space in suitcases-dummy run

ajford

Hi,

Just thought we should do a dummy run packing the suitcases to see if we would have enough room in them for our stuff?-Big shock to say the least when I had ran out of space in them and there was still loads to go in them.:sad: I dont really have a lot of clothes so or I thought.

In the shop they were called large cases sizes of 71cm x 45cm x 27cm and to be honest there looked to be loads of room in them,:) So we got one each and the slightly smaller ones for the kids to have.(theres are ok with alittle room to spare0

All in all, all we need to do is buy another Luggage holdhall found one that hold approx 150ltrs, So ordered it and should be with us in a few days -we should be ok now.

I am just so pleased I checked before the bigday or it would have been a right suprise-has anyone found similar when packing up there gear?

roll on 7-8 weeks,be there soon

Andrew

Hi,

Just thought we should do a dummy run packing the suitcases to see if we would have enough room in them for our stuff?-Big shock to say the least when I had ran out of space in them and there was still loads to go in them.:sad: I dont really have a lot of clothes so or I thought.

In the shop they were called large cases sizes of 71cm x 45cm x 27cm and to be honest there looked to be loads of room in them,:) So we got one each and the slightly smaller ones for the kids to have.(theres are ok with alittle room to spare0

All in all, all we need to do is buy another Luggage holdhall found one that hold approx 150ltrs, So ordered it and should be with us in a few days -we should be ok now

am just so pleased I checked before the bigday or it would have been a right suprise-has anyone found similar when packing up there gear?

Andrew[/QUOTe

Hi Andrew,

We are packing our suitcases today as moving to my mums for five weeks and

Can't get all my stuff in! And why are hubbies cases twice the size of mine? Feel I will be online soon buying a new bigger bag!

Glad it's not just us!

Cheers

Gill and Mal x

Guest leemina
Hi,

All in all, all we need to do is buy another Luggage holdhall found one that hold approx 150ltrs, So ordered it and should be with us in a few days -we should be ok now.

I am just so pleased I checked before the bigday or it would have been a right suprise-has anyone found similar when packing up there gear?

Andrew

Definately not the only ones doing a dummy run, we did ours last weekend. We're a family of four, two adults, two boys 13 & 11, so basically cos they're in age 14-15 clothes it's like packing for four adults.

This is what we'll be taking:

Two large suitcases (ultra lighweight ones)

Two medium suitcases

Two small suitcases

One big holdall on wheels (for clothes only)

Three rucksacks (hubby and boys)

Laptop bag (inc laptop)

Flight bag (mine)

Handbag (not included in hand luggage, so will be packed).

We've got a couple of those plastic bags that you deflate with the vacumn, and will put my cardigans/jumpers in these. All the suitcases can expand too.

We're moving in with my mum for four weeks at the end of July, the day before the shippers come so have lists of what to ship and also what need to have in luggage, although i'm sure i'll forget something (probably the lists, haha)

Good luck. When you flying??

its lucky we are planing on getting the National Express direct to Heathrow-it could have been fun on the train and tube through London,

Thanks, you do forgett you are not on your own ,lol

good luck with the inlaws, hopefully ours should be only a couple of days,all the best

Guest ebstar

Not done my dummy run and we fly next week. Does anyone know how flexible singapore airlines are with baggage? If we were to be slightly over weight what are the extra baggage charges like? I'm not planning extra but just getting paranoid my scales could be wrong.

Not done my dummy run and we fly next week. Does anyone know how flexible singapore airlines are with baggage? If we were to be slightly over weight what are the extra baggage charges like? I'm not planning extra but just getting paranoid my scales could be wrong.

Hi, there is a thread regarding baggage weight, in the search bar type : how much weight there is a thread by clare-(dont know know to do the short cut link)

hope this helps :)

Andrew

Hi

I looked on the website earlier and seemed to work it out as 60 USD a kg??

Gill x

Excess baggage with Singapore airlines is £40 per Kilo

Guest ebstar

Thanks. Like i say i hope not to need it but with the oh deciding to slip a few tools in our luggage it may be a tight squeeze to stay within weight.

I would strongly recommend doing a dummy run, not just to see if things fit, but also to check weight. Ideally you want to do this before the packers come to get your stuff, so that you can put any excess into the container. Otherwise you'll have to ship it separately.

Most airlines are fine with a kilo or two either way. Do be aware that the scales at the airport and your home scales can be out by several kilos either way. Portable luggage scales can be very handy in proving that you packed to the weight allowance.

Guest moviemummy
its lucky we are planing on getting the National Express direct to Heathrow-it could have been fun on the train and tube through London,

Thanks, you do forgett you are not on your own ,lol

good luck with the inlaws, hopefully ours should be only a couple of days,all the best

Ha ha that is exactly the way we're going to Heathrow, by coach. Didn't think we could manage the tube with 4 bigish suit cases and 4 trolly cases.

Really cheap way of getting to the airport.

L x

When we came over we had the extra baggage due to the visa we had.

We had eight suitcases, two trunkies, two rucksacks, hand bag and a push chair, two children and two adults...

Sorry the photo is out of focus our friend took it and was crying when she took it.

Airport.jpg

Just thought I would show you how bad you will look trying to negotiate your way to check in.

Rob and Mel

When we came over we had the extra baggage due to the visa we had.

We had eight suitcases, two trunkies, two rucksacks, hand bag and a push chair, two children and two adults...

Sorry the photo is out of focus our friend took it and was crying when she took it.

Airport.jpg

Just thought I would show you how bad you will look trying to negotiate your way to check in.

Rob and Mel

wow, it doesnt seem possible, great picture too -i will have to start working out-lol:biglaugh::biglaugh:,

Hopefull we will look like this soon,

Cheers

wow, it doesnt seem possible, great picture too -i will have to start working out-lol:biglaugh::biglaugh:,

Hopefull we will look like this soon,

Cheers

i think i read some where that singapore airline give you double baggage allowance if you phone them and say you are emmigrating, we are flying from manchester so dont have too far to travel ,, good luck:o

I think we will look like you two soon in the picture new bag arrived yep its a very good size , however we now need another case..... . Lucky for us a friend has a new case for sale so we are going to get it off her, hopefully this one will be the last one we require. :)

Love the photo.

Thats what we are going to look like 8 cases + 4 cabin luggage cases.

Must admit the 40kls per person that you get with most airlines when you first emigrate on a unstamped visa is a really good bonus.

Getting through a fair few vacumn bags aswell (hope imigration does not open any or thats it unless there is a hoover somewhere).

Thanks for the comments about the photo.

We have not used the brand new right cases since we got here!

Just for the record we did not use any vacuum bags.

The airlines only lost one of the cases during the three flights it took to get here.

The case they misplaced was during the Manchester Heathrow flight but we did not know till arrival in Adelaide, No one spoke about it in Heathrow or Singapore.(booked cases straight through as not to carry them round Singapore**.

Make sure your cases all weigh about the same Its easier to move and balance them on the trolley and the check in staff will treat you nicely!

Rob and Mel