Rellies and illnesses

Guest Guest5035

Guest Guest5035

Just following on from T's thread about "Why Australia", well over the past week my MIL has been informed that she has the Big "C", just waiting on her test results this week. Obviously the OH is devastated and asked me "Why Australia" we are so far away... theres no answer really is there? So once we get the results, she'll go back and wait until the end.:sad:

What did you guys that had the same news do??

stevo

Yes it's really hard, so sorry to hear that.

And its difficult to know what to do with that situation isnt it? My thoughts have turned that way this week because my dad's having investigations for potentially worrying things, and my sister's in strife too... so my parents are struggling emotionally and physically, and they are also having to support my sister and her family. My sister's situation also puts the kybosh on my parents coming over this year, I doubt they'd want to leave her (and I don't really want them to do that, come here and a disaster to happen there, or for her to have no support when they are here).

So we're pretty "stuck". It can work the other way though... turned our back for "5 mins" last year and went to the UK for 4 weeks, and it was (from my point of view) totally WRECKED by my husband's sister's personal crisis this end, as soon as we stepped off the plane there. And we're still suffering the effects of that.

So yes, having a life here and a life there is hard. we have to make the best choices we can and then be brave to face what the consequences of those are. For us it is likely to be having a baby in a few weeks, my parents won't be able to see us for the forseeable and we "wasted" our money last year on a trip we can't afford to repeat.

Now my sister sent me a message about Dad last week and was pretty much saying "mum and dad need our support" (which is code for "i'm annoyed you are there and I am left dealing with this...") and she offered to "help" with a fare over. Havent' a clue what she's / was expecting... I can't hop on a plane at the first sign of illness and won't go without the rest of the family anyway... and neither will I go at 38 weeks pregnant or with a newborn by myself anytime soon either. And I'm not being funny but without a diagnosis or prognosis what am I supposed to do? Sit around and talk about the weather and wait to find out if he's going to die? Sounds horrid but I don't believe that's on the cards, and I will not just jump when sister clicks fingers, we'll have to do a lot of thinking if we go for any length of time. And there's no way Ill go alone.

So... wow. It's a big issue, one we many of us will have to face but our experience last year shows to me that family here are just as much of a problem as family there, for us at least!!!!!

Guest Guest5035
It must be one of the toughest things to deal with, so thoughts are with you and your family Stevo, hope it all works out positively.

(and welcome back by the way)

Thanks D, not bitten the dust yet.

Stevo