End up like Britain??

Guest Guest5035

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest moonraker1959

Unfortunately there is no escape from it.We have asylum seekers,as does the US,why should Australia be any different?Thats the way the world is going I'm afraid.

Guest Buttons

and why shouldn't people in war torn countries seek asylum? why should they live in danger, and fear that they are going to be raped and murdered and their children taken and turned into killers?

You moved your family from England for a 'better' life, and your family weren't facing the dangers that the asylum seekers are.

Everybody has the right to live without fear.

Guest Guest5035

You moved your family from England for a 'better' life, and your family weren't facing the dangers that the asylum seekers are.

we came via the front door, then we integrated with the australian ways, then we became citizens, then we obeyed the laws and didn't preach anything.

stevo

Guest Buttons
we came via the front door, then we integrated with the australian ways, then we became citizens, then we obeyed the laws and didn't preach anything.

stevo

These people don't have time or probably the money to come via the front door - they are fleeing for their lives. I am sure when they are here that the majority of them will integrate with the australian ways, and they would love to become citizens, and they obey the laws. There will always be the minority that spoil it for the genuine asylum seekers, and they should be the ones that are sent back.

I wonder how many British 'legal' immigrants have a criminal record since being here? How many people come on this forum 'preaching' about the right way to live?

And let me ask one more thing - which takeaway are you enjoying tonight? Chinese? Indian? Vietnamese? Thai?

I think it's a shame if we can't allow others the opportunity to flee from persecution, or financial hardship, or whatever motivating factors they have for coming here.

We can hardly claim to want to keep this sunburnt land all to ourselves, seeing as our own history in "taking" it isn't exactly honourable. Many people are refugees from something or other, it's just that some of us are educated and have the luxury of either being entitled to live here by marriage or because we have a desirable occupation. A lot of people are running away from things in the UK and elsewhere coming here... it's just that they can do it officially and without standing out too much.

Rather than worrying whether Australia is going to "end up like Britain" (and I assume that is another reference to Britain being "watered down" by migrants, etcetcetc) I think we ought to be more concerned about ending up like America - and by that I DON'T mean with reference to migration / refugees and the like. I mean in many other ways in which the US is a big influence on Australia. We live in a global village. We can't live in isolation, not even in sleepy Adelaide. And we certainly don't have the right to demand to keep it for ourselves.

Since arriving in Australia, I have been quite shocked at the prejudice that exists here. For a country built on immigration, and very recent immigration at that, everyone is pigeon holed. You are a pom, kiwi, wog, etc etc unless you have been born here in which case you have more right to be here than anyone even though your parents came over in the 60's. There are very few here with the right to call themselves Australian & they are treated like sh/t. You are also pigeon holed into an age category - gen x, gen y, baby boomer. You are white, european, asian, black (anyone with more than a bit of a tan). A city dweller, a country person. Never just a person. As a recent immigrant, in the eyes of the 'Australians' I am a pom and will always be a pom regardless of if I hold citizenship or not. It's quite acceptable for this racism to exist here and many will justify it as harmless banter but all it does is highlight differences. Is it any wonder that asylum seekers have such a hard time trying to fit in here?

Guest cornish Busdriver

Excuse me but this is getting a bit heated i think.

But in my opinion no-one here has the right to say anything about migrants as the only true aussies are the aboriginonals and torrens islanders.

Australia is a migrant country; built & created by migrants.

Since arriving in Australia, I have been quite shocked at the prejudice that exists here. For a country built on immigration, and very recent immigration at that, everyone is pigeon holed. You are a pom, kiwi, wog, etc etc unless you have been born here in which case you have more right to be here than anyone even though your parents came over in the 60's. There are very few here with the right to call themselves Australian & they are treated like sh/t. You are also pigeon holed into an age category - gen x, gen y, baby boomer. You are white, european, asian, black (anyone with more than a bit of a tan). A city dweller, a country person. Never just a person. As a recent immigrant, in the eyes of the 'Australians' I am a pom and will always be a pom regardless of if I hold citizenship or not. It's quite acceptable for this racism to exist here and many will justify it as harmless banter but all it does is highlight differences. Is it any wonder that asylum seekers have such a hard time trying to fit in here?

Your words are strong but you've also hit on something that I have also noticed. I'd not even really thought much about "baby boomers" etc and certainly didn't know what their defining behaviours are supposed to be... but a good friend of mine often talks about her inlaws and mine in these reference terms - I have had to ask her to tell me about baby boomers and what exactly that is supposed to mean. Their generation is stereotyped as much as any other of these categories. Interesting isn't it that the UK is supposed to be the society with the class system and yet here we do have many derogatory terms and "sub-classes" (and sub-cultures).

Back to "good old" Sam Kekovich. He'd never get away with that stuff elsewhere in the world.

Guest cornish Busdriver
take a look in your local centrelink office.most of these immigrants are here for the easy life same as U.K.they bring nothing to the table.:realmad:

Thats life, personaly ive never seen the inside of a job centre or a centerlink office and never plan to.

stevo

Its not about the people who have true reason for asylum, its about the the fact that the majority of people who come illegally pay a lot of money to do this. So how can they afford it! I would suggest only people who will be used for bad things when in Australia to pay off debt, or potentially dangerous people may be on these boats. Do people who have gone through so much to get out or away from danger, then burn and riot when they have found safety. Be carefull who you protect. If you want to live in Australia you should live as a citizen, follow there laws and work hard for the good of all Australian people and future generations.

