Having A Dog Put Down (Whens The Right Time)

minty

:sad: Hi all,

To get away from the waiting for my visa chat ive been putting off a decision.

Weve got 2 dogs and the youngest "Sui" a female border collie that is 9 years old has been poorly for about 2 months. First the vets could not find out what was wrong but after numerous blood tests, xrays, scans ect they diagnosed lung worm. She has finished the treatment for this but has an enlarged heart and gets into trouble breathing. We have got her on steroids to try to help this out but in all honesty its just not working. She has got thin as a rake and has no energy to enjoy walks and is not herself. I dont think she is in serious pain but shes definetly not herself.

We have spent the best part of £1000 in the last couple of months and i have no worrys about this and in my eyes shes not bad enough to be put down. The wife though thinks she is at a stage that her quality of life is suffering and now is the right time. She thinks its better to call it a day before she gets any worse.

I bet loads of you have had to go through this but these were our first dogs so when is it the right time. Hold on as long as possible or call it a day earlier ?

Guest barb

Iam really sorry to read that your dog is so poorly and having a dog and being a dog lover I really do know what you are going through. Its hard to give advice on this one as you have to think what is best for you as a family and how ill the dog is. Some years ago we had our dog of 15years put to sleep as her back legs had started to go from under her,and although she wasnt in any pain we didnt feel she was getting the quality of life that she deserved. It is so sad when a pet is ill and nothing more can be done for them,im sure you know your pet and will do what ever you think is best.

Guest Guest75

Tough call.

I feel for you.

I've had to make this decision quite a few times.

Fortunately I grew up on a farm so have seen "real life"

It's all about stopping the pain and suffering.

If Sui is not suffering - it's a no go.

I's not about the money or time invested.

These lovelies put their entire lives in your hands and expect little back.

Give Sui some more time but as soon as it becomes apparent there is pain or suffering then I'd call it a day.

Tis is coming from someone who classes the animal kingdom into Pets / food or vermin. , so I think I've got a fairly straight and subjective view.

We have 3 Bedlingtons who are our world so not immune from the heartstring tug.:cute:

Hi, thanks for your input.

I completely agree about the money it isnt an issue and she is still happy at home she just cant run or walk far due to the enlarged heart and breathing issues.

There is pain there but in my opinion not severe and the steroids help with that.

Wifes view is its just not enough of a life for a border collie though as she still gets excited to go out but cant go far and is in bits when she gets back. But i think untill it gets worse some life is better then no life.

She will not get any better only worse and she could last a few months or a year or so.

Guest Matt & Suzi

We are in the same situation as you. We let our visa expire 3 years ago because our labrador Murphy was starting with arthritis and we didn't want him to travel all that way and we wouldn't of left him. He is now 13 and a half and has medication everyday but he can still get up and walk slowly to the park, we have said when his legs are too much for him then thats the time to let him go. I don't think there is ever a right time and whenever you loose them you will miss them terribly. People who have had their pet put to sleep often say "we left it too late". I tell myself if they aren't going to get better, maybe it would be kinder to put them to sleep. I also feel a lot of guilt for making the decision if he should live or die. It is such a horrible decision to make.

Guest Adelaide_bound

Its really hard to say without knowing the animal and them 'usually' and them 'now' as it were - I have been through this many many times throughout my life with all manner of creatures, including dogs, and generally the question I ask is, if that were me, would I want to still live on?

I'm very much of the thought that if I (as the animal) were in any pain (proper pain that is, not a little headache, or a twingey knee) and/or I could not live my life as I want to live it (eg not have full control over my 'facilities' in whatever way) I would not want to carry on. Obviously though, this is just my thoughts - whilst I am happy for people to disagree with that line of thought, I hope they are equally happy for me to believe to put a cat on wheels, or to keep a dog alive when it is in pain is animal cruelty.

As I say, its hard to know without knowing your Sui - you will probably know in your heart and are either posting to ease your guilt (not a bad thing at all - I know I still feel guilty about my pet rat who was absolutely riddled with cancer, about 15 years on!), or to confirm you are right to give her a bit more time - so what do you really think deep down?

Sorry for your situation, its never a good time towards the end of an animals life, but at least you can look back and know how happy a life she has had up to now (not saying that it is nec over btw!).

Maybe when they are alive for YOUR benefit, not for theirs?

They say loving means knowing when to let go and I would look into your Sui's eyes and let her tell you. I think they look tired when they've had enough - like life has become an existence rather than being joyful.

It's got to be the nastiest part of pet ownership but it is also a gift we can give .

I think we all feel for you, Sui and your family.

Much love,

LC

With my collie cross, well. I knew. But then I was the only one making the decision, even though hubby was with me, he was my dog. He'd been with me many years before I met hubby.

