Laptop question - please help!!!!

The Hallidays

Hi all

Can anyone help?

I have a laptop we brought with us last year from UK. The ac adaptor broke so i bought another one 'stupidly' may i add from ebay (came from hong kong) - i know i know it was very stupid of me....

Anyway, i used the new charger for a couple of months and it was working well, however, i then started noticing a burning smell and then the charger died. Now when i plug it in it doesn't work and it smells of burning. I've used the last of the battery power on the laptop so it's completely dead. We're gonna buy a new laptop but how can i get stuff off my old computer - i have loads of pictures and stuff that i don't want to lose...

Does anyone know of anyone that can help me..

Many thanks

Helen

You should be able to get replacement chargers, there is a shop in the city called MSY my husband goes there for all his computer bits and pieces and I am sure places like Dick Smiths, Harvey Norman will have them? Seems a bit drastic to buy a new laptop

Hope that helps

Michelle

Guest cornish Busdriver

What type of laptop is it, i got a few spare chargers kicking around.

As Riponian go to MSY, Computer warehouse, Dick Smith or Harvey norman and you should be able to by a new one.

Be a lot cheaper than buying a new laptop just cause of the charger.

How ever if you do buy a new laptop then buy and external harddrive as well so you can take the old hard drive out and put it in the external and keep that as a back up.

Thanks for your replies...

We went to JBHIFI at colonades and the guy there said we shouldn't buy one from a store as it's best to go to samsung but i haven't had an email back from samsung yet and can't see an option on there website to buy one which is why i went on ebay.

The laptop is a samsung R505 - model: NP-R505H - INPUT: 19V==4.74A

Thanks Diane will drop him an email

Helen

And I shall chime in with

Back up, back up, back up your computer on a regular basis to an external hard drive. Saves lots of tears and frustration if and when something happens to the computer.

We have 4 external hard drives for our two computers. They are set to back up every 10 minutes on the main one for certain things :GEEK: But then I know if anything happens I've only lost the last 9 minutes worth :cute:

But seriously, invest in an external HD and ensure you use it, at least once a week. Don't rely on the back up on the computer itself as if it gets really borked you may struggle to get the data off.

And I shall chime in with

Back up, back up, back up your computer on a regular basis to an external hard drive. Saves lots of tears and frustration if and when something happens to the computer.

We have 4 external hard drives for our two computers. They are set to back up every 10 minutes on the main one for certain things :GEEK: But then I know if anything happens I've only lost the last 9 minutes worth :cute:

But seriously, invest in an external HD and ensure you use it, at least once a week. Don't rely on the back up on the computer itself as if it gets really borked you may struggle to get the data off.

Couldn't agree more, I also suggest that the external drive is not attached or kept near the PC/Laptop. That is why I use an Apple timecapsule.

If they are together and you are burgled, they will both go!