Guest Guest5035
These people don't have time or probably the money to come via the front door - they are fleeing for their lives. I am sure when they are here that the majority of them will integrate with the australian ways, and they would love to become citizens, and they obey the laws. There will always be the minority that spoil it for the genuine asylum seekers, and they should be the ones that are sent back.

I wonder how many British 'legal' immigrants have a criminal record since being here? How many people come on this forum 'preaching' about the right way to live?

And let me ask one more thing - which takeaway are you enjoying tonight? Chinese? Indian? Vietnamese? Thai?

I don't have one problem with people that come here to live and do the right thing, integrating, obey the laws, become citizens, via the front door etc etc, its the ones that start preaching allah this allah that, especially when they get on rooftops and start demanding things.

Any immigrant that breaks the law "seriously" like murder and attempted murder, drug dealing should be deported.

One of the reasons why Britain went downhill was because of too many immigrants that were allowed in and then bludged off the welfare system.

( Fish and Chips):D

Stevo

I'm not sure they really find safety. They find the money to leave because they are desperate. Not exactly made welcome and given a great deal of help and sympathy when they get here, are they? Just because they come here illegally doesn't invalidate the reasons they are fleeing in the first place. We could have a bit of sympathy and a little less ivory tower judgement. I don't think many people would put their kids through the conditions they put them through for fun. Plus of course don't forget that a lot of the time they are lied to and tricked by those that organise the human traffick.

Of course there will be some who, by our standards, don't "deserve" the "privilege" of coming to live here... but there has to also be a motivating factor in their own country also. I strongly believe that people will do as much or as little as you expect of them - especially if it's said over them enough,

I've also in the UK known families who have been deported in truly heartbreaking circusmtances, back to real situations that don't bear thinking about. I've also had gangmasters for clients in Norfolk in my last job. The problem with general prejudice and not assessing each case on its own merits is that true hardship is looked over and belittled in big generalisations.

Guest Guest5035
Thats life, personaly ive never seen the inside of a job centre or a centerlink office and never plan to.

have a look Matt when you get chance, but take off your sunnies aswell.

Stevo

Guest cornish Busdriver
have a look Matt when you get chance, but take off your sunnies aswell.

Stevo

Made a promise to myself to never walk through them doors.

Any money I have will have been hard earned and not given to me.

My sunnies are off lol lol lol

http://www.dfat.gov.au/aib/society.html

That puts it into perspective. At no point is religion, specifically not Islam, the issue. Have a look at the stats. Plus, a lot of the languages learned in Australian schools are languages from countries where Islam is a more prominent religion than Christianity, or any other. In fact the largest growing religious belief in Australia is probably atheism. :cute: You can't get away from diversity, even the UK has been populated largely by different cultures "invading" from time to time (or being "invited"... and then discriminated against).

Stevo, there is a book that's available on CD at TTG library - in the spoken word section - called "In My Shoes" or something like that. Get it out, put it on your car stereo on your drive to work, then come back and let me know what you think.

It's written from the viewpoint of an asylum seeker from Afghanistan, spending time in an Australian detention camp.

Obviously it's very slanted towards one viewpoint, but it makes you think about things a lot.

Guest Guest5035

Diane, i have NO PROBLEM with the ones that DO THE RIGHT THING, its the ones that cause the upheaval, what about the cops, firies, guards and ambos that came under attack the other day, what about all the MILLIONS of $ damage done, that wasn't the first or last time. Inverbrackie in the Adelaide hills will be next to kick off. These trouble makers should be kicked out on the NEXT PLANE or even better, boat.

Anyway, i'd rather listen to Adam Lambert than some trouble maker, and the title of the CD is wrong, it should be "in my sandals"

stevo

Guest Buttons

I would recommend that people read the books by Khaled Hosseini (the guy that wrote the Kite Runner), and the book by Chris Cleave 'The Other Hand'.

These books highlight the atrocities that happen in other countries. It's no wonder they are fleeing. I too would want to flee and try and live somewhere safe.

And as for Stevo's post about people preaching about Allah - how is that any different to the people who came over here and tried to convert the Aboriginal people to Christianity??

It's about time we just live and let live.

Diane, i have NO PROBLEM with the ones that DO THE RIGHT THING, its the ones that cause the upheaval, what about the cops, firies, guards and ambos that came under attack the other day, what about all the MILLIONS of $ damage done, that wasn't the first or last time. Inverbrackie in the Adelaide hills will be next to kick off. These troublemakers should be kicked out on the NEXT PLANE or even better, boat.

Anyway, i'd rather listen to Adam Lambert than some foreigner and the title of the CD is wrong, it should be "in my sandals"

stevo

It's written by someone called Alwyn Evans - so possibly of European origin? Here's the link: http://webpac.teatreegully.sa.gov.au/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=1304825H22WG2.621957&profile=ttg--1&source=~!horizon&view=items&uri=full=3100001~!161597~!19&ri=3&aspect=subtab13&menu=search&ipp=20&spp=20&staffonly=&term=my+shoes&index=.TW&uindex=&aspect=subtab13&menu=search&ri=3

Not making any judgements or taking any side in this debate, but seriously, it is worth a listen to.