Techy advice please

The Monaghans

You can turn iPods off. Off course you can, otherwise the battery would run down constantly. All 3 of mine switch off.

To be honest, it's doubtful it will ever live again, but putting it in a bowl of rice in a warm place is your best bet. Trouble is, the detergent will damage electricals, unlike dropping it in a puddle or toilet.

Guest cornish Busdriver

There's an old trick that we do to fix laptops that had spills on them.

Soke it in a bucket of DISTILLED water over night then leave to drain and dry out for a few days.

Soke it in a bucket of DISTILLED water over night then leave to drain and dry out for a few days.

News to me, and I stongly advise against that, can you show me the white paper to tell you to soak electrical circuits in water, distilled or not?

I think you find they go into standby.

When you plug it in to charge what happens? it starts charging and something comes up on the screen, if it was off (ss in if you flicked a switch) nothing would happen.

Plugging in the USB lead to charge makes the unit switch on. And you can choose between standby and fully off as Apple released a firmware update to accommodate it.

But I'm not arguing lol. You sound like you know best.

Hope you get it working, as they're not cheap. My xbox stopped working yesterday so I know how you feel haha.

Leigh, thank you for that, I had no idea you could turn it off completely, however if you don't physically push a button of some sort I think there will be still be some life in it.

You say that when the USB cable goes in it asks if you want to turn it on, so it has some power into it if you get my point?

But as I said I wasn't aware of the update, so thanks.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Just spoke to a mate who's a registered apple repairer and he said not to use the DISTILLED water trick as iPods and iPhones are classed as sealed units.

Best bet is just to take it to a registered apple repairer.

Hey AN the DISTILLED water trick has been used for years by the industry, thought you were up on technology lol lol lol

Guest cornish Busdriver
My cat tried to soak my OH's laptop in water - must have been chatting to you Cornish!! - but unfortunately it didn't work, and the laptop died :sad:

It's gotta be the right type of water; no corosives or contaninmates.

If ya do a laptop make sure and I know it's common sence but remove the battery first lol lol.

Claim on house isnurance and go get another...my ipod does my head in having to go through i tunes to put music onto it...whatever happened to good old drag n drop....

HG

Lol. iTunes is easy to use and takes seconds to put music on. Buy a kmart special to drag and drop. ;)

OK, we've had an unfortunate incident where Richie's precious ipod has been for a nice wash and spin in the washing machine. Serves him right for leaving it in his jeans pocket but that's another story. Anyway got any tips for getting the water out???

Hanging up the washing yesterday, I found our eldest boys ipod touch was in a pocket. Trying the bag of rice trick.

Cooler

Guest cornish Busdriver
Cornish, circuits and water (any type) don't mix!!!!!

Are you getting confused with cleaning individual components????

Na it's an old trick, take the battery out and dump the whole laptop in.

Leave it for 24hrs then drain and dry out for a few days.

Plug it back in and it works sweet as, got 2 on soak and keyboard as well at the moment.

I'm supprised you havnt heard of it before.

na it's an old trick, take the battery out and dump the whole laptop in.

Leave it for 24hrs then drain and dry out for a few days.

Plug it back in and it works sweet as, got 2 on soak and keyboard as well at the moment.

I'm supprised you havnt heard of it before.

i cant emphasise enough - do not do the above!!!!

Guest cornish Busdriver

Matt when people send there laptops off for repaire when they have spilt drinks on them and they still fire up but all the keys are sticky what do you think we do with them.

Strip and clean every single key? Lol lol.

I'm not getting dragged into one of your silly little arguments where you only have a slight idea of what your going on about and therefore you must be right and everyone else must be wrong.

I will pm and deal with you later as I've a lot more important stuff to do right now.

Matt when people send there laptops off for repaire when they have spilt drinks on them and they still fire up but all the keys are sticky what do you think we do with them.

Strip and clean every single key? Lol lol.

I'm not getting dragged into one of your silly little arguments where you only have a slight idea of what your going on about and therefore you must be right and everyone else must be wrong.

I will pm and deal with you later as I've a lot more important stuff to do right now.

Please do not PM me. I am not having a silly argument.

You are talking now about when a machine fires up, whereas before you said don't turn it on.

If you and others think a broken pc with water damage can be fixed by submerging in distilled water - that's fine if keeps you happy.

I standy by advice as saying don't do it. Its up to other posters to decide what to do.

You wouldn't think of that, but there seems to be a fair bit to say (on the web) that's the way to do a laptop etc. Most say deionised, not distilled water.

http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Laptop-from-Liquid-Damage

As you mention, maybe not with an ipod.

Cheers,

Cooler