like the colour choice of the Sony E Reader - I really fancied a red one! - but have found that there are a range of "skins" for the Kindle, so I have a nice sunset coloured one now (or I will have when I put it's skin on!)

So....... thanks again for everyone's comments, and I'm now the proud owner of a Kindle, slowly learning my way around it.

Any Kindle-specific hints and tips therefore now gratefully received!

Diane