Cost of TV's

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Hi all

I understand electronic goods etc in Adelaide are more expensive than the UK..... Our HUGE (in a bad way) old Sony CRT "whistler" is still going strong, but it pains me to ship something so colossal when plasma/LCD's are so cheap these days.

This Sony thing of ours...... it's just........ huge. All for a cr*ppy little 28" screen.

Anyway, 2 mins on the Argos website found me this, and Argos isn't majorly cheap:

http://www.argos.co.uk/ProductDisplayTRK019?partNumber=5295889

which looks pretty sweet to me. It works out about what, $500 for a new 42" Hitachi?

Any gadget lovers on here want to let me know if it's really worth buying now - and shipping it? Is all this "it's sooooo expensive over here" type chat a bit exaggerated?

Cheers!

Ryan :goofy:

Guest Trakki

I am no expert on the cost of tvs but JB HIFI had 50 inch plasma for $695 the other day. We got our 42 inch plasma (sanyo) for $600 last year. I would say wait until you get here to get one as yours may not work properly when you get here. Normal bog standard UK tvs need a set top box for them to work here. Someone else will probably be able to give you some more technical info than me.

Guest rich

Wait til you are here. It's not worth stressing while it's in the shipment over whether it'll break or not...

It's not that expensive here - it's just swings and roundabouts i guess...

Guest Mitchell

I got a big flat screen with built in set top box, lot of connections and extras but some weird make (changhong?) and I paid $250 at Harvey Norman a few months ago.

Anyway, 2 mins on the Argos website found me this, and Argos isn't majorly cheap:

http://www.argos.co.uk/ProductDisplayTRK019?partNumber=5295889

which looks pretty sweet to me. It works out about what, $500 for a new 42" Hitachi?

I don't think the price of TVs is too bad, but the choice is more limited - the example you give is a case in point; Hitachi withdrew its consumer electronics from Aus a couple of years ago (as have quite a few others, although there's talk that Philips might reappear because of its recent merger). I find it a bit disappointing comparing what's out there in other countries versus the products that are available on the high st here!

Therefore, if you like a particular make, you might want to investigate its availability here then decide whether to bring it or substitute it for something else ...

Jim

One of the things we noticed when we first moved out here is the "my TV screen is bigger than yours" issue! It's not cars that are a status/wealth symbol here but the size of one's screen, so there is definitely no shortage of them to choose from in the shops here!

I sometimes think people's TV screens are actually bigger than the rooms they put them in (not sure how that can be - perhaps there's a tardis thing going on!)

Guest Mitchell
One of the things we noticed when we first moved out here is the "my TV screen is bigger than yours" issue! It's not cars that are a status/wealth symbol here but the size of one's screen, so there is definitely no shortage of them to choose from in the shops here!

I sometimes think people's TV screens are actually bigger than the rooms they put them in (not sure how that can be - perhaps there's a tardis thing going on!)

Exaggerating size is a boy thing isn't it Fi? Lol

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Thanks all. Chances are we'll leave ours here for the 2 mths we're still around, then give it to BHF when we go. Then buy a new one in Oz when we know the size of our room etc.

The way I see it, it'll cost knack all to ship back in 2 years....... If we don't stay longer that is!!!!!!

Cheers again

Ryan

Guest Mitchell
just remember to shop around, we play myers and HN against each other.

stevo

And don't forget to haggle! Aussies expect to so I'm sure they build it into the price. Gepps cross is great as they have Harvey Norman, good guys, etc all there so you just go round them then play them off against each other.