Carbon Tax

Guest Guest5035

Guest Guest5035

Does anybody understand whats going on ??? Can someone tell me, if we are going to get tax relief for the CT why charge so much in the first place, why not lower the cost and no one gets a tax relief. Think Julia should be called Pinochio as didn't she say "there will be no CT".

When i was in the UK last year i saw hundreds and hundreds of windmills dotted about, especially down Clacton, out to sea, (Essex must be full of wind). I know we have them here, but aren't they good to the enviroment, or am i missing something.

stevo

some folk class them as eyesores and say its harmful to birds when they fly into the props.

Its free energy at the end of the day, and the props dnt exactly go fast....not like a plane or anything....

I for one dnt think they look too bad....the people whom complian would not be complaining when their leccy bills reduce eh....

HG

Guest Aussie pat

Aussie pat's other half here

I get confused as well, but on the subject of the tax relief...

The government is currently indicating that it will use some of the CT revenue to reduce the tax burden of the less well off, so there will be a cut off point in income at a level to be determined above which you will miss out. They are talking about middle income earners benefiting as well as those on lower incomes.

This is designed to soften the blow of higher prices resulting from the CT (e g electricity) for those least able to afford it, and also achieves a redistribution of income through taxation policy.

I suppose even those who are prepared to pay more for a greener planet will be miffed if the burden falls selectively, while those who believe that those who can afford to pay more should, will support the government's approach.

Another variation on an old theme.

I have to be honest I don't really understand the whole stance on it. Maybe just haven't watched or read enough news. but......

Raise a carbon tax... ok fine, let's reduce green house emmisions, but why reduce the subsidy for solar panels. Surely if you want to encourage green thinking it should be increased to offset the increased carbon tax for people who are doing the right thing by the envoiroment.

One thing I read is, we are one of the worlds worst polluters by population, this could be true, but when we live on an island nearly the size of canada with only 20 million people, almost anything we do would be bad for the envoiroment as we have to move everything so far to get from A to B.

A lot of our industry as well is to do with mining and raw materials, a carbon tax would make the extra added activities we do in australia to support mining less cost effective and some of our heavy industry would be under threat.

I don't believe we should do nothing, but we seem to have rushed through a band aid approach to something, where in reality we could have released a 5 year plan to steadily increase a tax allowing companies and inviduals to adapt over time and give us a chance.

Rant over....