He was 13 or so, fit and well his whole life. 3 weeks earlier I noticed he was getting breathless when out for walks and was looking thinner so took him to the vets. They diagnosed heart failure (heart enlarging and so on) and prescribed meds. Said he could last weeks, months or even years, depending on how quickly it advanced and how well the meds worked.

Within a week I knew those meds were not working so went back. Tried something new. Did this a couple of times. He was very tired, slept a lot, his breathing was getting heavier and he was losing weight. But he was happy to see me, be with us and our other dog.

That morning 3 weeks or so after this all started I walked downstairs and for the first time in all his years with me he wasn't there to greet me. He was still in his bed, looking at me, his tail wagging feebly. I knew. I made the call half an hour later and asked our lovely former vet (we had moved recently and so he was still under her care as I didn't want to take him to a new vet so late in his treatment) to drive an hour plus to our house for me. Which she did. I am forever thankful I made the decision then and to this day, as hard as it was, I know it was right for him. The vet said I'd done the right thing and any longer he would have really suffered.

I think you'll both know, in your heart of hearts when its time.

:sad: Well i guess from the timing off my post i knew what was comming.

The wife come down stairs this morning and woke me up to say that she was worse.

She would not lay down or sit and just wanted to stand. Her breathing was really raspy and she was really breathing deeply. Dispite all of that could still manage a smile though. We decided enough was enough and after telling the Two girls and lots of tears went to the vets.

Thanks for everyones comments, i guess i already knew that the time was almost up but she was only 9 and a really clever dog, unlike Pete our other one who is just wondering around looking for her.

Thanks everyone.

Guest The Standalofts

So sorry for you, we had to get our 14 year old Spaniel put down at Easter so know what your going through, they are an a important member of the family.

Keep thinking about all the happy memories

Lesley

Guest WAITINGAME

Awww this is really sad and brought a tear to my eyes reading all the comments of people that have lost dog. We lost our dog last christmas he was poorly for about 3 weeks not sure what the problem was just didnt walk or run about the same, took him to the vets and he had two injections then starts weeing blood so took him about and had another injection. Then this particular day he was just lay around def not his self am all he wanted to do was sit on my six yr olds knee...wouldnt let him move. Anyway we put him in the bath to clean were he has blood on his legs my two boys was there watching then went to get him out of the bath rubbing his legs and he just went all limp and died there and then...very quick and very sad...i had to get my two boys out of the room quick...i phoned my mum and panick who called the vets i told my boys to go downstairs and all they was saying whats happened to Gizmo...!! I went upstairs and he was dead...breaks my heart now thinking about it...to be honest am crying writing this...so so sad....if only i didnt bath him. !!

I just told my boys he had gone upto the stars and my mum and dad took him before the boys seen him dead.

Anyway u do what is right with your dog...only you know...but dont let him suffer. xxxx am thinking of you all its not easy. xx

Very sorry to hear about your lovely dog. Pets are just so loving and caring, much easier to understand than people sometimes. Hope you remember all the good times and that last smile you got. You will have to give your other dog lots of hugs and reassurance.

Guest Guest5035

We had our Springer put to sleep 5 years ago, it absolutely cracked me up for a few days. We had him cremated and his ashes are with us in the house, with a picture of him on top of the box, so he's always with us and we can see him.

stevo

Guest Nick11

I am so sorry for your loss.

When I first saw this thread for your post I though..here we go again..an owner who can't be bothered with the cost and hassle of dealing with their dog and trying to kid themselves that they are acting in the best interst of the dog to have them put down. It is a regular theme .

But you seem to have been in the situation as us. Our deal beloved dog lost the loss of his back legs..steroids started not to work. We vowed we would never go over to oz til he had died. He died 5 days before our visa came through ....it's as if he knew.

My advice would be the same as Stevo's. We bought our pets ashes over..all 4 of them and they have pride of place in our house with lots of piccies of them. In times of stress of upset..I even talk to them..daft I know.

Nick

xxx

Guest Jo&Phil

I was going to write 'you will know when it's the right time' as your dog will tell you herself ..... but it seems that has happened.

I know how hard it is to lose a much loved dog - they take up a huge space in your life and in your heart.

All the best to you all

Guest Guest5035
My advice would be the same as Stevo's. We bought our pets ashes over..all 4 of them and they have pride of place in our house with lots of piccies of them. In times of stress of upset..I even talk to them..daft I know.

Nick

xxx

funny you saying that, i said morning mate to my dogs ashes this morning.

stevo

I am so sorry for you and your family (which obviously includes Pete) but it sounds as though you helped Sui move on with dignity and love.

We've been through this a few times now and I still miss them but I still love them and appreciate all the love and laughter they brought to my life. It might sound silly/totally nuts but I feel they are still part of me.

I would suggest you don't dwell too much on the end of Sui's life, enjoy all the memories and lavish twice as much love on Sui's 'brother'.

Anyone who has been lucky enough to have a Sui in their life will know what you are going through now. Much love,

LC