Phoning back to the UK.

Diane

Hi all

I need some help (well, I need a lot but that's a different matter...)

We've always used Calling Cards to phone the folks back in the UK - you know the ones, used to sell them at Post Offices, you dial a local number, enter an access code, then dial the UK number you need, cost about 1.5c a minute.

Well, recently we've noticed that when we use our current one, we get a really bad line, every time! When the folks call us back, they can hear us perfectly fine, but when we ring them it's really hard for them to hear us, we sound like we're talking from underwater, or the bottom of a bin... they're no spring chickens, the 'rents, and their hearing needs all the help it can get!

So what should we change to? Our home phone is Telstra - should I speak to them and get a plan that includes cheap calls to the UK? I can't get on with Skype, and haven't got a microphone on the laptop we're using plus doesn't the other party's home computer have to be on to use that?

What does everyone else do? I would really like to sort this out, as the calling card method obviously isn't working for us any more :sad:

When replying please bear in mind that I'm completely hopeless when it comes to technical stuff so it needs to be in terms an idiot can understand, please!

D

I can't get on with Skype, and haven't got a microphone on the laptop we're using plus doesn't the other party's home computer have to be on to use that?

D

If you have issues using skype via your computer, it is possible to get skype or other VOIP (Voice over Internet) phones. They look like normal phones, but they're connected via your modem. see here for examples http://shop.skype.com/phones/.

There are three ways of using skype.

1) If the people at the other end also have Skype then you can talk to each other for free. You both have to be online to do this. If you have webcams, you can also see each other if you wish.

2) You can set up a pay as you go account with Skype. This allows you to use Skype to call landlines anywhere in the world for about 1.5c a minute. (some more obscure countries are slightly more expensive, and calling mobiles is also more expensive, can't remember the exact cost off the top of my head). I often will call my parents/sisters landline this way, and they will then boot up their computer and Skype so that we can talk for free.

3) you can pay to have a local number associated with your Skype account, so you could for example have a UK number that people in the UK could dial at the cost of a normal local number, the call would be routed via the internet and your computer/skype phone would ring like a normal phone.

Guest Guest75
Tyke,

Do you use GoTalk on your mobile, or do you use your landline?

D

On the landline,we have a fixed setup which means we don't have to punch in our pin number every time.We just dial the number given (local rate 71260600) and we are on their network.

Looks like a tossup between Skype and Gotalk then, thanks guys. Apparently for GoTalk we pay $24.95 setup fee - which includes $30 worth of credit, then it's 4.5c per minute, with a 15c connection fee. (Or $49.95 for a special handseet, then 0.5c per minute). Skype looks a little cheaper, but I will have to see how the laptop microphone works, and maybe think about getting a plug in microphone to use on that. Will have a play tonight!

Guest Mitchell
Looks like a tossup between Skype and Gotalk then, thanks guys. Apparently for GoTalk we pay $24.95 setup fee - which includes $30 worth of credit, then it's 4.5c per minute, with a 15c connection fee. (Or $49.95 for a special handseet, then 0.5c per minute). Skype looks a little cheaper, but I will have to see how the laptop microphone works, and maybe think about getting a plug in microphone to use on that. Will have a play tonight!

Di have you considered a headset to use with the laptop? I've got one that plugs into the mic and phones sockets and that's much better for calls.

Di have you considered a headset to use with the laptop? I've got one that plugs into the mic and phones sockets and that's much better for calls.

If you're not wandering particularly far from your laptop, you could also get a bluetooth (wireless) headset so you can wander around and do things while you chat. Might make you feel less like you're talking to a computer... (just go into Myers or Harvey Norman etc and ask for a wireless headset that works with skype). They should be plug and go, there'll be a little usb-stick antenna that just plugs into the usb port, and you turn the headset on and put it on your head.

I would definitely recommend getting some form of headset as the microphone will be better quality than most inbuilt ones, and by having the sound coming through the headphones, there's no risk of the microphone picking up the sound of the voice that's coming out of the speakers and creating feedback.

We had a webcam built into our old laptop, but I find me and my family are constantly trying to talk over each other and Skype doesn't let you do that, so we're constantly saying,' "oh sorry, after you!"!! and "sorry didn't catch that"!

Don't know if using just audio does the same?

Guest moonraker1959

Hi Diane,I can't help with the phone call thing but I do use skype very often.(I'm in the UK)I have a headset with a microphone which suits me as its a good excuse to sit on my butt fora while rather than have a blue tooth thingy.If I speak to my family our morning time(UK)its fine,but if I speak to anyone night time(UK time)the quality is'nt as good.It breaks up alot,and the webcam pics freeze,so can be quite annoying.If I want to speak to someone like my sister,if I ring her via skype and she does'nt answer,I then text her,and if she can she'll come to the computer,and vice versa.My sister does'nt have a headset,so its not very private her end as everyone can hear what I'm saying,which sometimes is'nt good!:cute:

Guest Guest5035
Hi all

I need some help (well, I need a lot but that's a different matter...)

When replying please bear in mind that I'm completely hopeless when it comes to technical stuff so it needs to be in terms an BLONDE can understand, please!

D

Have you tried a different calling card?? We use EasyCalling and no problem whatsoever, i'd try using another card, thats alot easier to do first, then if no luck, get technical.

I did a spell check in your quote Diane....

Stevo

Have you tried a different calling card?? We use EasyCalling and no problem whatsoever, i'd try using another card, thats alot easier to do first, then if no luck, get technical.

I did a spell check in your quote Diane....

Stevo

I was using BLOND in its generic meaning Stevo - i.e. anyone who is BLOND not just a BLONDE girl! If you remember your high school French, as soon as there is one male in a group of females, the adjective for the group becomes male!

Thanks all, some interesting suggestions, will look into them all today.

we use skype to call family & friends on the laptops , with those with no pc s we also use skype to call there land line , example - i put $20 calling credit on back in November and im still using it , in fact i have $9 .33 thats talking to my Dad every week for at last 10 minutes, works for us

Guest Guest5035
I was using BLOND in its generic meaning Stevo - i.e. anyone who is BLOND not just a BLONDE girl! If you remember your high school French, as soon as there is one male in a group of females, the adjective for the group becomes male!

Thanks all, some interesting suggestions, will look into them all today.

Diane in your original post #1 you didn't use blond, i rewrote you quote in my reply, and how i wish to be in a group of females!! Knowing my luck they'd be grannies!!:biglaugh:

stevo