Colder inside than out!

Riponian

This has probably been asked before but WHY is it so COLD inside the house!

Are all houses the same? Lived in 2 and it was dreadfully cold inside during the day, especially if your sat working at PC.

Last winter was the same but it really makes the winter seem worse than it is here, I mean it's not going down single figures much at night either so why am I sat here with four layers on 3 pairs of socks and still cold!!! :arghh:

Any tips to warm the house up with out huge Gas bill or running round the house all day to stay warm?

I am fine once I am in bed, the cats come in and warm the bed up and I have my hot water bottle to cling to lol

Is the house double brick? Ours is and it hold the cold once it gets cold and the heat once it gets hot.

Blankets, robes and a hot bath! That and a combustion heater - as long as you don't mind dragging in wood and setting a fire, it is very very cost efficient.

Basically it's because the houses aren't built to keep heat in. I'm an Architect and it still staggers me how poor the building methods are here.

There is rarely insulation, and timber frame lets heat out very fast if not insulated, and double glazing doesn't seem to exist either. Floor insulation isn't ever installed either unless spec'd.

Even double brick isn't a good insulator. For example, wall thicknesses are about 250mm here, where as nowadays in the UK they are 350mm with 75mm of insulation and the inner leaf uses insulating blocks.

Trouble is, you can't really build the same here as european houses are built, although when I design my house it shall be to British design.

Basically it's because the houses aren't built to keep heat in. I'm an Architect and it still staggers me how poor the building methods are here.

There is rarely insulation, and timber frame lets heat out very fast if not insulated, and double glazing doesn't seem to exist either. Floor insulation isn't ever installed either unless spec'd.

Trouble is, you can't really build the same here as european houses are built, although when I design my house it shall be to British design.

Yep, most of our floors are concrete, but the hardwood we have in the front 2 rooms...well, you can see that from the basement!

I did think you could get double glazing - planning on that for all my windows when we finally redo them.

How is it that you can't build the same as overseas?

How is it that you can't build the same as overseas?

Because the tradies will laugh at you. Plus, a UK design would sweat a little too much in 40 degree heat, although with the correct design taking into consideration solar gain and shading then it could be fine.

Double glazing is available here, just quite rare still.

Guest guest4504
Is the house double brick? Ours is and it hold the cold once it gets cold and the heat once it gets hot.

Blankets, robes and a hot bath! That and a combustion heater - as long as you don't mind dragging in wood and setting a fire, it is very very cost efficient.

Can you get cavity wall insulation in Adelaide ? They has been some improvements in insulated wall covering ( not the polystyrene wallmerine stuff ) expensive but does work.

Guest Jo&Phil

I bet you thought you were coming to a warm country and now you're wearing a coat in the house! I know, it's a tad chilly when the weather cools and you find that no central heating and no double glazing 'because we have a mediterranean climate' is a bit odd. We'll all be changing over to our winter curtains like Grandma did and snuggling up under a blanket on the sofa.

I suggest put another cat on the bed ............. or

We had a wood burner which was lovely except for having to clean it so now have a gas equivalent which is fabulous and the gas bills aren't too bad. You can also get reverse cycle air con and heating which I'm not a fan of but other people love it.

Thanks everyone, I do open the back window to let said cats in and out when I'm in which most of the time, working from home and in with he kids. We are only renting at the mo and don't think we we will be able to afford to buy a UK style house although would be nice.

Gas fire option sounds good, like you say it's a question of getting used to it... or move state lol ;-)

Guest Guest75

I remember that your main living room has tall ceilings???

That's where the heat is going.

Did I spot a log burner at your place?? Might be worth firing up.If you've not used one before give us a shout.

It's sure cold on a morning in the hills here - just hanging on for as long as possible before we light our fire.Once lit we do like to keep it going.

The opening windows theory is correct!!

I remember that your main living room has tall ceilings???

That's where the heat is going.

Did I spot a log burner at your place?? Might be worth firing up.If you've not used one before give us a shout.

It's sure cold on a morning in the hills here - just hanging on for as long as possible before we light our fire.Once lit we do like to keep it going.

The opening windows theory is correct!!

Yes you would be right about the high ceiling and it is just a gas fire in the lounge are rarely put it on as it does not really heat anything! lol

Guest Guest75
Yes you would be right about the high ceiling and it is just a gas fire in the lounge are rarely put it on as it does not really heat anything! lol

Shame that gas fire does not do much.

Some high ceiling house have some small opening windows you open with a pole - anything like that (sorry can't remember)

Guest Guest75

You never get used to it Michelle - well we havn't after 11 years.

Took us years to buy and electric blanket!

If you just need to get rid of the first cold air on a morning why not buy a fan heater with a thermostat on??

You'd have to be really strict with usage though - more just to get rid of the first cold air??

Guest Guest5035

our house gets cold in the winter, but all the floors are tiled, so in the summer its lovely and cool, some you win some you lose.

stevo

Guest Guest75
our house gets cold in the winter, but all the floors are tiled, so in the summer its lovely and cool, some you win some you lose.

stevo

That's a though,tiled floors do nothing to help in winter.

Get yourself a few rugs???

Guest Guest5035

I agree with our leader, woodies are brilliant, we use ours from around midday until beddy buys, until midday we use the ducted heating. Wood sounds expensive at around $275 a tonne, but if you get the right stuff a tonne would last.

stevo

Because the tradies will laugh at you.

Double glazing is available here, just quite rare still.

If they ever show in the 1st place - Aussie tradies are shockers!

Yeah, still haven't found a great installer hence not having [new] windows yet:/

Even double brick isn't a good insulator. For example, wall thicknesses are about 250mm here, where as nowadays in the UK they are 350mm with 75mm of insulation and the inner leaf uses insulating blocks.

Good houses are well designed and are OK -you get what you pay for.

UK has central heating, we don't here You can get it), that is the big difference.

Our house is cold in the winter, but the flip side is it very rarely gets very warm in the summer. And yes, its double brick and well insulated..

Good houses are well designed and are OK -you get what you pay for.

UK has central heating, we don't here You can get it), that is the big difference.

Our house is cold in the winter, but the flip side is it very rarely gets very warm in the summer. And yes, its double brick and well insulated..

You're correct - but in my experience, people won't pay for a properly designed house here. They just want "enough" to pass the BCA basically. Which is bugger all.

You do get what you pay for, and if you skimp on the build, you pay for in heating and cooling!!

Anyone needing a house designed, drop me a PM as I've quite a lot of experience in the energy efficiency area - especially having worked in the UK for 11 years before coming here.

Also, the opening a window to let the warm air in is true!! So if you're house is cold, open a window or two slightly to allow some of the warmer exterior air into the building.